Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, 6 Seater Cargo Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a six seater and don’t regret it. On long trips we put our dog and her bed in between the two captain chairs. Also, I’m 6’2 and can sit in the third row and be fairly comfortable with my legs in between the captains chairs. 7 seater it would be impossible for me to sit comfortable.

Reactions: JPWX
We've found the 6 seat configuration a godsend for a fussy 2 year old that doesn't want to get into the child seat. Just get them inside the car, close the doors and let them chill out until they're ready. The extra space is also great for changing diapers.

Reactions: JPWX
We have the 7-seater. We have started to go camping and intend to continue (esp w/ covid) hitting all the state and national campsites. Having 2 people able to sleep w/ 2nd row collapsed is huge! The model X allows two people - adult and kid to sleep inside. This setup allows us to tow a smaller/lighter 2 person camper and I figure will give us more options with charging stops. Not to mention lesser cost with a smaller camper. The other benefit is that I can actually store the camper in the garage again avoiding fees. So if you are into camping you might want to consider.
How do you fit 2 adults and kid to sleep in camping mode in the car ?

6 seater is better if you are expecting to have more than 3 full sized passengers often. 7 seater is better for hauling things and works well for smaller people in the way back.
I’ve got a 7 seater and usually only put 6 people in it but value to fold flat a lot.

I had to make the hard decision to forgo the Plaid just because of the 6 seat option wasn't ideal. We ended up with the new LR instead. We have two dogs and two captains chairs won't work. A bench seat with the dogs wearing seat belts is what works much better. I'm not a fan of letting the dog walk around freely as its unsafe.

The other way to carry 2 dogs is dog crates that are strapped down. Again the 6 seater this is nearly impossible as the space behind the middle row slopes down too much for crates. And even if we did somehow get the dogs into the rear area, where would luggage go. I suppose you could throw it on top of the captain chairs but that's not ideal either.

I'm still pissed that Tesla has not released the Plaid in the 5/7 seat options. After all this is an SUV and if you can't utilize a large vehicle like this then better off just getting the Model S sedan. I still dont understand why the captain chairs dont fold down. Get rid of the electric seats and make them fold down. They do this in just about every other SUV!

Have had our 6 seat for 4 years. With a 4 year old and a 2 year old the seats are awesome. For the first 2 years being able to feed and manuver around was great. Now they both love the ability to "walk around" in the car. Additionally, the look of the 6 seater from inside is significantly better in my opinion....looks more like a small plane than a car. I usually leave the 3rd row up but with the headrests down (for visibility). Our new X will be here in a couple of months and it'll be a 6 seater as well. The only real downside I found is that with the 3rd row folded down sometimes stuff can shift/fall into the second row through the middle. It can haul more than I've ever needed for family stuff and have a 4dr jeep and truck for the rest. In fact, it's damn near as big as the Jeep with it's second row folded down I think.

Reactions: Sandiegodoug
I am always amazed at how much the model x can hold. We just completed an 850km day trip in our six seater as we flew to pick up our dog from my wifes parents place.
2 adults, 2 kids
1, 110 pound dog (rides in very back)
1 adult set of golf clubs
2 kids set of golf clubs
1 very large duffel bag
2 large suit cases
4 back packs
1 cooler
huge bag of dog food and lots of shoes stuffed here and there.

put 2 large suitcases betwween the back seats...which is not an option obiously in the 7 seater, and why i feel if you haul more 'piece-meal' stuff than one single large item, and are with people, the six seater is actually better for that purpose.

oh and for those that dont know, adult set of golf clubs will fit in frunk, just have to take out driver and maybe 3 wood which still fit in frunk but due to length need to be placed on top of bag.

we also have storage things hanging for the kids stuff off the seats. looks bad, but practical anyhow.

the only negative....MORE CUPHOLDERS needed. if everyone has a water then buys a drink at a stop, etc.

Reactions: gangzoom
We just completed a 2800 mile tour of Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany in our 75D X, with 6 people on board + luggage....

What can I say, apart from our X is by far the best family car I have ever owned!!

Every passenger loved the trip, on ferry crossings we were surrounded by caravans, minivans, wagons with roof boxes and trailers.....all of them looked as fun to drive on moutain passes as passing a kidney stone.

In comparison the X could haul everyone and everything in comfort, and when the roads became twisty, was able to make me laugh out loud hou fun it was drive.

Road trip to the Swiss Apls and Italien lakes for summer 2023 is already been planned. By than it'll be 7 year since we first ordered the car.

52239332933_09de5d5224_k_d.jpg

52217347983_521874aee9_c_d.jpg

52226237101_bc2463ae64_c_d.jpg

I think we will all support the seat configuration we have. 2 captain chairs in the 2nd row is very popular in minivans and other SUVs. The big difference is that in most cars even the captain chairs fold flat. I still can't understand why Tesla can't make fold flat captain chairs.

Folding flat+bench seat is a fairly big feature for me. We have 2 dogs when we travel. The options are they can use the bench seat and they are strapped into their seatbelts. Or we bring 2 dog crates in which case the 2nd row needs to fold flat. Neither of these options work well with 2 captain chars in the middle row. Once in a long while yes we do end up buying something that just wont fit unless you can fold the middle row flat. Yes I could go rent a car for those times but how annoying. If I am "compromising" driving a large car, I want to be able to fully utilize it. Otherwise the Model S is a good option.

Reactions: preilly44
We just completed a 2800 mile tour of Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany in our 75D X, with 6 people on board + luggage....

What can I say, apart from our X is by far the best family car I have ever owned!!

Every passenger loved the trip, on ferry crossings we were surrounded by caravans, minivans, wagons with roof boxes and trailers.....all of them looked as fun to drive on moutain passes as passing a kidney stone.

In comparison the X could haul everyone and everything in comfort, and when the roads became twisty, was able to make me laugh out loud hou fun it was drive.

Road trip to the Swiss Apls and Italien lakes for summer 2023 is already been planned. By than it'll be 7 year since we first ordered the car.

52239332933_09de5d5224_k_d.jpg

52217347983_521874aee9_c_d.jpg

52226237101_bc2463ae64_c_d.jpg
Where did you get that car caddy behind the driver and passenger seat from? I’ve been looking for one just like that for over a year. I agree with your view of the MX . I couldn’t agree more.