Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90D among 5 Teslas delivered to Munich this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lklundin

Oct 10, 2014
Bavaria
This may not be the most earth shattering news, but I just happened to spot a delivery of five Teslas leaving the Autobahn at the Munich-Feldkirchen service center this morning.

The rearmost Model X is a 90D.

Attachments

• 00000214.jpg
    00000214.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 00000250.jpg
    00000250.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 00000267.jpg
    00000267.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 00000293.jpg
    00000293.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 00000324.jpg
    00000324.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 00000333.jpg
    00000333.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 00000363.jpg
    00000363.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 00000363.jpg
    00000363.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 160
There isn't a Model X delivery in Germany yet?

Interesting question.

Already in January this year a Model X was spotted in Germany, on Ingolstadt plates. This was before Tesla had actually starting delivering Model X in Germany and it was the first Model X on German plates. This lead to speculation that Audi had procured a used Model X from the USA (seemingly from an active poster here, who had no knowledge of the buyer's intentions) - ostensibly to do a little reverse engineering. So as a long time Audi owner I have to say that their motto 'Vorsprung durch Technik'(*) sounds a little hollow now.

There are a couple of sources regarding this first Model X on German plates here:

Tesla Model X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But as of September the forum TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde has happy owners posting photos of their Model X on German plates. So maybe the Munich delivery was among Tesla's first delivery of Model X in Germany.

(*) My English fails me here, but 'Vorsprung durch Technik' means something like 'Ahead via Technology'. In this context Wikipedia translates 'Vorsprung' to 'progress', but this fails to convey the important aspect that 'Vorsprung' implies progress that has brought you ahead of your peers.

Last edited:
Interesting question.

Already in January this year a Model X was spotted in Germany, on Ingolstadt plates. This was before Tesla had actually starting delivering Model X in Germany and it was the first Model X on German plates. This lead to speculation that Audi had procured a used Model X from the USA (seemingly from an active poster here, who had no knowledge of the buyer's intentions) - ostensibly to do a little reverse engineering. So as a long time Audi owner I have to say that their motto 'Vorsprung durch Technik'(*) sounds a little hollow now.

There are a couple of sources regarding this first Model X on German plates here:

Tesla Model X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But as of September the forum TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde has happy owners posting photos of their Model X on German plates. So maybe the Munich delivery was among Tesla's first delivery of Model X in Germany.

(*) My English fails me here, but 'Vorsprung durch Technik' means something like 'Ahead via Technology'. In this context Wikipedia translates 'Vorsprung' to 'progress', but this fails to convey the important aspect that 'Vorsprung' implies progress that has brought you ahead of your peers.
Cool, thanks for explaining. Well, at least Audi wants to build more EVs and willing to look at what Tesla is doing.

By the way, what's German perception of Tesla brand and Tesla cars in general? overpriced ev? a great brand like Apple that German admire? or they think German cars are still the best? I saw a stats couple of days ago showing there are only 3000 something Tesla in Germany.

By the way, what's German perception of Tesla brand and Tesla cars in general?

Germany is in total panic mode over Tesla.

Since I have chosen to live in Germany, I couldn't bring myself to do it unsolicited, but here goes Godwin's law:

About two weeks ago the not entirely insignificant German media wallstreet-online.de actually compared Elon Musk to Adolf Hitler,
Was Teslas Model 3 mit Hitlers VW-Käfer gemeinsam hat

Having written about Hitler and his VW beetle, the paragraph under the subtitle "Plan zur Machtergreifung" (Plan for Powergrab) starts with
"Elon Musk, der Gründer und CEO von Tesla Motors, ist ebenfalls ein Visionär" (Elon Musk ... is also a visionary).

I have to say that around here comparing someone to Hitler is just something you don't do, so actually doing it makes Donald Trump seem diplomatic. And politeness is kind of a big deal around here.

If you search German media for news on Tesla it has as of recently become very critical of and biased against Tesla and Musk.

For example, the news of Tesla's lawsuit against the idiot who tried to spear-phish Musk by sending that stupid email was reported here under the head line:
"Tesla verklagt falschen Elon Musk"
i.e. "Tesla sues false Elon Musk", which is just misleading click-bait,
Elektroauto: Tesla verklagt falschen Elon Musk - Golem.de

So one has to adopt a very critical mindset when reading about Tesla and Musk in Germany.

Last edited:
I saw a stats couple of days ago showing there are only 3000 something Tesla in Germany.

Because of the long stretches of no-speed limit Autobahn, the Tesla is a difficult sale in Germany.

Normally you would drive your expensive ICE at 200 km/h (or more traffic permitting) and just refuel once or twice extra.

Trying to do that in a Model S, even with the 100 kWh battery will cut your effective speed in half or worse. So the excellent idea of cramming enough battery into the BEV to allow for a whole day of driving (so you only recharge at night) is still far from working in Germany, where you could easily go through a 200 kWh battery in one day of driving.

So that is part of the reason.

Because of the long stretches of no-speed limit Autobahn, the Tesla is a difficult sale in Germany.

Normally you would drive your expensive ICE at 200 km/h (or more traffic permitting) and just refuel once or twice extra.

Trying to do that in a Model S, even with the 100 kWh battery will cut your effective speed in half or worse. So the excellent idea of cramming enough battery into the BEV to allow for a whole day of driving (so you only recharge at night) is still far from working in Germany, where you could easily go through a 200 kWh battery in one day of driving.

So that is part of the reason.
yea, I can imagine. I bet when the 100D (non-performance) version comes out in a few months, that would be the longest range EV ever. It will help the situation slightly.

I really hope the German automakers are doing all it can to make more EVs.

I really hope the German automakers are doing all it can to make more EVs.

It is mostly talk so far, including calls from the industry for government support to switch to BEV production.

But it was not so well received, that the industry that caused serious damage to German industry's reputation by deceiving the whole world with their diesel engines would have the audacity to ask the government for money to deliver a different product.

Also of some relevance is the fact that while the lack of a general charging infrastructure is recognized as a major barrier to BEV-adoption here, the government's new plan to spend 270 G€ on traffic infrastructure until 2030 does not mention a BEV charging infrastructure.

But maybe I am too pessimistic. It does after all seem strange that Germany would just give up its (self-perceived) world leadership in car manufacturing.

It is mostly talk so far, including calls from the industry for government support to switch to BEV production.

But it was not so well received, that the industry that caused serious damage to German industry's reputation by deceiving the whole world with their diesel engines would have the audacity to ask the government for money to deliver a different product.

Also of some relevance is the fact that while the lack of a general charging infrastructure is recognized as a major barrier to BEV-adoption here, the government's new plan to spend 270 G€ on traffic infrastructure until 2030 does not mention a BEV charging infrastructure.

But maybe I am too pessimistic. It does after all seem strange that Germany would just give up its (self-perceived) world leadership in car manufacturing.
at least based on news that I see on electrek co, German carmakers are planning quite a lot of EV in the coming few years. Also, there are tons of CCS DC charging in Germany and many places in Europe. I saw a map of the stations before.