Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Active Spoiler... Or Not...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see in older posts, and other websites, that whether your spoiler raises and lowers depends upon which car you got. The general trend was that only the P versions of the car got a spoiler that moves up and down.

But Tesla's current page talks about the X generally, and states: "In addition, an active spoiler deploys from the rear liftgate to optimize highway efficiency and stability." It is not limited to the P100D or anything else.

Can anyone tell me what is showing up on the 100D, as mine has not arrived yet. Sniff.

@JHWJR Where are you seeing/reading that?
This is what I see on the build site...requires Performance model, which is P100D:

Spoiler.PNG

I never saw the two items above depicted as OPTIONS (spoiler and red calipers) because I've never considered the P. I've only seen what strikes me as a representation that the Model X comes with an active spoiler. See graphic attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 7.37.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 7.37.10 PM.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 662
I never saw the two items above depicted as OPTIONS (spoiler and red calipers) because I've never considered the P. I've only seen what strikes me as a representation that the Model X comes with an active spoiler. See graphic attached.

The option outlined in the screenshot you posted is indeed available - on the P model. The particulars of the active spoiler is not spelled out in the marketing material, similarly to "And it’s ludicrously fast, accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in as quick as 2.9 seconds" which is not available on non-P models:

upload_2017-4-2_19-58-12.png

Yes, that picture is the performance version P90D, now a P100D. Your 100D gets more mileage (295 miles vs.289 represented).
Like the picture below it of 7 seats, or the wheels shown above...other options when ordering.
Your order agreement details your specific build - may want to refer to those specs to be certain.

My order build says nothing about the spoiler either way.

And while it is true that the picture shows a 90D, should I suppose that nothing the website says applies to my car in the absence of a picture of my car next to it?

I think this takes an inordinate amount of inference and parsing to determine that the active spoiler identified doesn't come on an X 100D or anything OTHER THAN the P90D. Indeed, it comes with the P100D and THAT is not pictured there. The clarification -- in my view -- is only found on a product page for the P100D that I never read because I did not want that car, and it requires one to read about cars you aren't interested in to make the conclusion clear. This page is THE page about the Model X. It does not state that the feature only comes with "select models" or "performance models" or "only some models."

But I do understand now and thank folks for clarifying.

Reactions: NikeWings and ABC2D
My order build says nothing about the spoiler either way.

And while it is true that the picture shows a 90D, should I suppose that nothing the website says applies to my car in the absence of a picture of my car next to it?

I think this takes an inordinate amount of inference and parsing to determine that the active spoiler identified doesn't come on an X 100D or anything OTHER THAN the P90D. Indeed, it comes with the P100D and THAT is not pictured there. The clarification -- in my view -- is only found on a product page for the P100D that I never read because I did not want that car, and it requires one to read about cars you aren't interested in to make the conclusion clear. This page is THE page about the Model X. It does not state that the feature only comes with "select models" or "performance models" or "only some models."

But I do understand now and thank folks for clarifying.
You're spending over $100k on a car and complaining about doing necessary research?

To your point, there are MANY features of the car that are mentioned in the general advertisement that aren't on specific models. If you're truly interested in specific features, it is your responsibility to either figure out if it's on your version of the car -or- contact Tesla and ask them.

Also, the picture is of the 90D because early 90Ds had the active spoiler. Tesla made a change (which they do every month, btw) and now it's only on the performance models.

I think this takes an inordinate amount of inference and parsing to determine that the active spoiler identified doesn't come on an X 100D or anything OTHER THAN the P90D.

You expect a company to down sell its products by only showing base models? That's strange to me.

The clarification -- in my view -- is only found on a product page for the P100D that I never read because I did not want that car, and it requires one to read about cars you aren't interested in to make the conclusion clear.

I wasn't interested in the P either but I read the P's options because I wanted to see what the difference was, and it took less than a few minutes at most. It's not like you need to read War and Peace or something.

You're spending over $100k on a car and complaining about doing necessary research?

Voltaren:

I specifically wanted to know whether it would have an active spoiler, and believed that I had found the answer. The pages that apply to EVERY MODEL X say, without limitation: "In addition, an active spoiler deploys from the rear liftgate to optimize highway efficiency and stability." It is not limited to the P90D, the P100D or anything else but Model X. I understood this page say exactly what it says.

Then I read everything there was to read on the Model X 100D page and nothing there that can be understood to take that feature away.

I did the research.

What I didn't do is scour pages which I had adequate reason to believe were not related to the vehicle I was inclined to buy. Just as I wouldn't closely inspect pages about the Model S to see if they took away features that the pages regarding the Model X would lead a reasonable person to believe were on a Model X.

Same response to Canuck.

Reactions: Racerx22b and ABC2D
There is no active spoiler unless you have the performance version. There are some non performance X's with an active spoiler but those were limited to the first months of production. From all the research I've done, any X's built after April '16 which are not P's have fixed spoilers. Doesn't matter if they are a 75, 90 or 100.

I was originally a little bummed by this, but I don't mind the fixed spoiler at all. In fact its one less thing to worry about breaking and it looks good deployed even when its parked.

Reactions: JHWJR
I think what @voltaren is saying is that its not a real hard thing to discover if the spoiler will be active or not. The only time it shows as an option is when you select the P model. If you read a Mercedes website, you will run into the same thing, or even worse go to a dealer and work with a salesperson who doesn't really know what is on the car but tells you it has a feature it doesn't (happened to me before).

go to a dealer and work with a salesperson who doesn't really know what is on the car but tells you it has a feature it doesn't (happened to me before).

Yeah. It's just like that. But the company webpage should be clearer and more reliable than a stray salesman at a dealership.

In contract interpretation, if YOU wrote the contract and you give me something in one paragraph but say in another paragraph that I don't get it, I get it because the ambiguous language will be construed against you. I'll live with this fixed spoiler of course, but the page I'm referring to really should say someone like "not available on all models" or "optional" or "available only on performance models" or "available only on models where separately selected as an option." Instead, it feels like I should dig up the pages for the 60D to look for language taking away OTHER features I thought were standard, like a frunk and a big windshield.

Reactions: Cowby and Mike M