Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X aftermarket hitch receiver options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I know I'm rehashing this whole topic but I'm trying to figure out some details about doing an aftermarket hitch receiver on a Refresh Model X. The hitch receiver that Tesla provides is limited to 120 pounds of vertical weight (reference page 93 of the current manual), which doesn't work for me since I'm looking at putting on a platform bike rack to carry 4 mountain bikes which I'm estimating all-in would be somewhere around 200 pounds (overestimating just in case). I will not be able to put any bikes inside the vehicle. I'm a bit confused over the difference between the 500 pound limit of tongue weight limit with the 20" wheels vs the 120 pounds of vertical load shy of what I assume is the difference because of the torsional loads?

What people have come up with? I've been looking at the thread for the DrawTite receivers, but nothing mentioned about vertical loads vs tongue weights vs tow weight. I'm also concerned about warranty voiding.

Lastly, I'm also wondering if there's any electrically operated options where the hitch receiver can be folded away like on the BMW?

Reactions: medicine
I think part of it has to do with things like bike racks. Where your swinging a couple 100 pounds on the end of an arm (a lever). And it can twist and pull in many directions.

A trailer tongue weight is not a lever. It’s different. It’s mostly only down on the hitch.

That is what I'm figuring, but wondering if there's not a way to increase it at a reasonable cost. I guess consider using a small trailer might be an option as well.

Reactions: medicine
Hi @TrevTremaine ,

These people claim their trailer can carry up to 16 bikes...
Probably too many for you but perhaps better than modifying your X.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Hi @TrevTremaine ,

These people claim their trailer can carry up to 16 bikes...
Probably too many for you but perhaps better than modifying your X.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thank you! Now you've got me twitching over the possibility of towing bikes, maybe a canoe or windsurfer or ...

• Funny
Reactions: DavidB
Thank you! Now you've got me twitching over the possibility of towing bikes, maybe a canoe or windsurfer or ...
I have two trailers. One very light duty and one very heavy duty. Use both all the time. Much more versatile in that you can unhitch and leave your load. You can also load them way up. And the light duty trailer has very little impact on range. If your platform sticks out too much you might have an issue at some super chargers. Where with a trailer you can always unhitch it. I leave the receiver on all the time and just take the ball off and plug the receiver. Doesn't look bad at all.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
@TrevTremaine I'm facing the exact same issue and concerns as you had on your original post here. I need to haul 5 mountain bike on my Model X. Can you share what you ended up doing to carry your 4 bikes?
I ended up going with an aftermarket hitch installed by Rack Attack - removed the original and put in a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver. It's certainly more robust and durable. They had to cut out an opening into the original hitch cover for the end of the new hitch - so it's always protruding but not an issue as far as I'm concerned. There are a number of racks available but of course the first issue is resolving the receiver weakness.

I ended up going with an aftermarket hitch installed by Rack Attack - removed the original and put in a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver. It's certainly more robust and durable. They had to cut out an opening into the original hitch cover for the end of the new hitch - so it's always protruding but not an issue as far as I'm concerned. There are a number of racks available but of course the first issue is resolving the receiver weakness.
Thanks so much Trev! We have a Rack Attack near me so I'll definitely check them out. Did they readily know the vertical weight limit of the hitch/receiver? In my looking around, it seems most don't even list that in their specs. Is the hole they cut small enough or sealed so water, etc., doesn't get up inside there?

Thanks so much Trev! We have a Rack Attack near me so I'll definitely check them out. Did they readily know the vertical weight limit of the hitch/receiver? In my looking around, it seems most don't even list that in their specs. Is the hole they cut small enough or sealed so water, etc., doesn't get up inside there?
So, the vertical limit is essentially raised to the limit of the hitch itself (I believe it's about 750 pounds). Now, that said, that's the limit for the hitch itself. It's also a matter of what the limits are for the metal it's attached to (the frame of the Tesla) - so there's always some speculation as to the true limits. Note, however, that any failure will be a voiding of Tesla's warranty. This is part of assumed risks with any aftermarket parts (at least as far as I'm concerned). The weak point on the original hitch is that the hitch is 2 pieces and comes apart.

The hole that they cut was fairly close to the square of the hitch - fairly snug but not tight. There's really no water issues as it'll drain as need be. If you were using the regular hitch it would be exposed anyway.