Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Tire Repair Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had some bad luck and had a tire puncture on my front driver side tire. It was a slow leak, so took it to the service center and they offered to repair it if I sign a waiver or replace it. Having only had the car about a month, I went with replacement. I asked them to repair the old tire and I would keep it for future use. They had some issues with timing, getting a tire shipped in, etc. They forgot to save my tire and it got scrapped. Eventually had new tire on it and they gave me the Tesla Tire Repair Kit as a compensation for waiting and scrapping my other tire.

Yesterday got ANOTHER puncture, less than a week later, in the passenger side front tire. It was a pretty fast leak, so I whipped out the Tesla Repair Kit, hooked it up with the sealant and followed the instructions. Drove around for 5 minutes after the sealant was in to "distribute" it, per the directions. It didn't seal the leak so Tesla roadside happily picked it up and dropped it off at the service center.

Today I authorize a repair of the tire. A few minutes later get a call back saying since I used the tire sealant, it has ruined the tire and it cannot be repaired. Something about the foam soaking it all up, and it wasn't meant to be used on this tire. This is the same service center that GAVE me this Tesla Tire Repair Kit a week earlier. They want me to buy another new tire because the Tesla Kit they provided me ruined the Tesla OEM tire...

I told the very nice adviser that I didn't think it was on me that the Tesla Kit that Tesla provided me ruined the Tesla Tire that came with my car, and would like Tesla (or the repair kit manufacturer) to replace the tire. He is checking with his service manager and going to call me back. Am I out of bounds asking for this?

I have used the Fix-A-Flat type tire repair in the past, but had to go back to the dealer when it again started to leak. They were able to repair the small leak, but advised that I had damaged the Tire Pressure Sensor (TPS) which is located in the tire stem. The tire was fixed for cheap, but I paid $75 for the TPS replacement. Apparently the foam in the can of flat repair gums up the TPS and makes them inoperable.
Guess you just cant win sometimes.

This whole new approach to not having a spare tire is a situation Im having the hardest time getting used to, and having the Tesla Tire Repair kit doesnt seem to be the all around best answer as well. Im very paranoid now and just drive cautiously in the hopes of avoiding any issues.

So I had some bad luck and had a tire puncture on my front driver side tire. It was a slow leak, so took it to the service center and they offered to repair it if I sign a waiver or replace it. Having only had the car about a month, I went with replacement. I asked them to repair the old tire and I would keep it for future use. They had some issues with timing, getting a tire shipped in, etc. They forgot to save my tire and it got scrapped. Eventually had new tire on it and they gave me the Tesla Tire Repair Kit as a compensation for waiting and scrapping my other tire.

Yesterday got ANOTHER puncture, less than a week later, in the passenger side front tire. It was a pretty fast leak, so I whipped out the Tesla Repair Kit, hooked it up with the sealant and followed the instructions. Drove around for 5 minutes after the sealant was in to "distribute" it, per the directions. It didn't seal the leak so Tesla roadside happily picked it up and dropped it off at the service center.

Today I authorize a repair of the tire. A few minutes later get a call back saying since I used the tire sealant, it has ruined the tire and it cannot be repaired. Something about the foam soaking it all up, and it wasn't meant to be used on this tire. This is the same service center that GAVE me this Tesla Tire Repair Kit a week earlier. They want me to buy another new tire because the Tesla Kit they provided me ruined the Tesla OEM tire...

I told the very nice adviser that I didn't think it was on me that the Tesla Kit that Tesla provided me ruined the Tesla Tire that came with my car, and would like Tesla (or the repair kit manufacturer) to replace the tire. He is checking with his service manager and going to call me back. Am I out of bounds asking for this?

In my opinion you are not out of bounds. I have a slime kit that I carry with me since I had a similar puncture. As long as the puncture is at least an inch away from the wall here are the options for repair.
First option is to find a tire repair shop to fix the tire. The instructions are available, but the shops are not very familiar with them
Second option is to use a plug kit. It comes in the Slime kit. You need some light, space etc to use it. That is what I have done in my driveway
Third option is using the slime kit. You should know that there is a possibility that it may render the tire unrepairable. If I am stuck with a flat tire on the side of a busy highway at night, I would use slime kit.
Fourth option is to replace the tire. It is an expensive option, but I understand that would happen if you call the Tesla Service to pick up the car.

Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear that :( So is the tire repair kit not worth getting?

Resolution: The service manager called me and 'goodwilled' me a new tire and installation. He said everyone in the shop now knows that the repair kit is NOT for the tires with the sound deadening foam in them and accepted responsibility for providing me the kit which then effectively ruined my tire.

I would certainly not recommend the repair kit or using the slime on the tires containing the foam. YMMV!

Tesla comes through in the end!

Resolution: The service manager called me and 'goodwilled' me a new tire and installation. He said everyone in the shop now knows that the repair kit is NOT for the tires with the sound deadening foam in them and accepted responsibility for providing me the kit which then effectively ruined my tire.

I would certainly not recommend the repair kit or using the slime on the tires containing the foam. YMMV!

Tesla comes through in the end!
Glad to hear they did the right thing and that word is getting spread that the slime repair kit isn't an acceptable fix for most. I honestly don't know if I have the foam in my 22" Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico tires. Somehow I think not. I hight doubt I do in my winter set up (Nokian WRG3 SUV tires). I've been meaning to get one of those "plug" type kits too and then only use the air compressor bit of the Tesla provided kit to reinflate if needed.

Cheers!

Glad to hear they did the right thing and that word is getting spread that the slime repair kit isn't an acceptable fix for most. I honestly don't know if I have the foam in my 22" Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico tires. Somehow I think not. I hight doubt I do in my winter set up (Nokian WRG3 SUV tires). I've been meaning to get one of those "plug" type kits too and then only use the air compressor bit of the Tesla provided kit to reinflate if needed.

Cheers!
the assimetrico doesn't have the foams in them.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
I got a nail in my Model X. Fortunately I have a high pressure compressor in my garage. I filled it up and just drove to my local Discount Tire. Many don't know this but Discount Tire will fix and repair for FREE. Even if you didn't buy the tire there. They removed the nail and plugged the hole. They are the BEST. I've gone there several times to get nails in the tire repaired free.

I was reading the manual and it says some cars may come with the tire repair kit. Wonder which ones specifically? I'm assuming if it did it would located in the trunk? Also found this on the website regarding the TPMS.

"The tire repair kit contains a bottle of sealant and an air compressor to patch up small punctures. In the event of a puncture, simply attach the hose from the sealant bottle (included in the mechanism) to the tire valve and the compressor (powered by your vehicle's 12V outlet) will force both sealant and air into the tire, effectively repairing the hole and filling the tire. Keep proper tire pressure maintained with the Tire Repair Kit as well, although independent of the tire sealant.

Please be advised that the product works as a temporary fix. The tire repair kit is not recommended as a permanent repair solution. The damaged tire should be replaced along with a new TPMS sensor at the earliest convenience. (Replacement tire and TPMS sensor not cover under warranty).

Sealant refills can be purchased through a Tesla Service Center location.

This item can only be shipped to customers with a U.S. or Canada address.

For Tesla customers outside these regions, please contact your nearest Service Center to confirm pricing and availability."

I was reading the manual and it says some cars may come with the tire repair kit. Wonder which ones specifically? I'm assuming if it did it would located in the trunk? Also found this on the website regarding the TPMS.
It's my understanding that there are some US States that require a spare tire or a tire repair kit to be provided in every vehicle sold in that State.

Has anyone found a decent spare wheel and required tool to remove the wheel from the car?
I'm not sure if anyone with an X has opted for carrying around a spare wheel. I think most are happy with either a plug kit or a sealant kit, me included (I currently have both). Note: sealant is a temporary solution that will render the tire unrepairable.

However, I do recall early on Model-S owners using a BMW Spare Tire, which may work with the Model-X as well.