Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X arm control disconnects from wheel at low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya this is insane, you need to report it to nhtsa as stated earlier.
These failures can't keep happening.
I have had to replace all my control arms and links already, out of warranty, because of rattling.

Did you happen to notice any rattling noise going over bumps in the road before this?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and croman
Hi all,

attached is a pdf of Tesla's email with pictures.

Interesting, that does look like significant damage to the wheel, so I wonder if whenever that happened it stressed things almost to the breaking point but held on until it all fell apart for you. Surely whoever was driving knew when they hit something and damaged that wheel, how long after that did the failure happen? (It doesn't appear to have been a low speed/gentle rub.)

Something to keep in mind is that the suspension is actually designed to break in a controlled way in accidents to push the car away from the impact to try to prevent/reduce occupant injuries. Gone are the days were stuff is overbuilt and designed to never break as they found it caused other problems...

I am not saying your story is false, but you have far more damage on the air shock and wheel for a stationary control arm failure. My guess is it was either damaged prior or it was driven after damaged. In my case, the moment I heard the sound I left the car stationary in the middle of a parking lot exit.

Recently, (about a week) I have noticed that there is a sort of rattle from the front left wheel when I drive slowly in parking lots and there are bumps. Not sure if this is a precursor sign to the ball joint failing.

Jack up that corner and grab the wheel at 12 and 6.
Push and pull with opposite hands.
If you feel any play whatsoever you have a ball joint failing.
This should take only a few minutes to do.

Reactions: OPRCE and BlueMX75D
My friend's wife dented the doors on their brand new Lexus by accidentally brushing against a snow bank. She was afraid to tell her husband and said nothing. Eventually he noticed the damage and went back to the Lexus dealer. He raised hell and the dealer, being a Lexus dealer, agreed to repair the damage free of charge. To this day, my friend has no idea it was his wife who dented his day old Lexus.

As my uncle, god rest his soul, once told the cop who gave him a speeding ticket in court: "I am not saying you are lying, I am just saying you are not telling the truth." Talking about your wife, of course.

Hi all,

attached is a pdf of Tesla's email with pictures.
I hate to say it, but based on the pictures alone, I tend to agree with Tesla’s analysis of the damage. The kicker is the body damage behind the wheel. That’s not caused by slow steering in a parking lot.

It’s quite possible that the driver just doesn’t remember the THUMP when it happened. Thumps happen all the time.

This just happened to me (Front End Collapse). I have an early model X with just shy of 80K miles. This is beginning to look like a pattern. I noticed an issue with the front end about a year ago and asked Tesla to check it out. They didn't find anything. I am 100% positive I didn't hit anything since the last time I had the car serviced. Tesla is trying not to pay for it.

There are already 5 complaints in the NHTSA database the looks related (11144793,11197184,11079205,11076522, and 11075748). I doubt most of the people who have issues bother to file a complaint. I'm really questioning the safety of my model X.

These failures are basically limited to very low speed, so they are really not a safety concern. Reversing with the wheel cranked all the way over is what puts the most stress on the control arm and that's the most probable mode of failure. It happened many years ago to me when I was driving my SAAB. I learned all about that problem back then. Basic recommendation is not to turn the wheel 100% over when reversing -- back off just a bit and that eliminates the stress on the control arm.

These failures are basically limited to very low speed, so they are really not a safety concern. Reversing with the wheel cranked all the way over is what puts the most stress on the control arm and that's the most probable mode of failure. It happened many years ago to me when I was driving my SAAB. I learned all about that problem back then. Basic recommendation is not to turn the wheel 100% over when reversing -- back off just a bit and that eliminates the stress on the control arm.

This is a broken ball joint. Not a control arm failure. And a ball joint can break at any time and any speed.

I've been complaining about the front end/steering for more than a year. Tesla service has always told me everything was okay. Then my control arm snaps. This is not a confidence builder.

I've got both a Chevy and a Cadillac both with substantially more miles and more abuse than my Model-X. While they have both have had lots of work done, the most dangerous failure I've ever had was a blow out. And I knew that was coming. I was just debating on buying new tires, or selling the truck. So while ball joints can go at anytime, only Tesla seems to be having trouble with them. Again, this isn't making me feel like I should put my kids in the model-X or drive it on the highway.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a practical car that won't feel like torture driving after a Model-X? Even just the idea of having to buy gas all the time is making me sick.