Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X as a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background: I currently have a 2022 Model S as a daily driver and it's been mostly great for commuting to and from work (15 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic). Outside work, I've been noticing we've been using my wife's 7-seater Model Y more for hiking, grocery runs, and going out to eat. We're a family of 5.5 (3 adults, 2 toddlers who need booster seats, and a dog), so it makes sense to use her car since cramming everyone into the Model S would be tight for those in the back. Aside from getting everyone of back easier, the Model Y doesn't have vents in the back, so sometimes my kids complains that it's too hot to sit in the third row. So now I'm considering replacing my Model S with a Model X since it offers a more space and comfort than the Model Y and Model S. My wife doesn't want to replace her car since she likes the size and she's been quite attached to it.

I'm curious if there are those who have Model X as a daily driver and have some questions:
  • Does having a Model X seem too big as a daily driver?
  • Any issues driving along city streets and bottoming-out?
  • Any issues in parking garages?
  • Any other issues I should consider?
I greatly appreciate any feedback!
Hi, everyone here has kindly shared all the relevant points above.

We initially placed an order for Model Y Performance then Model X Plaid few weeks later (after test driving Model X, we fell in love in it) and to our surprise the X came first.

My wife loves the Falcon Wing Doors since it’s so much easier to enter/exit with our young toddler, especially when it rains.

I have never been a fan of SUV but Model X is exceptionally different in many ways. Comparatively with Model S, you will notice a big interior space difference and sitting on a higher driving position for Model X.

It does not feel very big on the road as daily driver. It does feel “bigger” in the parking garage though in terms of width when I compare it to the Model S.

We chose 6 seater version because of practicality for access to the 3rd row (as needed) and also for the sleeker look of the captain/mono spot seats.

I personally think you (and your family) will enjoy it.

Reactions: Kelryin
I have a model x 16 90D 87k miles and I commuted daily in my X about 50 miles round trip (OC to SD) prior to COVID for over a year. Riding high and autopilot made for a very easy commute with or without the traffic. I felt less road fatigue versus my former vehicles over the years (BMW X6, X3 and 2 series). So I’d definitely be an advocate for using it as a daily driver. I’ve driven it up and down California and recently from California to Texas when we moved.

Like one of the people above said, this has been the least reliable vehicle that I’ve owned. I’ve had to replace door handle/retrofit, a/c, battery heater, control arm, door sensors, etc over the years. Musk was right, it’s a fabrige egg. With that said if you have a second car, you’ll be fine. Just anticipate repairs down the road.

I know you said your wife is attached to her Y, once she gets used to the X opens the door for her, you will be using the Y for your daily driver LOL.
I offered to let her drive my Model S a many times. It wasn't the yoke or the size of the car that was off-putting for her: it was her fear of bottoming out my car. In her Model Y, she can effortlessly glide over bumps and curves without too much worry; she doesn't want to analyze every bump and curve to worry about bottoming out my car. So who knows, maybe she'll love the X and I'll be taking her Model Y as the daily driver.

Model 3 owner for almost 4 years. I hate big cars but the 3 is getting tight with our family of 4. We sat in a refresh S and it felt like such a sideways move in the interior space department that we ditched the upgrade to a Plaid S idea.

Had a '17 X 6 seater as a loaner for 2 weeks while the 3 was in service.

Conclusion: we all fell in love, HARD, for the X. We were all sad the day I had to return the X.

The extra interior room is game changing.

It doesn't "feel" big at all on the roads. I felt right at home even though I skew more to smaller/nimbler cars. The only time it's size really shows is when I pull it into my garage. I have to use the backup camera to get it micro inches away from the garage door so I can have a decent walk way at the front between the X and my work bench.

The height adjustable suspension on the fly gave me piece of mind going over the 5 speed bumps daily at summer camp.

Biggest con is the FWD make it a bit of a PITA when we're all trying to get in/out of the car in the garage at the same time. Either have to wait your turn front to back or have the kids go thru on the opposite side. Also con is the hatch can't open fully when in the garage so it makes loading/unloading a bit of a crouch fest.
I'm the same way: I prefer small cars as a daily driver but having driving the Model S for a while, I'm used to having a larger vehicle as a daily driver. Oddly, when I had my Model 3, it seemed like we can fit everyone in the third row (booster seats next to each other) more comfortably than the Model S. I might have to do some more shifting of the boosters to see if I can get them side by side.

Even now, we usually have to load/unload passengers on the driveway before going into the garage so it won't be too big of a deal.

Reactions: BonB
I offered to let her drive my Model S a many times. It wasn't the yoke or the size of the car that was off-putting for her: it was her fear of bottoming out my car. In her Model Y, she can effortlessly glide over bumps and curves without too much worry; she doesn't want to analyze every bump and curve to worry about bottoming out my car. So who knows, maybe she'll love the X and I'll be taking her Model Y as the daily driver.
Oh she would love the X's air suspension! We have to take the MX out when the 2 of us going out with me driving because she would not sit in my Model 3. It's too bumpy she said.

Reactions: Kelryin and BonB
I have a model S, and my wife has a model x - 7 seater. Switching between them is VERY easy (especially as the controls are the same.)
I really don't mind which I drive at the weekend.

Recently completed a trip from LA to WA with my wife and I, our 6'4" 18 year old, and two 10 year old kids; no issue.

Yes, the X is slightly bigger, but it is just as easy to park as the S, so what else do you need?

Reactions: Kelryin and BonB
Thanks to all your inputs, I decided to place an order for the Model X LR. I placed the order last week and it's showing April - July 2023 as an EDD. I also submitted my Model S as a trade-in just to see how much it was worth and they offered a few thousands more than what it's currently worth.

Reading the Plaid delivery threads and playing around in the design studio, looks like Plaids have been delivered within 3 - 6 months or so. Building the LR vs Plaid to the specs I wanted, the difference is about $13,000 more. For me, it's not a big deal and the extra cost isn't issue. I don't need the Model X right away and I don't think I'll be using the extra speed that often.

I guess here's my dilemma: Would it be worth to switch my order to a Model X Plaid? An extra $13,000 for a Model X that will arrive sooner or wait almost a year while my current trade-in further depreciates? Are there any other factors that I should consider?

Reactions: Xeux and dmurphy
Thanks to all your inputs, I decided to place an order for the Model X LR. I placed the order last week and it's showing April - July 2023 as an EDD. I also submitted my Model S as a trade-in just to see how much it was worth and they offered a few thousands more than what it's currently worth.

Reading the Plaid delivery threads and playing around in the design studio, looks like Plaids have been delivered within 3 - 6 months or so. Building the LR vs Plaid to the specs I wanted, the difference is about $13,000 more. For me, it's not a big deal and the extra cost isn't issue. I don't need the Model X right away and I don't think I'll be using the extra speed that often.

I guess here's my dilemma: Would it be worth to switch my order to a Model X Plaid? An extra $13,000 for a Model X that will arrive sooner or wait almost a year while my current trade-in further depreciates? Are there any other factors that I should consider?

Trade in depreciation over the next year is a compelling event. It won’t make the $13k a wash but it does close the gap a bit.

And then there’s missed opportunity cost - you’d have almost an entire extra year with a Model X. That’s priceless!

Reactions: Xeux
Model X owner here. It's our daily driver (and for the summer, it's our only car while our 19-year-old is working). Former Model S owner.

We bought the Model X for towing and cargo capacity. We use it to tow a Bowlus or carry kayaks (and sometimes both). The capacity and comfort are superb. It's a great car.

However, we plan to buy a Model 3 next year when we give our son our old Toyota Camry Hybrid. We don't have his/hers cars - we each use the car that's best for that specific trip. So I expect the Model 3 will be the 'daily driver' and the Model X will be the tow/gear vehicle. Why? Because neither of us loves to drive such a large car everyday. I know this isn't a popular opinion since many Americans buy large pickups and SUVs. But driving and especially parking the Model X in the city (and increasingly, the suburbs) is unnecessarily stressful. FSD helps to some degree, but parking is still a problem.

I know the Model 3/Y aren't as plush as the S/X, but I welcome the smaller, nimbler Model 3 for a quick trip to the store or an evening in the city. But I'll still love the X for road trips or anytime I have to haul gear.

• Helpful
Reactions: dmurphy and Kelryin
I know the Model 3/Y aren't as plush as the S/X, but I welcome the smaller, nimbler Model 3 for a quick trip to the store or an evening in the city. But I'll still love the X for road trips or anytime I have to haul gear.

Different vehicles with different profiles. Both awesome in their own right.

We have both a 3 and an X, and do call them “his and hers” …. But in reality, we do what you do — take whichever vehicle fits the profile. They make an excellent pairing - 3 is great for driving around town, and X is for hauling stuff. Having both is amazing!

Reactions: gglockner
The X is a bit larger outside than the S. The ease of entry and higher seating view sold me on the X vs S. Specs are attached
1658229791462.png

• Informative
Reactions: BonB and Kelryin

Plaid has a little less range and slightly harsher ride due to large default wheels. Also, only available with 6 seats.

I consider getting a plaid, but figured I did not care/need the extra acceleration, and wanted only 5 seats. And so far I feel I made the correct decision. Even with the LR, I can beat pretty much every car off stop lights or down a freeway on-ramp, and that is about the limit of my need for speed. Plus I can put a 6 foot bookcase in the back.

Last edited:
You might know the Model X has three different seat configurations (5, 6, and 7). Think carefully about which one will be the most useful for you throughout the lifetime of the car (booster seats, kids growing out of them, that kind of thing).
Really don't understand why Tesla cannot make 2nd row captain seats foldable with arm rests, even just one side.

That makes me to order the 7 seater, which I am not satisfied with 3rd row legroom.

The foldable vs pillar mounted second row seats is an aesthetic thing. They started out as pillar mounted in “16 and then went to foldable and have gone back and forth numerous times. To bad you are not given the option of which seats you want when you order. I guess this lack of options can be another casualty of their standardization push?

Really don't understand why Tesla cannot make 2nd row captain seats foldable with arm rests, even just one side.

That makes me to order the 7 seater, which I am not satisfied with 3rd row legroom.
This subtopic has been beat to death in the Model X waiting room, but in short:

1. Many other vehicles have folding captain chairs
2. Without that, the maximum cargo capacity of the 6-seat configuration is much lower than the 5-seat or 7-seat configurations

This subtopic has been beat to death in the Model X waiting room, but in short:

1. Many other vehicles have folding captain chairs
2. Without that, the maximum cargo capacity of the 6-seat configuration is much lower than the 5-seat or 7-seat configurations
That's my point, when many many other vehicles have folding captain chairs with armrests, why Tesla cannot? On a $121k+ vehicle.

Driving a MX daily for 2 months and I am an excited kid with a new toy every time I get into the drivers’ seat. Works great for 1, 2 or 4 people. 6 is tight for long stretches but doable.

I miss armrests and keep confusing the horn/wiper buttons, but it’s still an amazing car.

Background: I currently have a 2022 Model S as a daily driver and it's been mostly great for commuting to and from work (15 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic). Outside work, I've been noticing we've been using my wife's 7-seater Model Y more for hiking, grocery runs, and going out to eat. We're a family of 5.5 (3 adults, 2 toddlers who need booster seats, and a dog), so it makes sense to use her car since cramming everyone into the Model S would be tight for those in the back. Aside from getting everyone of back easier, the Model Y doesn't have vents in the back, so sometimes my kids complains that it's too hot to sit in the third row. So now I'm considering replacing my Model S with a Model X since it offers a more space and comfort than the Model Y and Model S. My wife doesn't want to replace her car since she likes the size and she's been quite attached to it.

I'm curious if there are those who have Model X as a daily driver and have some questions:
  • Does having a Model X seem too big as a daily driver?
  • Any issues driving along city streets and bottoming-out?
  • Any issues in parking garages?
  • Any other issues I should consider?
I greatly appreciate any feedback!

I've been using my 2021 (5-seater Classic/Legacy/Chromed) Model X Long-Range Plus as my only car since March 2021.
  • Not too big as a daily driver. Do have to watch out for curbs; use the proximity alert system when carefully parking.
  • Not so far. Haven't noticed any bottoming out, but my car usually carries just one person.
  • No, but I would be very nervous in public parking garages in San Francisco. One near a UCSF medical facility in the City had ridiculously-small spaces, which I'm told are standard in space-conscious SF. (I only, nervously, parked a 2017 Honda [Accord-sized] Clarity there in 2020. No way would I try the Model X there.)
  • Lots of good suggestions from others.
    • From 20216 to 2021 I mostly considered Model S and Model X. I did test-drive Model Y (good car). At 6'5" with a bad back, I decided to go for the ease of egress and I am so glad I did. The Model X feels really comfortable inside.
    • Not having others in the household, I went with the 5-seater and keep the rear seats folded down, so it becomes somewhat like a covered pickup. Do you want a 6- or 7-seater? Don't know. The toddlers will soon be in school--sports, activities, etc. How often will all 5 humans be in the car together? But maybe hauling other kids, too. So maybe a lot? Three rows of seats shrinks the storage space, even with fold-down seats.
    • The ride is good. Recently drove curvy back roads from Napa to Davis, California (through the hills around Lake Berryessa). Model X is taller than Model S (but lower than my friend's 2022 RAV4 Hybrid), but because of the low center-of-gravity (due to heavy battery-pack, I assume) it drove well and hugged the road. I was pleasantly surprised.
    • I am not a fan of the FWDs (should have been suicide doors, imo), but the kids will love them and they will improve entry/exit to 2nd/3rd rows (if ceiling is not too low).
    • All the extra features and options (of the two top-level cars) are nice. If you can afford (increasingly expensive) Model X, I would recommend it.
    • I purchased the optional Enhanced Anti-Theft System. Super sensitive. Maybe good if parking in areas subject to car break-ins?
    • I don't have rear video screen (for kids), but refreshed Model X will. Also yoke steering wheel. But maybe you will consider used Classic (2015-21) Model X?
    • Mine came with 22" wheels, but I sold them and mounted stock 20" wheels.
    • I installed powered front trunk device (I recommend EV Offer product) which makes closing the frunk easier.
    • If you anticipate ever needing a receiver hitch (for bicycle or ski carriers, small trailer, etc.), I think that new Model Xs still come standard with a 2" receiver and adapter. If you buy a used Model X, definitely look for one with the hitch bar (inside the rear bumper--there is a little door/hatch/cover), so that you can attach a hitch adapter (~$250 used on Craig's List) later. (In some years the trailer hitch was an option and the cars did not always come with the necessary frame support bar. With a family I believe there will come a time when you'll want the option to use a trailer hitch--e.g., for bicycles, small vacation trailers, etc.)
Good luck.

From South Park, Streaming Wars Part I

Last edited: