Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X August Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just heard from my DS that my X has completed production and is slated to be delivered to Maryland later this month! VIN 133xx. I live in PA - anyone know if I need to do anything special with sales tax etc since I'm picking up in a different state than residence?

Also anyone know what percent tint back windows are? I'm planning on tinting the front side windows. Or any suggestions on which tint?

check with your local state. The front windows are regulated by law in each state. In GA it is 35% (passing 35% of light), in Virginia it is 50%. The tint installers generally know. Most will not exceed the state's laws. The rear "appear" to be ~25-35%.

check with your local state. The front windows are regulated by law in each state. In GA it is 35% (passing 35% of light), in Virginia it is 50%. The tint installers generally know. Most will not exceed the state's laws. The rear "appear" to be ~25-35%.

Ok. Thanks. Usually factory tint is around 25% but I hadn't seen anyone say specifically in these boards. I have generally tinted our other vehicles regardless of state law and haven't had any issues. Just want them to match the rest of the car.

Ok, so is this normal? DS emailed me Monday morning, said car went into production. Called today to day tell car was done and getting on the transport for delivery next week. 2days? They're really pumping them out.
I think they are doing the under promise over deliver tactic related to production and delivery.

I just happened to check in with my SC and was told it was in the beginning stages of prod and two or three days later told it was ready for transport. My MVPA also has a sooner delivery date than he told me.

Ok. Thanks. Usually factory tint is around 25% but I hadn't seen anyone say specifically in these boards. I have generally tinted our other vehicles regardless of state law and haven't had any issues. Just want them to match the rest of the car.

That is fine. I have been stopped twice due to the front tint on my X's windows. Police now have a new "revenue" source... they now carry meters to check tint to ensure it meets state requirements. Generally, they do so at the time of other violations/stops. Here, if the tint exceeds the state requirement, you must immediately remove the tint... otherwise the vehicle is considered not fit to be driven and towed.

I don't live in VA, but after being stopped there in my X, I know there law is 50%. However, as long as it is legal in the state where the vehicle is registered, no problem.

I think they are doing the under promise over deliver tactic related to production and delivery.

I just happened to check in with my SC and was told it was in the beginning stages of prod and two or three days later told it was ready for transport. My MVPA also has a sooner delivery date than he told me.
I haven't experienced any of this with Tesla. It's been over 8 months since my confermed order and I still don't have my MX. My DS hardly tells me anything. Last I heard it completed production and inspection. That was last week. I wrote my DS and told him to tell me when it would be shipped out and it's progress. Zip zero nothing. Last I heard mid August for deliver but never got an official delivery date. The My Tesla tracking page is a joke. The manager at the Tesla store said they don't update it and go into detail with it any longer.

I experienced the same "under promise, over deliver" My Model X order was confirmed on 6/26/16 and I was told it would go into production in early August. The car is actually scheduled to arrive at my service center tomorrow (8/4) and I'm scheduled to pick it up next Tuesday, August 9th (due to schedules and and time needed to inspect/prep the car). I purchased the pedal set which the service center will install as well. Can't wait!

Took delivery today...overall, it's still a bit surreal that I am driving a Tesla Model X. I can't describe the feelings exactly, because for me this is a culmination of a lot of hard work, but the vehicle is amazing. This is my first Tesla, though I've driven a couple of Model S's before when on a couple of vacations. I still have a lot to learn about it and all the features and cool tech...but I plan to learn very quickly and get familiar with Ghost (after Jon Snow's direwolf :cool:) over the next couple of days.

My overall delivery experience was great. My DS handed me over to another guy at our SC who walked me through the entire vehicle very patiently and was able to answer all my questions. Overall build quality looks much better than what I had expected, based on what I've been reading here over the last few months, but I did have one significant alignment issue. The driver's side rear bumper panel was protruding out probably a quarter-inch to where it's definitely noticeable and, compared to the passenger side, makes it obvious they need to fix it. The SC was really good about it, noting it on the "Due to You" form and also having their Service Manager look at it to confirm it needed to be adjusted. He said it would take some time, as they would probably have to pull off the entire rear bumper and put it back on correctly...so this will be done soon but with a service appointment. Nothing that impacts how the vehicle drives or even the rear sensors.

From the relatively brief driving I have done today, I have no real complaints or issues. The X drives like a dream...very smooth in acceleration and air suspension makes a huge difference, along with the 20" wheels, on bumpy roads. From first impression, no rattling noises or significant road noise. The car is incredibly quiet, so naturally the only sound you will hear a bit of is the road/ICE cars driving, but there is no engine (i.e. white noise) to drain out the minimal road noise you may notice. The huge windshield is amazing...it gives an entirely new perspective of driving a car, nothing like I have ever experienced or felt before. If I was 8 years old again, I would swear it makes me feel like I'm in a space ship. :) About, the ghosting issue...it's there, predominantly with tail lights and oncoming headlights of vehicles farther away, but definitely not as bad as what I've seen pictures of or heard described here. Don't really see it on traffic lights. Quite honestly, I've had a Prius for almost 10 years that I think has this same level of "ghosting" and maybe I'm used to it to a degree...but what I saw tonight while driving didn't really phase me much. I'm also having second thoughts about tinting the vehicle further. I think the factory tint was pretty nice, especially on the rear windows and trunk. 80% of the time, this car it will be parked in a garage, either at home or at work. While the car will naturally get warm on hot days...I assume if it's parked in a garage, the tint doesn't really add that much more value? If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this, I'd love to hear it. I do still plan to get the vehicle fully wrapped, including seatbacks and the exterior windshield, wheels, etc...dropping it off on Sunday for that.

Here are a couple of pics of Ghost from delivery today :D

IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like they did a batch of 6 seat 90Ds before 7 seats around my order window.

My car is out of production but still needs to go through the inspection process. Really hoping that happens quickly and I can get my X before next weekend!!