Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Auto Opening and Closing Door Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The update had precisely the opposite effect for my MX. Also twice now I have had a hard time removing the wall charger from the car. I have to manually unlock the car first...

i thought the charger can't be removed when the car is locked? I tried on the X and it wouldn't release. I assumed it was supposed to be that way so people can't unplug you while at superchargers.

Anyone having issues with the Model X drivers door auto opening and closing? About 20% of the time the door does not open and the car does not even blink when I approach. Even worse about once a day the door does not close when I walk away. I have reset the car both ways with no effect.

In addition about 10% of the time when you use the touchscreen to open the passenger door, it moves about an inch and makes a horrible clicking noise. Taking it in to the SC next week. Curious if I am the only one with this issue. I'm sure when I take it in they will work fine :( I have recorded videos to prove it just in case.

After a couple days back at the SC and 2 software updates, all issues have been resolved.

It appears that after the last software update my car no longer recognizes the fob first thing in the morning. The driver door won't auto present and the charger won't disengage. It's bizarre. After manually unlocking the car the car will work normally for a while and then it will stop recognizing the fob. I have replaced the battery in the fob and performed a software reset without success. Tesla have been very responsive but no solution yet. I'm taking it in today for the car to be looked at.

- - - Updated - - -

i thought the charger can't be removed when the car is locked? I tried on the X and it wouldn't release. I assumed it was supposed to be that way so people can't unplug you while at superchargers.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. The car no longer seems to recognize the fob after it has been parked for a while. It is like it has shut down completely...

...The car no longer seems to recognize the fob after it has been parked for a while. It is like it has shut down completely...
That happened to me when Model X was at the detailer. I had to use the iPhone app to unlock the vehicle so they could finish. I used the app again to start the Model X and drive home.

The "fix" occurred that night during a routine software update. The problem never appeared again.

I just picked up my P90DL Model X on Tuesday. I already have this drivers side door problem (1 of 6 issues I'm having). Bringing the car back to Tesla Palo Alto so they can get these issues fixed. Could not figure out how to trouble shoot it myself. I have a feeling it's a hardware issue.

Attachments

• 20160317_171242.jpg
    20160317_171242.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 273
Ok. I think I figured it out - sort of. One of my keys works with the auto front door and the other does not. Unfortunately, I had the one that didn't work in my pocket all the time and the other one was sitting inside of my desk drawer.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is one key considered a "primary" key with all functionality and is the other "secondary" key limited?

Does the 'secondary' key work for any other functions? Does it do so at the same range as the 'primary'? I think it's much more likely that you have a bad battery. Many of the batteries have been depleted from too close proximity to the car with old firmware in the car that kept pinging the key.

Does the 'secondary' key work for any other functions? Does it do so at the same range as the 'primary'? I think it's much more likely that you have a bad battery. Many of the batteries have been depleted from too close proximity to the car with old firmware in the car that kept pinging the key.

Has the new firmware (2.14.66) fixed this? One of my keys doesn't do it and the other responds maybe 50% of the time.

Maybe new batteries will fix it. Will go get them tomorrow.

My driver door won't open from the outside anymore. Closing and latching it is difficult, requires a lot of force to push & latch the door so I can lock the car. Tried the scroll wheel reset, the open/shut the door slowly thing, neither worked.
The issue started when the driver door was open, someone stepped into the doorway to admire the car, the door tried to auto-close and hit the person. I think that threw off some calibration.

A total failure of my passenger door occurred today.

It started at 5:30 in the morning when the horn started honking, as if someone had broken into the car. However, no notices were on the iPhone or dash.

It was later that evening when I wanted to drive the vehicle that I realized how serious the problem had become.

The passenger door was ajar and could not be opened (except manually from inside) and none of the electric open/close or latch pull-in automation would work.

No amount of screen resets or complete power downs would fix it. The manual slow push open and close was tried. The key in the door latch was attempted (and the touchscreen responded, so that switch was working).

To make matters worse, the Model X cannot be locked. The one passenger door being ajar completely prevents the entire car from locking. I even tried the iPhone Tesla app and it continues to show the unlock icon.

I was lucky this time. The car is in the garage at home and the old reliable Model S was fully charged and ready to be driven again.

Poor Model X will be returning to the Service Center.

I plan to order a Model 3 to upgrade to an electric vehicle with hopefully more manual operating devices and far less electrical feature failures.

A total failure of my passenger door occurred today.
I plan to order a Model 3 to upgrade to an electric vehicle with hopefully more manual operating devices and far less electrical feature failures.
Sorry to hear that...it was quite sometime since you reported trouble...the agony continues..hopefully will be fixed as always but the suffering , waste of time , and repeatedly occurring is a real pain in the neck.

Sorry to hear that...it was quite sometime since you reported trouble...the agony continues..hopefully will be fixed as always but the suffering , waste of time , and repeatedly occurring is a real pain in the neck.
It will be fixed, Tesla Motors is great about that.

The concern is the lack of redundancy. When a front door cannot be properly closed because of a possible electrical failure, that is a problem.

There are no fuse charts in my early VIN vehicle. It is quite possible that it could be a fuse. That causes concern as well. If it was a fuse, then a simple fuse going out does two things, horn honk and unlock. What happens if the Model X was parked in a downtown city when it decides to honk and unlock?

Dual redundancy is needed. Just as the Model S and X can be driven while the screens are reset, the doors should always have the electric latching capability activated. With some dual redundancy, at the minimum a screen message could show exactly what is wrong. Better yet, provide a secondary path of power while the first path is repaired.

The best solution for Model 3 is to return to standard latching front doors and recessed hidden grab handles that need no chrome buttons or pop-out door pulls.

I did find the fuse list, it's in the manual on the touchscreen. The diagrams for location and fuse layout are not the same as the Model X, but the physical fuse box has a diagram that does match the fuse list on the touchscreen.

Another thread mentioned removing and inserting the fuse for the door. That did power off the passenger window and red side light, but it didn't solve the problem. At least I know how to access the fuses in the 100's location if necessary and locate the fuse list on the touchscreen. I also will mention that my earlier post (that cannot be edited after a short time) is incorrect about the fuse issue. The fuse for the door did NOT fail. Something else is wrong and there are NO messages on the touchscreen to indicate what the problem really is.

Who would think that a simple latch pull-in motor would be such an important part of allowing the use of a car. Without it, the car cannot be locked and the door is left in an unsafe condition during a drive. The dash displays an "Open Door" message and triple beeps occur the entire time during a drive to the Service Center. I hope that Tesla Motors is ready to travel to possible stranded locations to solve this problem anywhere we drive throughout the world.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Model X can be locked when a door is ajar, here's how:

The frustration of not being able to lock Model X after the door latch failed was frustrating. However, when driving to the service center, I noticed the lock icon on the upper left corner of the touch screen and pressed it. The lock icon stayed locked.

That is the secret to locking the Model X if the key fob cannot lock the vehicle due to a non-working door latch.

The driver door will close on you if you press it from outside the car, so hold the door if necessary. Don't forget to keep the key fob with you when doing this or you will lock the key fob inside the car.

Once the locked icon is activated and the driver door closes, the Model X will be locked. The spoiler stays in the up position.

It is surprising that Tesla 24/7 support did not suggest this. The Service Center couldn't guess how to lock the non-responsive car. Kudos to the software engineers who designed in this hidden feature that was discovered when a customer couldn't lock Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
@Mark Z Hi mark, did your X go in to SC or not yet? If you did, how long is your X staying at the SC? My X is currently at the body shop to fix the paint, scratch and protruding dent issue caused by the malfunction driver door. The latch is currently on back order, I assume there are so many people having the latches replaced so they ran out. Should be getting the car back next week or the week after that. Very excited to go back and drive the car.