Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Buy Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are claiming the $7500 it seems like you are coming out as you usually would with a non-EV. Are you unable to claim it? If so I would bring that to their attention.
I personally don't think Tesla has any legitimate claim to the $7,500 tax credit unless they're offering you a goodwill buyback because you're unable to pursue a lemon law claim. It's not a manufacturer's rebate lowering the price of the car, it's a credit of your tax burden back to you for purchasing an emerging technology with environmental benefits.

Technically, I'm at the point where I could file a lemon law claim for the falcon wing doors detecting phantom obstacles, but I like the car and it really only inconveniences my rear passengers, so I put up with it. My front half-shafts also rattle.

What I don't understand, is how after all this time, Tesla engineering still doesn't understand the FWD sensor problems. My SC acts like they don't even know what I'm talking about and I can recreate the problem in about 5-10 minutes in the sun.

Tesla makes a profit on each car they sell. If they want to keep that profit, then they need to make the car function properly. Why should your tax dollars subsidize their failure and what do they plan to do once the credit expires?

I personally don't think Tesla has any legitimate claim to the $7,500 tax credit unless they're offering you a goodwill buyback because you're unable to pursue a lemon law claim. It's not a manufacturer's rebate lowering the price of the car, it's a credit of your tax burden back to you for purchasing an emerging technology with environmental benefits.

Technically, I'm at the point where I could file a lemon law claim for the falcon wing doors detecting phantom obstacles, but I like the car and it really only inconveniences my rear passengers, so I put up with it. My front half-shafts also rattle.

What I don't understand, is how after all this time, Tesla engineering still doesn't understand the FWD sensor problems. My SC acts like they don't even know what I'm talking about and I can recreate the problem in about 5-10 minutes in the sun.

Tesla makes a profit on each car they sell. If they want to keep that profit, then they need to make the car function properly. Why should your tax dollars subsidize their failure and what do they plan to do once the credit expires?
So you have that dreaded issue where the FWDs are detecting false obstacles under the sun. After six repairs they still can’t fix it. They even had a field engineer to check out the car and read the logs. One odd issue I started having is that while sometimes the FWD didn’t detect close obstacles under the heat, it actually stopped detecting anything completely. I could be standing next to the door, waving, touching the FWD and nothing was showing up on the screen.

The service manager felt my pain and requested a re-purchase. He said while others have similar experience but not as consistent as mine. Maybe I use the doors at the hours and places where most people don’t.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So you have that dreaded issue where the FWDs are detecting false obstacles under the sun. After six repairs they still can’t fix it. They even had a field engineer to check out the car and read the logs. One odd issue I started having is that while sometimes the FWD didn’t detect close obstacles under the heat, it actually stopped detecting anything completely. I could be standing next to the door, waving, touching the FWD and nothing was showing up on the screen.

The service manager felt my pain and requested a re-purchase. He said while others have similar experience but not as consistent as mine. Maybe I use the doors at the hours and places where most people don’t.
Yeah, after a no trouble found and an adjustment, they replaced the door sensor and it came back once days started getting sunny and warm enough. I'll make a bigger deal about it in the spring, maybe get the doors replaced.

I assume I could push for a buyback, but I'd rather just get the car fixed.

@Krazaak -- If you are testing the FWD just after leaving you Garage or Car Port, the overhead sensor recalls the GPS proximity and the prior obstruction; therefore, the doors will not open fully. Nor will the X-Mas Eater Egg function. Drive the car at least 1/4 mile from the location after leaving an enclosure and test the FWD again. If there are no over-head obstructions (currently or recently) the door should function correctly. I had a similar issue, after they replaced the FWD sensors. The following day I called back with the same problem (doors don't open completely). When I mentioned I was testing in the my driveway, the Service Writer said "Ah-Ha"- now I understand the issue. He informed me the overhead proximity sensor logged the GPS position for the safety of the doors, and the proximity prevention of the "over-head" obstruction is logged and inhibit the FWD software would carry that forward until a safe distance had occurred.
Give it a try!!

@Krazaak -- If you are testing the FWD just after leaving you Garage or Car Port, the overhead sensor recalls the GPS proximity and the prior obstruction; therefore, the doors will not open fully. Nor will the X-Mas Eater Egg function. Drive the car at least 1/4 mile from the location after leaving an enclosure and test the FWD again. If there are no over-head obstructions (currently or recently) the door should function correctly. I had a similar issue, after they replaced the FWD sensors. The following day I called back with the same problem (doors don't open completely). When I mentioned I was testing in the my driveway, the Service Writer said "Ah-Ha"- now I understand the issue. He informed me the overhead proximity sensor logged the GPS position for the safety of the doors, and the proximity prevention of the "over-head" obstruction is logged and inhibit the FWD software would carry that forward until a safe distance had occurred.
Give it a try!!
This sounds really suspicious. I never had this problem even when just exiting my (low!) garage and trying to open the doors outside right away so it must be a lot more complicated that this.

Yeah, after a no trouble found and an adjustment, they replaced the door sensor and it came back once days started getting sunny and warm enough. I'll make a bigger deal about it in the spring, maybe get the doors replaced.

I assume I could push for a buyback, but I'd rather just get the car fixed.
They’ve replaced my door.
Give it a try!!
That’s an unrelated issue. We could be parking at a large, open parking lot with no adjacent cars before and after car is parked. Once the door faces the sun for 5-10min, it starts faulting.

When it faults - does it open at all? If so, how far?
It depends on the intensity of the heat. At the worst (it gets to this point consistently eventually), the door will not open via FOB or screen, and you can hear the beep beep error tone. You must physically press on the door handle. At that point the door will pop open few inches only. You will have to press on the b pillar button to override it from there on.

Because the front doors rely on the FWD sensors for opening, the front doors only open few inches as well when the fault occurs. You will have to force it to open which isn’t a very pleasant feeling.

In less severe case, the door opens via fob and screen, about half way or so.

Note my driver door had this issue first. The passenger side only started recently, about a year afterwards.

Give it a try!!
I appreciate the attempt to help, unfortunately it's a different issue. Depending on the temperature and the angle, the sunny side FWD will randomly display a non existent obstruction, sometimes fluctuating distance other times impossibly close. For this photo, there was nothing at all within 20ft of that side of the car. It's a minor annoyance for the driver door, since it can be manually opened with some resistance. For the FWD, it's impossible to open from the outside and requires an override from the inside.

IMG_1937.JPG

On my replacement I am planning to go with white. Maybe it will help. Currently have midnight silver.
I've wondered if it's related to color, sheet metal thickness or some other variable. In the end though, I really wonder what's being done at an engineering level to deal with this problem and with the half-shafts.

My car was a slightly older inventory model, 11/16 build, but that's still after the bulk of initial issues were supposedly fixed. When I make my followup appointment, I'm just going to insist they escalate the issue to engineering. My FWDs have some horrible glass alignment on the roof, so I won't be too upset if they replace the whole door.

I've wondered if it's related to color, sheet metal thickness or some other variable. In the end though, I really wonder what's being done at an engineering level to deal with this problem and with the half-shafts.

My car was a slightly older inventory model, 11/16 build, but that's still after the bulk of initial issues were supposedly fixed. When I make my followup appointment, I'm just going to insist they escalate the issue to engineering. My FWDs have some horrible glass alignment on the roof, so I won't be too upset if they replace the whole door.
I have no clue. They did tell me how paint and metal thickness could be the cause, which is why they finally replaced the door. After the replacement my door started having a new issue where the door would stop half way abruptly claiming obstacle detected. I told them and engineering said it was a one off. Well it’s happened a few times and I started timestamping them. So now engineering was saying how they want to try replacing the shock or whatever. Service manager understood my concern that this is getting a bit frustrating for both parties especially my passenger falcon door started experiencing the heat issue, hence the buyback offer.

@Krazaak Your point on sheet metal thickness is a good thought. On a video with the "authorized" body shop here, the tech mentioned the metal and even the paint thickness is important on the FWD sensors. The sensors that control the front doors are in behind the black trim at the bottom of the FWD. However, side proximity sensor is behind the metal in the center of the door. So it may add up that excess thickness on the paint or the sheet metal may be the issue exasperated by the heat. Is the SC willing to change the FWD, or are you past that point. Good luck at any rate?

On my replacement I am planning to go with white. Maybe it will help. Currently have midnight silver.

If you really think it's a thickness issue, beware that the white is more layers than the silver.

Interestingly, I'm getting a buyback on my car for the doors too, and it's silver also. Only one of my doors has an issue, while the other is 100% fine, so I know it's possible to have a good door sensor on Silver, and that my issue is the sensor in the door.

They got back to me with the re-purchase quote. Basically total out of door purchase price - $7,500 tax credit and minus mileage use with the lemon formula (mileage @ 1st occurrence / 120,000 x full purchase price). I am requesting them to refund the software battery upgrade (60->75) I purchased 3 months ago for 4,500+tax. Another issue is that they will take the car away and cut me a check. If I order a replacement vehicle I'll be without a car until the new one arrives.

They got back to me with the re-purchase quote. Basically total out of door purchase price - $7,500 tax credit and minus mileage use with the lemon formula (mileage @ 1st occurrence / 120,000 x full purchase price). I am requesting them to refund the software battery upgrade (60->75) I purchased 3 months ago for 4,500+tax. Another issue is that they will take the car away and cut me a check. If I order a replacement vehicle I'll be without a car until the new one arrives.

Did they give you an option to get a replacement instead of refund?