Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X consumption on 22inch versus 20inch, not all that bad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speed over 65mph is the range killer, 20 or 22 wheels, temp, wind none of that matters compared to speed. At 70mph things are still ok, but if you push up to 80mph forget it, be prepared to stop.

Having just completed a 2900 mile road trip, I must respectfully disagree. In my experience, wind is a giant factor. 80 mph with a 15 mph tailwind is like going 65 mph. Temp is also a huge factor. Nothing you can do to recover the efficiency loss of traveling at 30 degrees.

Having just completed a 2900 mile road trip, I must respectfully disagree. In my experience, wind is a giant factor. 80 mph with a 15 mph tailwind is like going 65 mph. Temp is also a huge factor. Nothing you can do to recover the efficiency loss of traveling at 30 degrees.

Also, the tires themselves play a pretty significant role. I put in snow tires this winter & while it’s hard to quantify exactly, I’d bet they added a good 5 to 10% increase in consumption just by themselves.

Umm you might want to read this article.
Tesla Model X 20" vs 22" wheel range impact: bigger isn't better

You might also update your tow insurance for the future cracked wheel or blown tire, as this car has no spare.
Downgrading to 19″ Wheels

Summary of first article:
WOW! According to Tesla, choosing the Model X 22″ Onyx Black Wheels or 22″ Silver Turbine Wheels will result in a massive 10-15% loss of range, or approximately 40 miles (64 km).

Model X 22″ wheels will cost you 10-15% in range loss vs 20″ wheels

You would effectively be paying an extra $5,500 for the 22″ wheels and tires to lose approximately $10,000 worth of range (assuming a battery pack upgrade). At first, I thought this was some kind of website error, but Model X owners across forums and Facebook are confirming gains of 10%-12% by simply swapping out their 22″ wheels for 20″ wheels. If you’re looking for range, those 22″ wheels are not the way to go. I guess, as the old saying goes, there’s a price to pay for beauty.

SUMMARY
Tire size on the Model S has little impact on range, but on the Model X, the impact is relatively large. As you’re configuring your Tesla, you should carefully consider the tire size and the relative importance of range versus handling.

Larger tires cost more, wear out faster, and use more energy. Those larger wheels sure look and feel great, but for many of us, range and efficiency are our king and queen. (reposted due to mod delete - removed link to some dudes referral code)

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
32469998267_3155d33ec0_z_d.jpg
Looks tight AF. Still waitin on mine...

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
So yesterday I dropped my X off to the SC for some warranty work and had the chance to do some higher speed runs on the only bit of local Motorway was no traffic (M69). Only 10 miles of it sadly but was able to set AP at 85mph and maintain that speed.

The loaner I picked was also a X, 100D ob 20s. I repeated the same run at the same speed on the way home.

Temp was 5c (41F), damp roads, overall elevation change less than 50ft both ways, and 13mph cross wind.

Can people guess which run was in my car on 22s and which on 20s in the loaner?

46621745685_d89435a945_z_d.jpg

32594820677_2a2e069ee8_z_d.jpg

And this was my overall consumption graph for the trip, you can see how the high speed run saps range, but also how as soon as I hit traffic/road works the consumption returns to predicted.

Infact I was surprised despite the high speed run I managed to bear the predicted arrival SOC, given the rain, cold, and often standing traffic!! Which leads me to the same conclusion, love the look of the X on 22s, and there is hardly any range loss compared to 20s.

I was planning on putting 20s back come winter, but now may not bother :).

32594818837_517f1186ac_z_d.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum

We had some recent bad weather in the UK. I honestly saw no difference in range with or without a tail wind which really surprised me. This may be the fact those trips were coupled with torrential rain which we know destroys range. Also here in the UK even our motorways aren't really straight, so its actually very rare to get a direct headwind/tailwind, cross winds are far more common.

But the main point is regardless of 22s or 20s your running, other factors have a massive factor on consumption, the biggest is your right foot.

So bit more data on 22s consumption at different speeds, and hopefully be helpful for people planning long trips.

70 miles return trip with free flowing road roads today, nice weather, 10c (50f), cross wind both ways.

With AP set to 65mph, 'beat' estimated consumption on journey planner by just over 5% over 74 miles.

46634561495_a57f93ec1c_z_d.jpg

AP set at 75mph on return leg, matched the trip meter prediction, and 10% worse than traveling at 65mph.

So essentially even on 22s, providing no adverse weather/temperatures traveling at 70-75mph on a long run will match the range predictions the journey planner says, and slowing down by 10% will likely gain you 10% SOC over an 100 mile stint.

47497348972_96949000f7_b.jpg

Just reading this thread now, researching wheels. I currently have 22" wheels on my MX but interested in getting 20" for towing a trailer. For those of you with both, do you change them out yourself, have Tesla do it for you, or ? Thanks, just trying to figure out logistics if I get 20" wheels but want to put the 22" back on for day to day driving.

Just reading this thread now, researching wheels. I currently have 22" wheels on my MX but interested in getting 20" for towing a trailer. For those of you with both, do you change them out yourself, have Tesla do it for you, or ? Thanks, just trying to figure out logistics if I get 20" wheels but want to put the 22" back on for day to day driving.

Mobile service swapped mine in my driveway. Tech said they did that all the time. No idea on the cost, my swap was for a set of referral 22’s so it was free... this once.

Thanks, I'll ask them. Had no idea how much those would be, just figured it was expensive. Well yes, $5000 for a set of 4 wheels and tires...

Installation and balancing is included with new wheels that you buy from the web site. That is why I don’t know the cost to swap a set you already have. But I am guessing a couple hundred or so. It took him about an hour to do the work after he arrived.

Wow - I'd like to know how people are getting such wonderful range. I have a 2016 MX P100DL+ with FSD, and 22" wheels... I live in Arizona where our speed limits on the highway are 75mph but that means most people are driving 80-100mph most of the time between the two cities I travel between most. From Phoenix to Flagstaff (not far from Grand Canyon) elevation changes from 1000 feet to 7000 feet above sea level, with 2 very long inclines. It is 150 miles door to door, and I cannot make it without stopping at a supercharger, using about 700wh/mi. Going in the other direction it is a long downhill drive, so I return to Phoenix with about 75 miles on my MX. Would love to have better range and am seriously considering getting 20" wheels. We do a lot of long road trips, plus do this 150 mile drive 1-2 times a week.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
To add more data, I've driven several thousand miles on both 22" and 20" wheels. Judging by abetterrouteplanner.com (so any trips requiring recharging, generally but not exclusively freeway driving), my efficiency with the 22" wheels was well-calibrated at 380 Wh/mi, and with the 20" wheels at 330 Wh/mi, a 13% difference. With both of these calibrations, abetterrouteplanner.com regularly predicts my state of charge when I stop within 1%, so I think it's reasonable to assume they're accurate.

And yes, wind is extremely significant. The reason mileage drops so quickly when you go faster is that wind resistance increases with the square of the speed. Your speed relative to the air is what's important, so driving 75 mph with a 10 mph tailwind should look an awful lot like driving 65 mph.

Last edited:
most people are driving 80-100mph most of the time between the two cities I travel between most. From Phoenix to Flagstaff (not far from Grand Canyon) elevation changes from 1000 feet to 7000 feet above sea level, with 2 very long inclines. It is 150 miles door to door, and I cannot make it without stopping at a supercharger, using about 700wh/mi.

700wh/mi!!! If I see 350wh/mil on a long run am disappointed :).

Driving at 100mph and up a 6000 ft elevation gain! Going to 20s will make hardly any difference.

If the elevation gain is short bits have you tried slowing down to 65mph for those bits?

Anything over 80mph will also kill range in the X.

Umm you might want to read this article.
Tesla Model X 20" vs 22" wheel range impact: bigger isn't better

You might also update your tow insurance for the future cracked wheel or blown tire, as this car has no spare.
Downgrading to 19″ Wheels

Summary of first article:
WOW! According to Tesla, choosing the Model X 22″ Onyx Black Wheels or 22″ Silver Turbine Wheels will result in a massive 10-15% loss of range, or approximately 40 miles (64 km).

Model X 22″ wheels will cost you 10-15% in range loss vs 20″ wheels

You would effectively be paying an extra $5,500 for the 22″ wheels and tires to lose approximately $10,000 worth of range (assuming a battery pack upgrade). At first, I thought this was some kind of website error, but Model X owners across forums and Facebook are confirming gains of 10%-12% by simply swapping out their 22″ wheels for 20″ wheels. If you’re looking for range, those 22″ wheels are not the way to go. I guess, as the old saying goes, there’s a price to pay for beauty.

SUMMARY
Tire size on the Model S has little impact on range, but on the Model X, the impact is relatively large. As you’re configuring your Tesla, you should carefully consider the tire size and the relative importance of range versus handling.

Larger tires cost more, wear out faster, and use more energy. Those larger wheels sure look and feel great, but for many of us, range and efficiency are our king and queen. (reposted due to mod delete - removed link to some dudes referral code)
Thanks Xenoilphobe - great info. I am a new Tesla Model X owner and new to TMC.