Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, reminder that in 2012/2013 they had piles of sand barrels instead of the smart cushion they have now.
View attachment 289059

Those were a lot more visible, and a Model S / X hitting those would have a wider area so nothing jabbing between the frame rails.
I think they stopped using those because they were more expensive to replace, and harder for workers to replace.
I wonder if the number of impacts has risen because of the lower visibility of the new barrier.
Two aspects of the choice of barriers that are highlighted all the time are worker safety and cost. And those are perfectly reasonable (especially worker safety). But I read most of what @TEG posted about the smart cushion/barrier, and I barely saw driver safety being mentioned. Driver annoyance (with lane closures) was mentioned more often.
This is conjecture based on materials I saw posted here, but makes me think.

Reactions: f-stop and TEG
My bad, I referenced an S write up regarding module location.
Agreed, the barrier was most likely still collapsed following the 8a.m. report.

The problem I have with the flipping senariors is the apparent lack of damage on the rest of the car, or at least the right side we can see. It seems like if it had pitched down over the nose, the concrete part of the barrier would have gone through the roof. Followed by landing on the rear hatch before settling on the wheels. That's why I'm thinking it may have slid up the barrier, pitched up and to the right, and then landed at a right angle to original travel direction. Followed by getting hit in the other lane, having the front bits knocked off, and spinning it to the left against the concrete. Could have done a full airborne clockwise roll on the process.

Check out post 143.
The left tire, rim, and possible part of the drive unit is on the barrier, and the barrier structure is destroyed. You can also see the trail of absorbent they used that traces the coolant leak path. There is another shot I'm failing to find from before the fire that shows the coolant trace also.

Curious where the traffic monitoring cameras are in this area and wondering if they might have captured video of the moments leading up to the impact. Are those typically run by CHP?

Here's a link to the Mountain View Voice that had a small article on the crash. The 3rd commentor down posted that she was there maybe 2 minutes after the crash and relayed what she saw. Tesla driver dies in Hwy. 101 crash Not sure about the 12th post there, but they said KRON reported the Tesla was on the left side about to take the commuter lane onto the flyover and at last minute went to stay on 101S. No idea if that was conjecture or based on an eyewitness account.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lemketron
Further down in that article somebody said it was reported that the Tesla driver was headed for the 85 but tried to stay on the 101 at the last second and clipped the guardrail. If that is the actual reality, then it was purely driver error. Sure, Caltrans could no doubt do a better job with that intersection, nobody disputes that, but tens of thousands of cars go by there everyday without wrecking, so we really can’t place all the blame on Caltrans.

Again, that is based solely on the speculation of what I read about the car trying to change freeways at the last second.

It’s sad that all the reports say “Tesla wreck” or some various form but always the word “Tesla”. Just like somebody commented in that article, the general public hears the word “Tesla” and instantly turns on the hate. “Another death due to the car not driving itself correctly” is typically the general consensus.

That sort of incorrect publicity is no doubt a factor in holding back the technology that will ultimately make the roads safer.

Account from a driver that stopped to call 911, and took a handful of pictures right after the crash (see the “View” links in his replies). You can clearly see the car was not on entirely on fire when the driver was extracted. He says the driver was still in his seat and had his seatbelt on when he got there. They removed him when it became clear extinguishers would not stop the fire from spreading.
Tesla assists in removing partially destroyed battery pack after tragic fatal crash resulted in a fire

Since many folk on the board have driven that highway hundreds of times for years, why did they wait until now to complain? How many folk hit that idiot cushion, how many injured, how many died? Just kidding of course.

I do question which is less likely to result in death or serious injury:
  • Shutting down freeway immediately after somebody hits an idiot cushion to repair it, thus directing people onto city streets they are unfamiliar with that might also have dangers. People will be really late, so get agitated and angry.
  • Partially shutting down the freeway which causes people to get frustrated, driving irratically and often in the emergency lanes. When there is one crash, there often is more upstream. Then there is danger to the workers themselves, because people in a hurry do not have much empathy for other humans in a bad situation. This puts workers and other drivers at risk concurrently.
  • Waiting until other work must be done such as street sweeping or line painting, and do both at once when it's not crowded, and the freeway is closed. This might actually combine risk periods and reduce injuries and deaths.

Reactions: mattack4000
No it's not if you read the link. In the X and 3 it's under the passenger side seat at the center console. From early photos you can see the seat coverings burnt off and the console a melted mess. Question I would have with just that little bit of info about the location is is it protected from heat/water and could info still be retrieved?

Too bad the local responding fire department hadn't been educated in advance of how to handle battery fires. Find this kind of shocking given how many EVs are on the road in this area and with Tesla really just down the road. From what I understand the fire department wasn't sure what to do so basically called Tesla and let it burn in the meantime. Maybe some of our members who were driving past in the other direction or on an overhead ramp to the side and saw it on fire can say what they saw. I know Tesla recommends lots and lots of water on it. While some later photos after the car's fire was extinguished show water on the ground we also see some type of white foam.

+1 re fire department comment.

Given the number of Tesla’s/EVs in Cal. you would expect that EV fire suppression/handling would be a key training item.

These are very high paying jobs so it shouldn’t be a talent issue.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Further down in that article somebody said it was reported that the Tesla driver was headed for the 85 but tried to stay on the 101 at the last second and clipped the guardrail. If that is the actual reality, then it was purely driver error. Sure, Caltrans could no doubt do a better job with that intersection, nobody disputes that, but tens of thousands of cars go by there everyday without wrecking, so we really can’t place all the blame on Caltrans.

Again, that is based solely on the speculation of what I read about the car trying to change freeways at the last second.

It’s sad that all the reports say “Tesla wreck” or some various form but always the word “Tesla”. Just like somebody commented in that article, the general public hears the word “Tesla” and instantly turns on the hate. “Another death due to the car not driving itself correctly” is typically the general consensus.

That sort of incorrect publicity is no doubt a factor in holding back the technology that will ultimately make the roads safer.
If that is the case, and he was at the absolute last minute, the car could have gotten “caught” on the rails of the crushed barrier, driving him into the concrete divider, instead of just clipping it, or clearing it entirely.
Could be a factor, but this is just speculation.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
+1 re fire department comment.

Given the number of Tesla’s/EVs in Cal. you would expect that EV fire suppression/handling would be a key training item.

These are very high paying jobs so it shouldn’t be a talent issue.

Is there even a scientific consensus as to how to handle a large lithium ion fire in a public area?
Last word I heard is flooding the battery as much as possible with just water. The voltage isn't there because besides water being a poor conductor, the cells will short somewhat at their 2.5-4.2vdc voltage. Water conduction doesn't work in series, it works in parallel.

But what about the runoff water? Is there anything California won't allow in it? Remember this is the state where even sawdust is considered a biohazard as is a campfire.

Should it happen to you at home somehow, everybody evacuate then flood it, be it a notebook computer, a backup power brick, an electric bicycle, or a car. You keep the temperature of the battery down and you slow the reaction. Maybe enough to stop a fire from ever starting.

Last edited:
@Az_Rael, that NBCBayArea report and video you linked to was very interesting saying the CHP said he was in the left car pool lane before impacting the barrier and going airborn and then being struck. Still doesn't explain if he was seen avoiding a car or making a sudden lane switch or maybe something else. The fact that a number of people heard a loud explosion and thought the car had exploded also had me wondering was the sound from the impact or the batteries catching on fire and exploding. One guy did mention sparks flying up in the air.

I am puzzled what that silver canister looking thing is still. It was there on the roadway before the fire trucks arrived on the scene. Anyone recognize that as part of the X?

The silver canister in that photo is the air tank for the vehicle's air suspension.

That’s like one of the busiest section of highway in the area, traffic is basically 24/7, 365 a year. Watch the same people that are complaining will complaint about the traffic jam or the overtime they have to pay for working on weekend and overnight.

How about this? Don’t hit a concrete wall...

Since many folk on the board have driven that highway hundreds of times for years, why did they wait until now to complain? How many folk hit that idiot cushion, how many injured, how many died? Just kidding of course.

I do question which is less likely to result in death or serious injury:
  • Shutting down freeway immediately after somebody hits an idiot cushion to repair it, thus directing people onto city streets they are unfamiliar with that might also have dangers. People will be really late, so get agitated and angry.
  • Partially shutting down the freeway which causes people to get frustrated, driving irratically and often in the emergency lanes. When there is one crash, there often is more upstream. Then there is danger to the workers themselves, because people in a hurry do not have much empathy for other humans in a bad situation. This puts workers and other drivers at risk concurrently.
  • Waiting until other work must be done such as street sweeping or line painting, and do both at once when it's not crowded, and the freeway is closed. This might actually combine risk periods and reduce injuries and deaths.

Reactions: McRat
scenepic1.png

screne2.png

Last edited:
My guess would be that the X came at an angle from the 85 flyover heading back toward 101, hit the barrier, and broke apart with the windshield flying off and under frunk components and dashboard breaking into parts and falling into the roadway. It looks like maybe a car behind hit what was left of the X and may have made it point back towards the wall.
guess1.png

Note, the front end was torn apart by the crash. The driver was removed from the car before emergency responders arrived. There was no "jaws of life" pulling apart the front end.

CHP Redwood City on Twitter
The Tesla was then hit by a Mazda as it landed on the #2 lane of US-101 and then hit by an Audi on the #1 lane. Total 3 vehicles involved

Last edited:

Agree, car hitting barrier is driver's fault. However, barrier being collapsed with two cones next to it is Caltrans' responsibility.
Even more so if the track does trap the car. Rail is 3-4 inches tall is more than the sidewall of 4.7 or 3.7 depending on wheel size.

A concrete wall would have been much better to hit, that is part of the concern.

Reactions: e-FTW
That’s like one of the busiest section of highway in the area, traffic is basically 24/7, 365 a year. Watch the same people that are complaining will complaint about the traffic jam or the overtime they have to pay for working on weekend and overnight.

In addition to "Don't Hit Shiit" which is my personal motto I try to obey when driving, at this particular transition, I'd also apply McRat's First Axiom of Safe Driving: When danger looms - Drive the Car. If a situation can be dangerous, prepare for danger. Use steering, brakes, and good judgement to drive the car.

I see those transitions as a threat. ALWAYS. Folk will cut across 5 lanes instantly without looking to get to the correct lane. They do not understand that if you miss a ramp, you can go around and try again. They believe it to be #7 the 10 Commandants of Modern Driving:

1. I always have right of way.
  2. When I don't have right of way, see #1.
  3. Anything on my phone is more important than your life, or mine for that matter.
  4. Turn signals are for suckers.
  5. If someone needs to merge, stop them at all costs.
  6. Pedestrians, bicycles, and motorcycles do not have permission to be on MY road. MINE.
  7. It's never too late to catch a turn you missed.
  8. Everybody will brake for me. Obviously you can see from a distance I'm important.
  9. If God did not want us to tailgate, then why did he put bumpers on cars?
  10. The right lane is for high speed passing, especially Truck Only lanes.
Most likely one of two things happened here. Either he ignored The First Axiom, #3, #7. The theory he was rammed into it and could not brake assumes he let a car get right beside him in a Panic Lane Change area.

My guess would be that the X came at an angle from the 85 flyover heading back toward 101, hit the barrier, and broke apart with the windshield flying off and under frunk components and dashboard breaking into parts and falling into the roadway. It looks like maybe a car behind hit what was left of the X and may have made it point back towards the wall.
View attachment 289135

Note, the front end was torn apart by the crash. The driver was removed from the car before emergency responders arrived. There was no "jaws of life" pulling apart the front end.

I think the direction change was more abrupt at impact, If the liquid in #134 is the path. It could also just be the runoff direction.

Once again, you are dealing with a place that cars shouldn’t be driving in to begin with. Do you blame Caltrain for every car that flew off the road and into an embankment? The same with the homeless woman that was hit by the uber car, how about not crossing the street when cars are coming...

Agree, car hitting barrier is driver's fault. However, barrier being collapsed with two cones next to it is Caltrans' responsibility.
Even more so if the track does trap the car. Rail is 3-4 inches tall is more than the sidewall of 4.7 or 3.7 depending on wheel size.

A concrete wall would have been much better to hit, that is part of the concern.
O

More witness accounts being published:

I thought this NBCBayArea news story was mentioned before but just reading it, I'm seeing new witness information that I don't recall reading before. "I rounded towards what used to be the front of the car and saw, remarkably, an intact man that was covered in a light layer of dust. The front of the car was simply gone." This was from a motorcycle guy passing right by the Tesla. There's a little bit more in the article. Driver Dies Following Fiery Tesla Model X Crash on Hwy. 101

anonim1979 on Electrek's article comment section posted this quote (source not mentioned):
Comment from a witness:
> I passed this accident before the fire started as I was driving northbound on the 85 to 101 overpass. The Hwy 101 southbound 1-4 lanes were blocked by the accident prior to the fire, and the front of the Model X was missing with the driver mostly (maybe fully) exposed - No hood/windshield/dashboard left on the car. Any "fire" was just an after effect.

Really want to applaud those guys that stopped to help remove the driver from the car. Like to think if we're ever in a crash people would come to our aid as well. And hope to think I would do the same.

Last edited:
That is a scary barrier. If auto pilot messed up - yikes. If he/she made a last minute lane change and misjudged the barrier - yikes.

I am surprised it does not happen more at that exchange.
Indeed. I almost hit it once because I was following the pavement (concrete) cracks, and not the painted lines which were all over the place. I was looking at other cars at the time to make certain they wouldn't hit me or vice versa. It scared the hell out of me. That was a sobering drive home.