Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash cam install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I am definitely interested, please post some pics and his charge for the install. How will you be powering the dashcam?
You saw the other thread that I posted asking for suggestions. No one chimed in, so I'm going to have to figure it out. I assuming I will have to come from the fusebox up the b pillar down the channel to the camera.
Unless you or anyone else knows of an (always on) power source in the headliner like with Model S?

You saw the other thread that I posted asking for suggestions. No one chimed in, so I'm going to have to figure it out. I assuming I will have to come from the fusebox up the b pillar down the channel to the camera.
Unless you or anyone else knows of an (always on) power source in the headliner like with Model S?

Does the Model X have a OBD port, I believe others did that on the S as a simple power source

I came across this site on the Model S thread: tesladashcam.com

They are offering an OEM look dash cam solution for the Model S but I am curious on knowing if this would work on the Model X. Based on their instructions, the install seems to be relatively simple.

Perhaps one of you that own both a S and X can give this dashcam a shot, you can first try it on the X if it works/fits BINGO but if not you can just install it on your S.

It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles as the blackvue but it seems to have a factory finish and it blends into the back of the mirror. Would prevent a thief from breaking into the car and stealing it.

What do you guys think?

Note that the price is in Australian dollars so USD should be lower.

Reactions: goneskiian

They are offering an OEM look dash cam solution for the Model S but I am curious on knowing if this would work on the Model X. Based on their instructions, the install seems to be relatively simple.

Perhaps one of you that own both a S and X can give this dashcam a shot, you can first try it on the X if it works/fits BINGO but if not you can just install it on your S.

It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles as the blackvue but it seems to have a factory finish and it blends into the back of the mirror. Would prevent a thief from breaking into the car and stealing it.

What do you guys think?

Note that the price is in Australian dollars so USD should be lower.
That looks like a super slick setup!

From @Muzzman1's install thread it doesn't look like it would snap in place quite so cleanly though. Maybe if we send them some pictures they can tell us if it will work on the X or not.

That looks like a super slick setup!

From @Muzzman1's install thread it doesn't look like it would snap in place quite so cleanly though. Maybe if we send them some pictures they can tell us if it will work on the X or not.

I asked they said NO. I will just go for the blackvue dr650GW-2ch but for some reason I have a strange feeling that a new version might come out soon

I asked they said NO. I will just go for the blackvue dr650GW-2ch but for some reason I have a strange feeling that a new version might come out soon
Bummer. I really like that OEM look. Not to mention the ease of installation. Maybe if we offered to help with detailed pictures they would make an adapter of some sort.

It's a bummer that it doesn't get constant power too though.

Bummer. I really like that OEM look. Not to mention the ease of installation. Maybe if we offered to help with detailed pictures they would make an adapter of some sort.

It's a bummer that it doesn't get constant power too though.

This is what they said:
"We have seen high resolution photos of the Model X rear view mirror. Unfortunately our product is not compatible and we don't have any plans in the near future."

Not sure if the bulky housing is worse than a Blackvue.

But, from their FAQ's is the following...

Q: Will the Dashcam have an impact on my battery range?
A: No! The Dashcam will have no noticeable impact on your battery range. The Dashcam is only powered when the rear view mirror receives power which is when the vehicle is ON. The Dashcam will automatically power off when you exit the vehicle.

This would be a game changer for me. Why have a dashcam if it only records or is on less than 5% of the time.

Plus, having a rear camera doubles the chances you will catch something if something happens to your car.

JMO

Not sure if the bulky housing is worse than a Blackvue.

But, from their FAQ's is the following...

Q: Will the Dashcam have an impact on my battery range?
A: No! The Dashcam will have no noticeable impact on your battery range. The Dashcam is only powered when the rear view mirror receives power which is when the vehicle is ON. The Dashcam will automatically power off when you exit the vehicle.

This would be a game changer for me. Why have a dashcam if it only records or is on less than 5% of the time.

Plus, having a rear camera doubles the chances you will catch something if something happens to your car.

JMO

I rather have something always on, gonna go for the blackvue after the price gets lower.

Spotted this on the web! Looks like a new one will come out shortly! DR650S-2CH

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    199 KB · Views: 114