Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X December Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My config is pretty standard, all the popular options. Only rare thing about it is being p90D. Even then I've seen those ordered later roll off the line already.

Even if they scrapped my car 3x over, the production time would still be less than 37 days. I wish I did the factory tour so I can spot my car and see what is going on in person!!

@polymathic I'm with you although I am not having second thoughts on my purchase. My wife and I are happy with what we did however the way everything has transpired has been extremely frustrating. I have a great DS who always responds to my inquiries within a very short period of time but the fact I have to be the one who initiates any transfer of information as to timing is annoying at times. For all I know if I didn't send him an email once in a while I would be sitting here completely in the dark with no way to plan around Tesla's production strategy. I do have one car and one truck available to move around so I am not one of those who has sold their car or gave it back due to lease expirations so I can't complain from that standpoint. Watching other MXs and MSs leave the factory within a couple of weeks of order confirmation leaves me with my jaw on the floor though. I see truck loads of Teslas on the freeways coming down here everyday heading to their points of destination so any excuse around planning deliveries based upon geography tends to be a weak one for me.

Just get it out of QUEUE please!!!

At this point, I think everyone that ordered in CA is having second thoughts. It's a really terrible to see people that ordered the cars 1month+ have their cars built and shipped already. I'm having second thoughts and not too much faith left that I will be receiving it this year.

@ ming I hear you. My guess is you and I will be picking ours up in Costa Mesa around the same time and they will perhaps be on the same truck coming down. We'll need to keep track of each others orders to see how it all ends up. I am in Laguna Niguel so we aren't that far apart.

I don't make any guarantees about anything, but I'll say that Tesla has a tendency to "blow 'em out" at quarter end. Year-end is even more extreme. So I wouldn't be surprised if you still get them this year, assuming you'd like to.

That said, a word of caution. It may be worth asking to postpone your build to avoid quality issues. My experience with Tesla is that quarter- and year-end vehicles are part of a rush, and that rush can sometimes include oversights. My X was early, but it was a quarter-end vehicle that I requested NOT be delivered at quarter-end. They delivered it the 4th of April. So yeah.. you might want to be clearer than I was. Unless you're dying for the tax credit against 2016 income, I would personally suggest pushing it to mid- or late-January. But then, I'm not waiting on an X.

My 2c, take or leave them as you wish.

My car in production since Nov 9. DS says I'm more than halfway through production (you would think), and expect completion end of next week.

Not sure why my car would have to be in production for 37 days, while others are getting 2 days.

Order confirmed Oct 2. Seems so long ago LOL.

I am in a similar boat. I ordered a week before you and went into production a week after. During the grand factory tour in late October they were boasting about cars getting in and out of the production line in 5 days. Apparently not. I added the "Days in Production" column in the spreadsheet so that I could spend my days watching my entry slowly float to the top. 20 days and counting :)

Hello...new member and soon to be owner. First post.

90D
Solid Black
6 Seater
Multipattern
EAP
Black 22 Wheels
(No PUP)

Confirmed the order and received VIN on 11/26/16.

Was promised by Sales Person that I'd take delivery by Christmas otherwise will cancel order and refund my deposit.

Vehicle will be registered and financed through my business. MyTesla is a little weird. It's still asking for my Drivers License information in the Registration section even though the green check is next to the Drivers License box. I applied for financing through Tesla Lending as was also promised 1.74 for 72 months, however, I selected 60 months. Any idea as to what that rate is (A++ credit). Received and email stating that they have received my application and will contact me in 24-48 hours. I guess the Payment box on MyTesla does not have the green check until this is finalized?

Cheers!

Well I just received an email stating that financing is approved followed by a phone call from my DS (very nice person) stating that vehicle will be ready for pickup in the final week of December. That's ~30 days from confirmation to delivery...not too shabby!

I don't make any guarantees about anything, but I'll say that Tesla has a tendency to "blow 'em out" at quarter end. Year-end is even more extreme. So I wouldn't be surprised if you still get them this year, assuming you'd like to.

That said, a word of caution. It may be worth asking to postpone your build to avoid quality issues. My experience with Tesla is that quarter- and year-end vehicles are part of a rush, and that rush can sometimes include oversights. My X was early, but it was a quarter-end vehicle that I requested NOT be delivered at quarter-end. They delivered it the 4th of April. So yeah.. you might want to be clearer than I was. Unless you're dying for the tax credit against 2016 income, I would personally suggest pushing it to mid- or late-January. But then, I'm not waiting on an X.

My 2c, take or leave them as you wish.
@ohmman Don't think I haven't already given this some serious thought. I intentionally placed my order at the end of September with the sole purpose of avoiding this EOQ/EOY scenario but for some reason it has come to haunt me. Not sure why, but it has, and all I can get are the standard DS verbiage that generically outlines why it is being delayed. If there was a shortage of something they should at least tell me. But, as I watch truckload after truckload of new vehicles driving south through LA and OC, generalized excuses are becoming harder to swallow.

Reactions: ohmman
Keep in mind that there was likely a large cache of cars that postponed for AP 2 plus several other situations that likely resulted in a lot of cars taking priority over new incoming sales.

For example we ordered in August and postponed until November hoping we'd get AP 2 and I know we weren't the only ones who did that, as a result our order most likely took priority over someone who ordered in October or November.

Also consider new hardware adds new logistic problems ramping up production of likely choppy at first.

@Gregkeys I am fully aware of the AP2 delays and have factored that, as well as the retooling and installation complexities, into the equation. But, at some point in time the combination of still in Production Queue and total silence becomes a bit much. I feel like the little kid looking under the Christmas tree at all the wrapped packages, wanting to dive in and begin the destruction of mounds of Christmas wrapping paper but knowing, sitting in the chair across the room is my dad, eyes firmly locked on me, daring me to even move towards my target. :eek::(

Yes, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this purchase. Not only are people who ordered a month and a half later than us getting their cars, but Tesla has also broken its delivery promise in my case. I was told mine would go into production in Nov.
Don't give up hope! Remember that in 6 months this delay will not be important anymore, but you'll have a great car.

Reactions: Finder
My config is pretty standard, all the popular options. Only rare thing about it is being p90D. Even then I've seen those ordered later roll off the line already.

Even if they scrapped my car 3x over, the production time would still be less than 37 days. I wish I did the factory tour so I can spot my car and see what is going on in person!!

Seems like they are shipping cars out to other parts of the country first before you californians get yours. Sorry to hear that. My P90D standard white is being delivered tonight, 5 days ahead of schedule. :) Tesla estimated delivery date was dec 11-25.

It's a very simple explanation as to why certain members are "jumping" the line. In order to hit quarterly numbers, the closer you are to the factory, the later in the quarter you will receive your car. This is an inescapable fact, not a theory. Blame Wall Street for being so wrapped up in short-term numbers; there's a reason Elon hates being a public company.

To the 9/28 ordering crowd - if you live in CA, unfortunately, that's the worst time to buy a Tesla if you want quick turnaround. There is no way for them to produce and deliver your car in Q3, so you get pushed to Q4. Once a new quarter starts, production gets batched and you get pushed to the end of Q4. Quarterly production looks like this:

- first 3-4 weeks of production: Asia
- next 3-4 weeks of production: Europe
- last 6 weeks of production: US

There are of course some exceptions here and there, but this is the general rule. This ensures that cars produced in a quarter (to the extent possible) get delivered in that same quarter)

In that last 6 weeks of US production, they have to schedule everything so the maximum number of US orders receive a car in that quarter. That means they start with the furthest-away orders and work their way back closer to the factory as the quarter draws to a close. The far away orders get sent by rail, which can take 3-4 weeks. If they produce those mid-December, those guys don't get Q4 cars. If they produce CA cars mid-December, the CA guy gets the car in Q4.

To those with late December/early January dates - don't worry, it's coming in December. Tesla will move heaven and earth to get that car in your hands by the end of quarter, even if they have to expedite shipping by truck to get it there in time (which they always do at quarter end, probably at great expense to them). If they don't, it defeats the whole purpose of all the stuff I wrote above.

If you are coming from another automaker this is probably confusing, but it's simply the way Tesla must operate at this stage in its lifecycle. Tesla isn't giving others in the queue preferential treatment-there is no conspiracy and it doesn't mean your car had production issues or whatever-it's just the logistics they must employ to maximize profits. I'm not saying everyone has to like this approach, I just want everyone to understand why things are happening so they don't waste their time fighting against it.

Seems like they are shipping cars out to other parts of the country first before you californians get yours. Sorry to hear that. My P90D standard white is being delivered tonight, 5 days ahead of schedule. :) Tesla estimated delivery date was dec 11-25.
@bushburner Congrats. You will be one happy camper very, very soon.

As for California deliveries, I would like to say that is true but as I watch truckload after truckload of new Teslas coming south through LA, OC and San Diego it looks to me like those of us in SoCal are getting some of them.

@bushburner Congrats. You will be one happy camper very, very soon.

As for California deliveries, I would like to say that is true but as I watch truckload after truckload of new Teslas coming south through LA, OC and San Diego it looks to me like those of us in SoCal are getting some of them.

well my assumption was wrong then. hopefully people who ordered their cars in sept or oct get it before xmas.