Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X December Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Untrue. Mrvtjh in IL is taking delivery on the 9th, ordered on 10/22. Phazor in FL is taking delivery on the 14th, ordered on Nov 13th.

I ordered on 10/7 and my car is supposed to still be in production on the 14th.

Also, for some of us told that we'd have our cars by November, we had scheduled trips for the end of the year. I'm out starting the 23rd of Dec. If they don't have it to me by then, well, no revenue for them this year. Seemed like no big issue when that was 11 weeks away from my order and I was quoted 6.

To me, all of this would have been solved by them saying "end of quarter" instead of "6 weeks". Just tell everyone that there is no ryhme or reason except the quarter, and if you live on the west coast, it will be EOQ. Set that expectation right up front. But of course, why do that because once someone goes 7 days, they're stuck, so you might as well lie to them as if their order date matters, so they will lock in as early as possible thinking that will get them a car earlier. This is a very unusual customer transaction where ordering earlier doesn't even start to define when you will get your product.
No, what I said wasn't "untrue." My original post on this topic noted that there are exceptions to the strict regional batching that occurs (which, again, is not a theory - as an investor I study this stuff carefully). Here's three off the top of my head:

1. Someone specifies a month of delivery, like an August order asking for November delivery. This creates "off-cycle" deliveries. This doesn't mean you can order July and guarantee August delivery of course - specifying a month slows down your delivery; it can't speed it up.
2. There's a production issue and a car has to be remade. These are rare but they jump the line as you'd expect.
3. The big one - batching by options. Though regionality is by far the biggest factor in delivery timing, options can play a significant role as well. It's also not perfectly understood and can create anomalies, probably like the 2 you mentioned above. Basically, if the factory is say doing a run of east coast cars in November with like features and there's a slot open, they might throw in a more recently ordered west coast car to avoid some kind of situation where they might not be building that option sequence again for a while (maybe they had to reorder paint? or the option mix wasn't popular? who knows). Or the opposite can occur - an east coast order narrowly misses its option batching run and they have to wait until the next one right before quarter end and rush the guy his car to the east coast by truck at the last minute.

Bottom line is Tesla is not a normal company. They do things way different compared to the traditional automakers. At this stage they have to bow to institutional investors' demands or face significant stock price issues while they are still in extreme growth mode and need capital. By the way, I agree on communication - they need to improve - and I think they will as they scale up. For now, we have to deal with early adopter quirks.

I'll stop clogging up this thread with my posts now. I just wanted to provide some background to people who might be frustrated/confused and reassure them that Tesla is not screwing them over intentionally or anything like that. They are fighting like hell to make the numbers and are chronically understaffed as they try to fill insane demand while still attempting to scale up. Good luck with the cars everyone - you won't care even a little bit about the rough delivery experience once you have the car in your hands.

Just saw the email from Tesla that came in around 1:14AM... Your Tesla is complete.

Estimated delivery December 24, 2016 to January 07, 2017.

I'm hoping for 23 or 24.

Im super pumped.
Congrats fellow PAer!!!! What's funny is I got the email on 12/2 and my estimated delivery was Dec 25 to Jan 8. This variance of information is what is driving everyone crazy!! They must just know that my truck driver is a slower driver than yours.....yeah......that's it!!

The explanations for Bay Area residents having to wait longer do not make this right. I've put a down payment, and have been locked into a configuration for a very long time, during which I cannot change on thing without a $600 fee. When Tesla breaks its promise on a delivery while simultaneously fulfilling orders that are a month and half newer than yours, it demonstrates unequal treatment of its costumers. At many levels, this isn't fair, from using the term queue (implying a line where people wait their turn) to its extended use of my downpayment (free money) while giving me in return fewer options to change my configuration. This is not the experience I was expecting.

The DS seems to me a useless prop, some sort of innocuous succor with no real bearing on anything. For all I know, my DS could be a bot.

To those who say it still will be a great car even if it come a month late... No, it won't be because I won't be buying it. I have $25,000 in tax savings to lose if this car isn't delivered in December, and already the current delay has ruined my family Christmas plans. And for what? To look good on paper for Q4? Tesla first genuflects and pays obeisance to Wall Street, then it seems to worry about its fairness to costumers as an after thought.
Unequal treatment like the number of supercharger deployed in state, the sequencing west to east for Model III, the option for factory pickup, etc., etc. etc. Californians complaining about treatment by Tesla rings a little hollow to the rest of us in the hinterlands and even more hollow to Europeans, Asians and RHD countries.

Unequal treatment like the number of supercharger deployed in state, the sequencing west to east for Model III, the option for factory pickup, etc., etc. etc. Californians complaining about treatment by Tesla rings a little hollow to the rest of us in the hinterlands and even more hollow to Europeans, Asians and RHD countries.

It's all about communication. You know the Model III will be west coast first, and where the superchargers are coming because Tesla publishes that info. You get to make an informed decision on your purchase.

For many people frustrated here, Tesla stated delivery in a timeframe (6 weeks in my case). They are now almost double that, and I am seeing people that ordered much after me get their cars before mine has even started. This is lack of information. If we'd been told our order date didn't matter and they would cram all west coast orders in the EOY. maybe I would have waited until late Nov to order.

It's all about communication. You know the Model III will be west coast first, and where the superchargers are coming because Tesla publishes that info. You get to make an informed decision on your purchase.

For many people frustrated here, Tesla stated delivery in a timeframe (6 weeks in my case). They are now almost double that, and I am seeing people that ordered much after me get their cars before mine has even started. This is lack of information. If we'd been told our order date didn't matter and they would cram all west coast orders in the EOY. maybe I would have waited until late Nov to order.
It is baffling that they didn't reach out to you. They need to excise post-order support staff off of their sales team, and reconfigure it based on a hospitality model. Hiring a Burberry exec to oversee the DS program is bananas.

Greg, happy for you though it's yet another case of a November car being delivered before October cars are even in production. This one is being delivered almost as far away from Freemont as is possible in the USA, so arguments about shipping time don't seem to fly.

There are people whose cars have been in production for almost as long as it took Greg to enter his order, confirm it, get the car made, and have it shipped across the country.

Reactions: hollywood
I live in Europe and my car just entered Production queue. My VIN number says December 2016 production when decoding it.
I thought only cars for US was being made in December?

Hoping it would be produced in January giving me a bigger chance of getting the upgrade to 100D option

I live in Europe and my car just entered Production queue. My VIN number says December 2016 production when decoding it.
I thought only cars for US was being made in December?

Hoping it would be produced in January giving me a bigger chance of getting the upgrade to 100D option
Your car is in production queue, next step will be 'In production', which is likely to happen in January or February.

Awesome!!! How is your buddy's build quality and does all of his extremities function properly?
passenger side door and rear quarter panel trim is misaligned. Everything else looks fine. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I have been working so haven't had a chance to play with it yet. My wife is disappointed with the misalignment, but I guess from reading this forum, I knew I might get this problem. I will bring it up to the service ranger to realign it for us when we talk to him.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Wise1919
My DS has so far provided absolutely zero value so far. This is how she responds to why its been 21 days in production:

"Thank you for reaching out. Your Model X is still in active production but moving along very nicely. It should be complete within the next week or two and I will reach out as soon as I learn more."

I know its a big factory but there is no place to move around nicely for 21 days :( My holiday plans are a mess because of this uncertainty.

Ordered: Sept 18
In Production: Nov 16

passenger side door and rear quarter panel trim is misaligned. Everything else looks fine. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I have been working so haven't had a chance to play with it yet. My wife is disappointed with the misalignment, but I guess from reading this forum, I knew I might get this problem. I will bring it up to the service ranger to realign it for us when we talk to him.

Can you please provide a picture so I know what to look for during my delivery. Pretty please