Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...over a full year later, March 2024, and the problem is still the same.
Disappointing for a premium model.

In defense of Tesla, the problem, apparently, was that occasionally (for various reasons--maybe the sensors become obstructed, somehow?) the driver's door would hit objects (e.g., another car parked too close to the driver's side or perhaps nearby vegetation?), causing minor damage. So they have reduced the opening angle from 20°-45° down to just 10°, so the driver can now more safely open the door manually the remainder of the way. Not a perfect solution, I know, but perhaps understandable?

Came across this post from Google, dated March 2023. I hit the last arrow >> to go to the last page over a full year later, March 2024, and the problem is still the same.
Disappointing for a premium model
In defense of Tesla, the problem, apparently, was that occasionally (for various reasons--maybe the sensors become obstructed, somehow?) the driver's door would hit objects (e.g., another car parked too close to the driver's side or perhaps nearby vegetation?), causing minor damage. So they have reduced the opening angle from 20°-45° down to just 10°, so the driver can now more safely open the door manually the remainder of the way. Not a perfect solution, I know, but perhaps understandable?
But then why was the feature not disabled on older models? I've heard it's only on the newer models without ultrasonic sensors, no?

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
@RRWilson said: But then why was the feature not disabled on older models? I've heard it's only on the newer models without ultrasonic sensors, no?

My excuses on behalf of Tesla are at an end. I have no answers to your reasonable questions.

Yes, my (December 2020 production date) driver door is still opening up as before (although I do not yet have the latest software with v12 FSD).

The good news is that the electrical-mechanical ability for the door to open automatically is still there, apparently. So a future software update could correct things, I hope.

Last edited:
My excuses on behalf of Tesla are at an end. I have no answers to your reasonable questions.

Yes, my (December 2020 production date) driver door is still opening up as before (although I do not yet have the latest software with v12 FSD).

The good news is that the electrical-mechanical ability for the door to open automatically is still there, apparently. So a future software update could correct things, I hope.
Yeah unfortunately (I hope Im wrong) I don't think Tesla vision, even with software updates, will ever replace the ability of ultrasonic sensors. At least not with the current camera models and current placement. Maybe on a future redesigned X. As it's already been two years since USS was removed from bumpers on other models to save money, and the basic parking vision is still bad. I would imagine X auto opening doors are an even lower priority.

And I don't know about that random Twitter video or who that poster is. Seems odd. I'll wait for more reports and videos.

Yeah unfortunately (I hope Im wrong) I don't think Tesla vision, even with software updates, will ever replace the ability of ultrasonic sensors....

Driving around (in ever-increasing Sacramento-area traffic) with a "Classic"/"Legacy version Model X, which I mostly like, I am always thinking, "What if the car was totaled and (a) I survive without a scratch, natch and (b) I have to get a new car. Would I get another X?"

Unfortunately it seems EM (I blame everything on him) is removing, changing, and not adding features I like/want (e.g., loss of SW stalks, self-presenting door feature, powered frunk hood, better batteries, loss of adjustable headrests, etc.) and retaining or adding ones I don't (e.g., FWDs, landscape center touch display, rear touch display, yoke SW (fortunately now an option), lower maximum range, etc.).

On another site I was commenting that if forced to buy a new car I would definitely also look at the Rivian RS1 now, in addition to Model X. (I would have compared the two models in early 2021, but the Rivian SUV was not available, and with larger battery set, at that time.) Maybe I'd look for a low-mileage used X (with transferable unlimited SC-ing!).

All joking aside, the cheapening (my word) of Tesla cars worries me. But this probably happens to most new companies, as after the brand takes off they start looking for ways to maintain/increase profits, cut costs, and please stockholders.

I haven't researched this topic, but are there rumors of a new Model X (or other replacement top-of-the-line Tesla SUV) coming? When? Another game-changer (for all models) will be if Tesla can ever advance FSD into Level 4 or 5. That would be something! Lastly, the new Model 2 (or whatever its called) may be exciting (for the brand). We'll see.

Reactions: doghousePVD
All joking aside, the cheapening (my word) of Tesla cars worries me. But this probably happens to most new companies, as after the brand takes off they start looking for ways to maintain/increase profits, cut costs, and please stockholders.

You have to understand the thought process. Darth Muskrat doesn't think of himself running a CAR company, he thinks of Tesla as a SOFTWARE company that installs their programs into cars. There is a process that most software companies go through, and Tesla is no exception here. There is a word for that: Enshittification. The intentional making-worse-of, by removing functionality or ease of use. WHY this is done, will be a question for philosophers to sort out. But it is definitely done. Websites do it, major software companies all do it... And now Tesla has been doing it.

Sometimes it might be by accident, someone just didn't conceive of the usage case XYZ, like making the Supercharger cable ONLY connect to the rear fender, and not conceptualize that a 3 foot cord wouldn't work for anyone with a bike rack on their car or a trailer. Other times it is intentional, like the removal of the Ultrasonic Sensors for (probably cost savings) reasons that we aren't told. But there is NO benefit to the customer from these removals, thus the term applies.

What annoys most of us is that they could have easily just left the sensors on just the driver side doors and skipped the passenger doors. It is mostly used for drivers so they could have left them on there. They left them on the falcon wing doors so they know it is important but they just chose to cut costs dramatically.

With all these downgrading in hardware, the difference between Y and X has become very minimal. Juniper is going to further that gap and would provide even more reason for people to skip X.

What annoys most of us is that they could have easily just left the sensors on just the driver side doors and skipped the passenger doors. It is mostly used for drivers so they could have left them on there. They left them on the falcon wing doors so they know it is important but they just chose to cut costs dramatically.
There were never any sensors on the driver or passenger doors. Case in point: If you parked next to a pole that was by your driver's door, the doors would hit the poll (ask me how I know!) They were relying on the falcon door sensors to detect things such as vehicles. Here is an old YouTube video which explains the falcon wing (only) sensors on the Model X:

• Informative
They were relying on the falcon door sensors to detect things such as vehicles.
I'm pretty sure it used a combo of the falcon sensor and the front lateral bumper sensor to make the determination. Which did still leave a pretty big blind spot as you note. That front lateral sensor is gone on newer cars, so they disabled the self presenting altogether.

• Helpful
Reactions: mborkow and tps5352
There were never any sensors on the driver or passenger doors. Case in point: If you parked next to a pole that was by your driver's door, the doors would hit the poll (ask me how I know!) They were relying on the falcon door sensors to detect things such as vehicles. Here is an old YouTube video which explains the falcon wing (only) sensors on the Model X:..

I'm pretty sure it used a combo of the falcon sensor and the front lateral bumper sensor to make the determination. Which did still leave a pretty big blind spot as you note. That front lateral sensor is gone on newer cars, so they disabled the self presenting altogether.

Hmm. Well, something detects obstructions next to the driver door, because I have a minor battle with my (early 2021 Model X) car almost everyday that I park in front of my house (in the summer) due to 'deadly' sage plants that would apparently rip the driver's door to shreds if it opened fully when I hit the center display open-door button to exit the car. When these plants are full and flowering I have to manually force the door to open enough to let me out. (No damage to door from the plants, afaik, btw.)

Reactions: halfhumble