Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door no longer open fully automatically without USS (ultra-sonic sensors)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or have a flexy material that won't damage anything and itself. I'd like self presenting doors because why not?

Fair enough - that plastic strip at the bottom of the FWD could be made of TPU or EPDM foam.... The edges of the front doors could have that same material.

I just added a strip of black EPDM foam to the sunroof edge of my S to stop a wind noise and water leak in heavy rain, b/c the forward rubber that is permanently bonded to the plastic windshield strip is not formed (or attached) very well.

That EVA looks great and is (bonus) UV stable too. Almost like it was designed to be outdoors sealing the edge of glass objects.

Last edited:
Reactions: chintanchotli
Or have a flexy material that won't damage anything and itself. I'd like self presenting doors because why not?

I certainly did not buy my Model X because of the self-presenting door feature.*

In fact, I don't remember even using it, at first.

Now it is one of my favorite features (except when I am washing the car with the sprayer and forget I have the fob in my pocket). (Better than having a powered frunk hood.) And I am not the only one. Here is a plug for this seemingly unnecessary feature.

Which is why I was concerned when it recently unexpectedly stopped working for me. (Fortunately, mystery was eventually solved and function recovered.)
_____
* Now that I think of it, I kind of bought this particular car in late January 2021 because of a series of "negatives':
  • Didn't want certain Models S & X "Refreshed" features (e.g., yoke).
  • Rivian RS1 wasn't yet available for comparison (and didn't yet have satisfactory range, anyway).
  • Lucid SUV was a doodle on a bar napkin somewhere.
  • No other existing electric SUV seemed either to compare to Tesla's car or be available.
  • Didn't want an ICE car.
  • Didn't want a hybrid car.
  • Honda was recalling (and crushing--shades of the 1990s GM EV!) all its leased hydrogen fuel cell cars.
  • Tesla had just cancelled the planned Model S Plaid Plus (which initially attracted me mostly because of the 500+ mile range.)
  • Most other new "Legacy" Model X had been sold off in late 2020 and early 2021 (in the "lower 48") to prepare for refreshed Model X, which took forever to finally arrive, anyway.
  • Didn't need/want a 7- or 6-seater SUV.
  • Didn't want cream interior, black exterior, or Performance model. (Boy; picky, picky!)
  • Didn't want a used car. (Now, a car with transferable unlimited SC-ing and FSD Beta might be...interesting.)
  • And so forth.
So I was stuck with this car--like getting the last kid to be chosen for sports--because everything else was unavailable or taken, and--no surprise--I love it (except for FWDs)!

BTW, in honor of today's date, a certain portion of this post is tongue-in-cheek. (But I do like the Model X.)

Hope the driver door doen't unexpectedly self-present

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: towndrunk
Fair enough - that plastic strip at the bottom of the FWD could be made of TPU or EVA foam.... The edges of the front doors could have that same material.

I just added a strip of black EVA foam to the sunroof edge of my S to stop a wind noise and water leak in heavy rain, b/c the forward rubber that is permanently bonded to the plastic windshield strip is not formed (or attached) very well.

That EVA looks great and is (bonus) UV stable too. Almost like it was designed to be outdoors sealing the edge of glass objects.
Oh cool. Which one did you use? Link?

Driving around (in ever-increasing Sacramento-area traffic) with a "Classic"/"Legacy version Model X, which I mostly like, I am always thinking, "What if the car was totaled and (a) I survive without a scratch, natch and (b) I have to get a new car. Would I get another X?"

Unfortunately it seems EM (I blame everything on him) is removing, changing, and not adding features I like/want (e.g., loss of SW stalks, self-presenting door feature, powered frunk hood, better batteries, loss of adjustable headrests, etc.) and retaining or adding ones I don't (e.g., FWDs, landscape center touch display, rear touch display, yoke SW (fortunately now an option), lower maximum range, etc.).

On another site I was commenting that if forced to buy a new car I would definitely also look at the Rivian RS1 now, in addition to Model X. (I would have compared the two models in early 2021, but the Rivian SUV was not available, and with larger battery set, at that time.) Maybe I'd look for a low-mileage used X (with transferable unlimited SC-ing!).

All joking aside, the cheapening (my word) of Tesla cars worries me. But this probably happens to most new companies, as after the brand takes off they start looking for ways to maintain/increase profits, cut costs, and please stockholders.

I haven't researched this topic, but are there rumors of a new Model X (or other replacement top-of-the-line Tesla SUV) coming? When? Another game-changer (for all models) will be if Tesla can ever advance FSD into Level 4 or 5. That would be something! Lastly, the new Model 2 (or whatever its called) may be exciting (for the brand). We'll see.

Having owned way too many cars including 4 Teslas, switching to an R1S was the best car decision I have ever made. It has every stalk a car should have. The non-opening doors with a motor that would fight you but never help you on the X was the single most annoying thing I have experienced on a new vehicle.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Having owned way too many cars including 4 Teslas, switching to an R1S was the best car decision I have ever made. It has every stalk a car should have. The non-opening doors with a motor that would fight you but never help you on the X was the single most annoying thing I have experienced on a new vehicle.
The R1S is such a great car, wish I had known about the tax credit on leases before purchasing my new X. The X is still cheaper and being able to transfer FUSC and FSD over was nice, but I really liked the R1S. Looking forward to the R2.

Reactions: rpo
The R1S is such a great car, wish I had known about the tax credit on leases before purchasing my new X. The X is still cheaper and being able to transfer FUSC and FSD over was nice, but I really liked the R1S. Looking forward to the R2.

I had 3 Model S's with roof racks...and putting those on and taking them off was such a pain (which I did not do often, but would occasionally remove them). I just put the roof rack on the R1S...and it took me 3 minutes without even looking at the instructions. They are designed so well. I was very impressed.

This video demoes why I fell in love with model X auto opening doors originally.
But if they now only open a couple inches and you have to fight them and pull them open still, it's just worse now. Regardless of whether it never had its own sensors and was using nearby sensors, the feature has gone backwards.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
There is a huge risk with the auto doors no one is talking about- the motor is not strong enough to withstand a sudden gust of wind blowing it fully open - happened to me today and even with the partial present, the door just flew suddenly wide open and I though it’d rip from the hinges (didn’t help there was also a slight incline). Thankfully no one was parked next and my hinges seemed to have survived. Automatic doors are overrated. I’d swap that feature in favor of the S auto present handle.

There is a huge risk with the auto doors no one is talking about- the motor is not strong enough to withstand a sudden gust of wind blowing it fully open - happened to me today and even with the partial present, the door just flew suddenly wide open and I though it’d rip from the hinges (didn’t help there was also a slight incline). Thankfully no one was parked next and my hinges seemed to have survived. Automatic doors are overrated. I’d swap that feature in favor of the S auto present handle.
I agree 100% with you. This “feature” is right there along with “premium build quality” and “quiet cabin” as far being remotely close to reality 😂

I would also forgo the FWD if given the option. Just regular doors with auto present handles like the S would do.

The auto presenting handles have their own issues.... But I'd put up with those over the nonsense of these powered doors. The Y and the 3 have powered doors too, at least it seemed like that with the loaner I had a couple days ago. Why overcomplicate the cars? Just innovate elsewhere and leave the doors to function like every other vehicle has for the last 100 years. You open the door, you pass through it, you close the door. It works.

Reactions: Yelobird
The auto presenting handles have their own issues.... But I'd put up with those over the nonsense of these powered doors. The Y and the 3 have powered doors too, at least it seemed like that with the loaner I had a couple days ago. Why overcomplicate the cars? Just innovate elsewhere and leave the doors to function like every other vehicle has for the last 100 years. You open the door, you pass through it, you close the door. It works.
3/Y don’t have power doors. The latch is electronic, but there’s nothing to push / pull the door.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and geordi