Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door reopening when walking away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody has that issue?
You close the driver's door, start walking away, and it cracks open almost immediately.
This does not happen all the time. But now it forces me to stay away from the car to make sure the mirrors will fold and the car will lock. Annoying...

Does anybody has that issue?
You close the driver's door, start walking away, and it cracks open almost immediately.
This does not happen all the time. But now it forces me to stay away from the car to make sure the mirrors will fold and the car will lock. Annoying...
Same for me, very intermittant but also the auto open only works when you come from the front toward the drivers door. If you come from the rear of the car it never auto opens.

Same here. I’ve come out on two occasions and the driver’s door is open slightly. Seems like it has done it when I close the door manually and walk away toward the front of the vehicle. My guarantee has been a triple tap of the top center button on the keyfob. This ensures the doors are all closed and causes the feature that opens on approach to disable momentarily giving me time to get away.

Key fob in the pocket has definitely been an issue. My Dad called me this morning stating that his FWD opened unexpectedly when he was standing outside of his Model X. His solution is to start carrying his key in a different pocket. I do not believe these unintended openings are a result of defective sensors or hardware. The automatic opening doors on MX are unique and do take some getting used to. For example, if you have the automatic door feature activated, you learn to avoid walking past the driver's side when you simply want to walk past the vehicle. Otherwise, by design, you are greeted with an open door each time. Once you experience and master the use of these doors, however, you really feel like something is wrong when you drive a car that doesn't have the feature.

Last edited:
After almost 2 years of ownership, this just started happening to me last month (3 incidences so far) after the recent OTA update (4.1). This appears to be the exact same thing that happened to Elon Musk on stage at the Model-X reveal in Sept 2015. Feels like an old bug. I'm sure it'll get fixed in an upcoming OTA update.