Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite disappointing Tesla is not getting rid of this problem after such a long development time.

Yes, because those are all delivered production vehicles.. right? And what about those missing center caps?! I can't believe after all this time they can't get center caps on the wheels.

I haven't reached the same conclusion you have. I will reserve my criticism for when I see a fleet of customer vehicles. If they have falcon wing door alignment issues, I'll have something to say about it. At this point, I think it's quite premature.

Yes, because those are all delivered production vehicles.. right? And what about those missing center caps?! I can't believe after all this time they can't get center caps on the wheels.

I haven't reached the same conclusion you have. I will reserve my criticism for when I see a fleet of customer vehicles. If they have falcon wing door alignment issues, I'll have something to say about it. At this point, I think it's quite premature.

We all know it took longer to get the wood paneled wheel center caps.

Not sure if this is already listed somewhere as a "known fact" but the service centre told me that they are getting rid of the presenting door handles on the X due to so many issues with them on the S. Perhaps just manual pop-out handles (mechanical rather than electrical)?

I wouldn't be opposed to that, though, when they work, they're great.

Also, if true, let's hope the falcon doors don't become the next pet project of Elon's that ends up problematic and removed.

Not sure if this is already listed somewhere as a "known fact" but the service centre told me that they are getting rid of the presenting door handles on the X due to so many issues with them on the S. Perhaps just manual pop-out handles (mechanical rather than electrical)?

Auto presenting handles are only on the front doors. Falcon doors have a touch only sensor as it makes no sense to have recessed handles on doors that are electrically actuated.

Perhaps the service centre was mistaken with their statement. We've known for some time the Falcon doors would not have the usual presenting door handles.

we would buy two of the X models - we are looking for AWD SUV for mountain conditions...however the gullwing concept, although beautiful, is a no goer. Need the roof for bikes, kayaks, skis etc. Now if the X had sliding doors, at least one would have been ordered already and a debate would have been on whether to trade in the S and get another X or not!!! :(

we would buy two of the X models - we are looking for AWD SUV for mountain conditions...however the gullwing concept, although beautiful, is a no goer. Need the roof for bikes, kayaks, skis etc. Now if the X had sliding doors, at least one would have been ordered already and a debate would have been on whether to trade in the S and get another X or not!!! :(

I do not know if they ship to Switzerland, but you might check out the sylvan go:
SylvanSport GO | Lightweight, Small Pop Up Campers - Camping Trailer

This new video also shows that the falcon wing doors open indivually (was to be expected, but anyway) - why can´t you put a roof rack/box at least on one side of the car and leave that door closed? Disabling one door in that case should be a simple software update. Maybe the windshield extending so far back is in the way, no place to fix the rack?

This new video also shows that the falcon wing doors open indivually (was to be expected, but anyway) - why can´t you put a roof rack/box at least on one side of the car and leave that door closed? Disabling one door in that case should be a simple software update. Maybe the windshield extending so far back is in the way, no place to fix the rack?

This has been discussed many times over the past couple of years. Personally I doubt we will see this at least for the immediate future. Long term it's anybody's guess, but once we have a real good look at the roof we may have a better idea whether the design of the room and falcon wing doors even allow for a rack on one side or not.

This concerns me that he has to push in manually at the bottom of the falcon wing door get it to completely close. I would think that after all the research and engineering that went into these doors the door would automatically close and latch without any manual intervention. You can also see the top of the falcon wing door is slightly raised above the roofline on both sides. The top of each door should be flat as possible to maintain the ascetics of the roofline. Hopefully the finished product quality control is better and this is only a prototype.

No More Stuffing Junk in the Doors (Everything will fall out when they open)

My daughter brought up a good point while we were watching videos of the falcon doors. She said, "Everything's going to fall out :scared:". I wonder if there will be pockets in the doors (like your typical mini-van or SUV). I wonder what the plan is for storage in the doors (if any) and in the car in general. I'm hoping for more cup holders and possibly outlets for chargers.