Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Features Missing from Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
My wife has a Model X and we sold her Model S. Currently there are many features standard on the Model X that are missing from the Model S. The price delta is relatively small, but I hate the FWD of the Model X. I have a Model S on order for November delivery and my hope is that many of the missing features will make their way into the Model S before then:

1. Ventilated seats
2. Adjustable shoulder straps for the front seat belts
3. Adjustable headrests
4. Door pockets
5. Automatic door open/close
6. Powered rear seat fold-down

Anything else missing? Seems to me that these features should quickly make their way into the Model S since they are priced nearly the same.

#2, and #3 would be really awesome and I consider both of those to be rather significant omissions on the part of Tesla. The shoulder straps don't bug me, but there have been times where friends complained about it when traveling with me.

The Model X doesn't have what I'd consider to be true ventilated/cooled seats, but perhaps anything helps. So I certainly wouldn't mind having this if it was a reasonable cost adder.

#5 I'd consider to be dangerous and not worth the added risk. I think Tesla needs to concentrate on making things less complicated, and not more complicated. It's bad enough that we've had people complaining about door handles closing on their fingers, but with doors we'd have people have doors closing on their fingers.

#6 makes sense the X, but not the S.

Personally what I really hope the S gets is next gen seats by default. With the X you can get good seats by default, but for the S you have to pay and arm and a leg for them.

I'll likely migrate to the Model 3 since it's more my size, but I have grown accustomed to the Model S and laughing about how much space there is. No one realizes it's a giant spaceship.

Reactions: SSD420
I do think all those things, or at least most, will find its way into the S eventually. The real question is when.

#1-3 As soon as the supplier deal for the old seats is over. Maybe not the adjustable shoulder straps, not too sure about them.

#4-5 I am not sure how the self opening doors are implemented, but I guess its a part of the actual door, that opens it, so they might introduce that alongside with door pockets. They might have to do some redesigning the doors, but it will add value, so they will do it. The benefit of an EV is that you have easy access to power, which is a lot more complicated in an ICE. It will add complexity, but it will be another option that lots of Tesla owners will want to spend money for. It just adds to the feeling of an autonomous and high tech car.

#6 might never happen for the Model S as it is now, because it doesn't add too much value to the car, in my opinion, and there is already limited headroom in the backseats. So only if they can do it without compromising headroom and if they fell that they add real value, that people will pay for.

Its a actually a clever idea that they didn't include all of that into the facelift, the old model doesn't loose as much value and you can keep the interest level high. I do think they will, with the Model 3 coming, want to improve the premium features on the S, so they won't have to reduce the price. They might include some of todays options as standard, like they did with part of the former tech package, but add new options for those who want so spend some money.

Tesla is in the process of merging the two cars as much as possible to streamline the supply chain. From eyeballing the doors in pictures, it looks like the inner door panels for the X will fit on the S, though it's possible the X door is a bit different, the overall door is taller. I don't now if powered seat fold down will make it because the 3rd row seats are different from the back seats in the S. I'm also not sure the X seats will make it as the X seats may be taller. We need to get someone who has both an X and S to compare the dimensions of these parts.

I expect everything that can be ported over will be over time and the reason they haven't done it yet is they are burning through supplies of the old parts for the S and they will be changing over to the X parts as they run out of old S parts.

I don't know if the presenting doors will become an S item, but I can see the door handles. The handles on the X are a simpler mechanism and less likely to break.

One thing you missed was the windshield washers. The X has the sprayers integrated into the wiper arm. I expect that will be moving to the S eventually too.

Anything else missing?
The ultra white non-leather seat option.

Like you, I also have a delayed delivery S on order, in hope that a few of these are also added to the S. Mine is only delayed until October but I could push it out a few more months.

I think 1-4 would be nice to have. I don't really think I would ever use the automatic owning doors. Also, I don't really think power folding rear seats are necessary as there are cheaper and less complicated ways of folding down the rear seats. Look at the newer Honda CR-V and the rear seats fold down like magic.

Last edited:
The ultra white non-leather seat option.

Like you, I also have a delayed delivery S on order, in hope that a few of these are also added to the S. Mine is only delayed until October but I could push it out a few more months.

I think 1-4 would be nice to have. I don't really think I would ever use the automatic owning doors. Also, I don't really think power folding rear seats are necessary as there are cheaper and less complicated ways of folding down the rear seats. Look at the newer Honda CR-V and the rear seats fold down like magic.

Do you mind if I ask what is the point of ordering now but delaying it to October? Is there any advantage?

I have a Model S on order for November delivery and my hope is that many of the missing features will make their way into the Model S before then:
You are setting yourself up for disappointment based on your hope for changes to the S. SInce Tesla does not announce changes to their cars in advance, there is no way to know with any certainty when, if ever, any of those changes will be made to the S.

Do you mind if I ask what is the point of ordering now but delaying it to October? Is there any advantage?

I ordered April 9th, right before the refresh was announced on the 12th so I am locked in at the old prices. If new features are added to existing packages then I will receive them as part of my build and save $1500 off the current price.

I ordered April 9th, right before the refresh was announced on the 12th so I am locked in at the old prices. If new features are added to existing packages then I will receive them as part of my build and save $1500 off the current price.
But I suppose that is only applicable to standard equipment.If they propose a new option like white seats, you may not able to choose it without price change.

Reactions: Tanquen
#2, and #3 would be really awesome and I consider both of those to be rather significant omissions on the part of Tesla. The shoulder straps don't bug me, but there have been times where friends complained about it when traveling with me.

The Model X doesn't have what I'd consider to be true ventilated/cooled seats, but perhaps anything helps. So I certainly wouldn't mind having this if it was a reasonable cost adder.

#5 I'd consider to be dangerous and not worth the added risk. I think Tesla needs to concentrate on making things less complicated, and not more complicated. It's bad enough that we've had people complaining about door handles closing on their fingers, but with doors we'd have people have doors closing on their fingers.

Personally what I really hope the S gets is next gen seats by default. With the X you can get good seats by default, but for the S you have to pay and arm and a leg for them.

I'll likely migrate to the Model 3 since it's more my size, but I have grown accustomed to the Model S and laughing about how much space there is. No one realizes it's a giant spaceship.

Concerning the Next Gen seats:
I have a 2014 S-P85D with Next Gen seats, but when I sat in a Model X a few days ago, I was blown away by how much more comfortable the Model X's driver's seat is than my Model S's Next Gen driver's seat. If I could get the Model X's driver's seat for my Model S, I would.

Anything else missing? Seems to me that these features should quickly make their way into the Model S since they are priced nearly the same.

I'm not quite sure where you draw the line for migratable and not. There are some obvious huge features missing from the list (massive windshield, Falcon Wing doors) that are unlikely to ever be a part of the S (and probably weren't included on that basis,) but other things might be possible but probably won't migrate - power reclining rear seats, seat integrated rear belts, B pillar air vents.

You also left out the rear cup holders.
Does the S have rear seat USB ports? (The X has them for all three rows.)
From the surprise/excitement in the videos, I'm guessing the S dome light isn't touch sensitive at the light housing in multiple zones like the X?
The X has wet wiper arms (meaning the washer fluid is pumped up the arm and dispensed from there, rather than from jets at the rear of the hood like the S.)
The X has separate controls for the rear seat HVAC (three zones rather than two.)

Personally, I would not hold out hope for many, or possibly any, of those in this year. The "refresh" of this year was the first major change in the Model S body design, and you see what that has. It is very limited in changes to the basic architecture. Features like power doors would be major changes to the architecture. I would think another refresh of Model S major enough for your list is probably years away. Just my guess.

But I suppose that is only applicable to standard equipment.If they propose a new option like white seats, you may not able to choose it without price change.
Yes, exactly. If they were to add something new then I'd have to pay $1500 for the new price book and $500 to change my existing order plus the cost of any new options. If they were to add something like ventilated seats to the premium package then that would be included and probably wouldn't incur any additional charges.

If a new battery option is added then they would just charge for the new battery upgrade and no price book or order change fee.

I'm not quite sure where you draw the line for migratable and not. There are some obvious huge features missing from the list (massive windshield, Falcon Wing doors) that are unlikely to ever be a part of the S (and probably weren't included on that basis,) but other things might be possible but probably won't migrate - power reclining rear seats, seat integrated rear belts, B pillar air vents.

You also left out the rear cup holders.
Does the S have rear seat USB ports? (The X has them for all three rows.)
From the surprise/excitement in the videos, I'm guessing the S dome light isn't touch sensitive at the light housing in multiple zones like the X?

The MS doesnt have a dome light as such, but rather individual "spot light" LEDs, which can be manually activated by pressing them (physical switch).

I placed my order now with delay for new features as I don't need to replace my Leaf until the ski season hits. Now seemed like a great time as I get a 75KW battery for a 70KW price so I can charge to 100% and never really hit that. This should make the battery last longer.

Reactions: Tanquen
Some of the features are inherent to the model X... but here are a few more.
Items others have mentioned:
  • white seats
  • nicer seats
  • rear usb and cup holders
  • door pockets
  • towing as a factory option
and other items I haven't seen mentioned:
  • adjustable middle row seating (tilt, forward/back)
  • middle row seats actually fit booster seats well
  • space under middle row
  • sensors on the rear doors so the kids don't hit the car next to it
  • can close all doors from the console
  • wiper blades have built in water/soap release (not a nozzle spraying)
  • heated wiper blades (or is that in the S also)?
  • more rear AC vents with independent control (only works with adults in the back)
  • 12v power in the front works when the car is off (which isn't true at least in my S).
  • 12v outlet in the back
  • tinted rear windows
inherent to the X:
  • sits higher
  • (slightly) more cargo volume
  • fits more adults
the S still has some advantages:
  • sunroof
  • roof rack capable (easily)
  • middle row folds flat
  • cheaper
  • more efficient
  • (older models) driver seat pouch
  • rear hatch opens better than X when garage has limited height.

Reactions: wdolson and Reeler