Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny how this review keeps getting recycled on different websites which I hate cause you think its a new review then realize you read it a while ago. Looking to see how the reviews progress with production and quality.

I agree quality will improve with time just as it did with the Model S, but I should point out this review is only 8 days old.

The "EverydayDriver" guys don't provide much insight, in my opinion. They really fail to grasp the advantage of the Falcon Wings regarding second and third row ease of access and how the roof cutout makes it much easier to get in and out compared to any other car with three rows of seats (to say nothing of how much easier it is to deal with kids in child seats, by all reports).
The TFLcar video offers very little real content.

Last edited:
Maxim Magazine Review

DRIVE REVIEW: 'SOFT-ROADING' IN TESLA'S NEW MODEL X SUV

"
The Model X is an SUV, so I was obligated to take it off-road. Suburban carpool shuttles like the Model X aren't meant for bashing dunes in Baja or rock crawling at Moab, but customers do want to know they can reach their cabin in the summer.

For this kind of "soft-roading," the Model X proved competent and even confidence-inspiring rolling along a seldom-used grassy two-track trail and even maneuvering through taller wet grass an boggy soil, even with its low-profile, street-oriented Goodyears
."

Last edited:
Six months after the reveal in Sept 2015, MotorTrend, the magazine that rated the 2013 Model S their Car Of the Year, finally releases the first truly in-depth review of the Tesla Model X, buried beneath the flash and shock of the Model 3 reveal last week. (2016 Tesla Model X P90D Ludicrous First Test Review - Motor Trend)

It's not a bad review (where are Car and Driver, Road and Track, et al?), but it's written from a gimmick/not gimmick perspective regarding those unique Model X features debated on this and other forums. It also mentions the buggy falcon wings. You'd think Tesla would get MT a perfect specimen, if there is such a vehicle. Below are some interesting quotes:

"The X is, of course, a tall, bulbous version of the Model S sedan—Motor Trend’s 2013 Car of the Year—with all that entails. Specifically, brilliant packaging, a perfect ride and handling balance, incredibly forward-thinking touches, and mediocre build quality. Oh, and absolutely incredulous speed."

"The big shame there is that the vehicle lurking in the shadow of those doors is so good that Elon’s ego has cost the world a year and a half of pleasure living with what could possibly be the best people-mover extant."

"No discussion of Tesla’s in-car tech is complete without mentioning Autopilot, which is a full decade ahead of most other semi-autonomous driver’s aids. If not two decades.
"

Their Speed times are a tenth slower than DragTimes' 0-60 of 3.1 and 1/4 mile of 11.61.

So, MotorTrend has Instagram photos of their time with their Model X loaner and this review is followed by another for the Bentley Bentayga (dubbed the fastest/quickest gas-burning SUV) and have teased a drag race between the two as they tested them both on the same day. I believe they also had something to do with the Model X towing/dragging the Alfa Romeo 4c - Earth's Automotive Authority on Instagram: “What's faster? An @AlfaRomeo #4C or an @AlfaRomeo #4C... being towed by a @teslamotors #ModelX #P90D #ludicrous? @jasoncammisa” - so that story might also pop up sometime.

Reactions: spottyq
The overall conclusion, though, is extremely positive. Here's the quote, with added emphasis by me:

the Model X, like its sedan sibling, is such a well-done piece of machinery that it makes you look at all other cars as if they’ve come straight out of the past. It’d be a better SUV without the falcon doors, the monopost seats, and the windshield, but as it sits now, the Model X is one hell of a people hauler.​