Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Founder Series - Facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies as this may have been covered already:

1. What is the criteria for getting selected to move up to founders?

2. Seems like a good deal if you pay the price of a p90d and can get all the options for free? Assuming you planned on getting a similarly configured X anyway?

Apologies as this may have been covered already:

1. What is the criteria for getting selected to move up to founders?

2. Seems like a good deal if you pay the price of a p90d and can get all the options for free? Assuming you planned on getting a similarly configured X anyway?

You have to be invited - typically Founders are offered to Tesla execs, board members, major investors. Not that many are made.

With the X, they also offered the opportunity to buy a Founders to those who reached ten or more qualified referrals that resulted in the purchase of Model S.

And yes, it's a great deal. Plus it's highly collectible, due to the limited number made.

• Love
Reactions: chdavis
You have to be invited - typically Founders are offered to Tesla execs, board members, major investors. Not that many are made.

With the X, they also offered the opportunity to buy a Founders to those who reached ten or more qualified referrals that resulted in the purchase of Model S.

And yes, it's a great deal. Plus it's highly collectible, due to the limited number made.

Thanks Bonnie!

Call me skeptical. Why would Tesla reach out to any production reservation holder to see if they wanted to buy a Founders now? Based on the fact that Founders are major contributors to Tesla and the product at hand, there is simply no reason. If that were the case, wouldn't we all be getting a call running from reservation holder #1 through last, with the simple question... Are you willing to pay cash in full now?
I have my financing in place and can have money to Tesla the same business day. Guess I should expect a call?

Call me skeptical. Why would Tesla reach out to any production reservation holder to see if they wanted to buy a Founders now? Based on the fact that Founders are major contributors to Tesla and the product at hand, there is simply no reason. If that were the case, wouldn't we all be getting a call running from reservation holder #1 through last, with the simple question... Are you willing to pay cash in full now?
I have my financing in place and can have money to Tesla the same business day. Guess I should expect a call?

It was one of the referral incentive prizes, mz - they're not reaching out randomly to offer a Founders. "Those who make ten referrals will get the right to purchase a fully loaded Founders Series Model X..."

referral program oct 31 2015.png

Last edited:
Anyone outside the US that got information?

So far, price is P90D, we dont know the exact price. All options included and that includes 22" rims, any color and Ludicrous. Guess wintertyres are extra?

Could we trade in the Powerwall? ( very stable and cheap electricity here, little use for it..)

Anyone outside the US that got information?

So far, price is P90D, we dont know the exact price. All options included and that includes 22" rims, any color and Ludicrous. Guess wintertyres are extra?

Could we trade in the Powerwall? ( very stable and cheap electricity here, little use for it..)

Yes, I'm in Canada and I got the call yesterday!

He said that Tesla is very grateful of those who locked referrals and that we would «step in» the production line very quickly. I also reminded him that I'm located in Canada and asked him if they had already solved Transport Canada certification issues. He said that for the very limited Founder's Edition they don't have to go through the regular certification channel.

I'm sceptical, but what the heck ... I will configure as quickly as possible and see what happens!

Following your feeds - thanks. No call yet in the EU, Denmark.

However founder-X production in 2015 sounds pretty interesting given the taxes we get on ev's from 2016. Fly it to the eu then and I will pick it up my self in Tilburg holland asap.... (Other good ideas how to get it to DK in 2015 are appreciated)

I may have missed it somewhere .... is there a total worldwide of people eligible for the 10+ referral Model X Founders Edition? Just curious the leader board disappeared the next day. Bonnie made the excellent point that these are very limited and valuable versions as are the Roadsters ..... how limited including the original ones run? I'm going to buy the dang thing anyway .... how can we not ... :)

Will Tesla give you an air freight option? Some of the European car makers will do that for the US.

Following your feeds - thanks. No call yet in the EU, Denmark.

However founder-X production in 2015 sounds pretty interesting given the taxes we get on ev's from 2016. Fly it to the eu then and I will pick it up my self in Tilburg holland asap.... (Other good ideas how to get it to DK in 2015 are appreciated)

Will Tesla give you an air freight option? Some of the European car makers will do that for the US.

Great input. It has to go via Tilburg holland separated in "parts" to avoid import tax from the us. However if needed I can pay the air fare from Fremont to Tilburg. Have Tilburg to put it together and test - then fly down to Tilburg from Copenhagen and make it home before new year. That should be possible.... Wow that's a great input donv. Thanks :)

Just like a Signature. When the series is done, it's done. If they can be made anytime, it starts to devalue. (Roadster owners watch the total number decline weekly ...)

I'd be willing to bet that none of us will take delivery of a Founders in 2015 (much less to Denmark). Founders can be made at any time - it's the VIN that sets it apart, plus some badging. If taking advantage of the tax window is important, than I'd buy a Model S now - and perhaps trade it in on the X. But I think it's highly unlikely that you'll see a Founders X in time to take advantage. Sorry ...

I'm also figuring the 'contact in two weeks' is a rough estimate. There are multiple inside sales folks - if they split it up & then all send out an email after 14 days saying 'what's a good time to talk?', then it's pretty easy to do.

I'm confused by your quotes above (bolding is mine). Do they not completely contradict each other? Either Founders X's can be made anytime, or they can not.

I'm confused by your quotes above (bolding is mine). Do they not completely contradict each other? Either Founders X's can be made anytime, or they can not.

Context matters :). The first quote, I was talking about if series are indefinitely open or not. The second quote, I was talking about manufacturing order. I should have been more clear on the second quote - I didn't mean to imply 'forever'. While logically they can be made at any time, with the VIN that sets it apart, they don't do that. It made sense as a prize, but I didn't mean to imply that they keep making them indefinitely. I suspect that we will be required to configure and confirm before the last worldwide Signature goes out the door (Sig Red paint will then be retired).

A Signature could also be made at any time. The point is that when they end a series, it should stay 'ended'. Otherwise it loses that potential collectible status.