Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Founder Series - Facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I heard back from my DS. Unfortunately, the news is disappointing; Tesla is going to list the MSRP for the the FbR cars as 132k, and then add the cost of the options you select at standard pricing. This will be the selling price, and all taxes and registration fees will be based on this amount. A referral program credit will then be applied, equal to an amount to leave the remaining balance as 116,700 including the $1200 doc and transport fee.

I provided feedback to my DS to pass up the food chain that it was a disappointing outcome, and imho, Tesla could have done a better job thinking through how these transactions would be accounted for before they announced the referral program, and provided better transparency via the program's terms and conditions. While inadvertent, Tesla needlessly soured the experience for some of its' most prolific supporters.

Telsa is funny in that it harnesses it's influencer community in a referral program like this, but then treats them roughly. I was pissed that I couldn't use my $17K in referral credit on almost anything except a new Model S. HELLO TESLA, I already have a Model S and just qualified for a FbR Model X so why design a program that can only be used with purchase of yet another car!!!!! But even after elevation to Ian, Project Manager for NA, the final answer was that referral credit could only be used on one car, the Model S. Silly that they should even care where the credit was used, but I will soon own three Teslas.

The influencer community is used to being pampered a bit and certainly treated with respect. How do you think we are able to sell so many cars for Tesla? Folks respect our opinions.

Tesla however could care less about us after they get they get our referrals. If I were cynical, I would say that this was by design as participation in the referral program got me buying two more cars from them at prices above their cost. Nice to have an incentive program that makes money off your influencer salesforce.

It's funny, but on the official forum a winner of a new Model S under the program was not going to pick-up his car after going through the unfavorable tax positioning of Tesla. He said Tesla fixed the problem and that thread quickly disappeared. Pretty embarrassing when you have a referral program where the winner doesn't even want first prize!

Telsa is funny in that it harnesses it's influencer community in a referral program like this, but then treats them roughly. I was pissed that I couldn't use my $17K in referral credit on almost anything except a new Model S. HELLO TESLA, I already have a Model S and just qualified for a FbR Model X so why design a program that can only be used with purchase of yet another car!!!!! But even after elevation to Ian, Project Manager for NA, the final answer was that referral credit could only be used on one car, the Model S. Silly that they should even care where the credit was used, but I will soon own three Teslas.

The influencer community is used to being pampered a bit and certainly treated with respect. How do you think we are able to sell so many cars for Tesla? Folks respect our opinions.

Tesla however could care less about us after they get they get our referrals. If I were cynical, I would say that this was by design as participation in the referral program got me buying two more cars from them at prices above their cost. Nice to have an incentive program that makes money off your influencer salesforce.

It's funny, but on the official forum a winner of a new Model S under the program was not going to pick-up his car after going through the unfavorable tax positioning of Tesla. He said Tesla fixed the problem and that thread quickly disappeared. Pretty embarrassing when you have a referral program where the winner doesn't even want first prize!

So you receive a free Powerwall w/installation, $17k in credits, and a substantially discounted fully loaded Model X. I can see why you're so unhappy.

Was it originally unclear? Yep. Do I still feel like I've received a great deal? Yes, HELL yes. I honestly don't understand all this complaining.

So you receive a free Powerwall w/installation, $17k in credits, and a substantially discounted fully loaded Model X. I can see why you're so unhappy.

Was it originally unclear? Yep. Do I still feel like I've received a great deal? Yes, HELL yes. I honestly don't understand all this complaining.

Ditto Bonnie although t would have been nice to use referral dollars towards X purchase!

Ditto Bonnie although t would have been nice to use referral dollars towards X purchase!

All good perks, but it requires spending $200K to fully benefit from them. If they allowed applying the credits for the Model X, I would only have to spend $100K to use the benefit. I typically pay cash for cars so YES spending $200K somewhat unexpectedly is a PITA.

My main complaint in line with others is that Tesla lacks empathy toward their most ardent supporters who are helping them tremendously with their sales efforts. How hard would it be to just call the referral credit a discount on MSRP so that extra tax is not owed? Why not allow the credit to be applied to Model X? Why not allow the credit to be used on a service contract or online merchandise?

They promised "to be fair and reasonable" and in my opinion that is lip service. Sure I appreciate the program, but their complete inflexibility is inconsistent with their terms and the brand generally.

All good perks, but it requires spending $200K to fully benefit from them. If they allowed applying the credits for the Model X, I would only have to spend $100K to use the benefit. I typically pay cash for cars so YES spending $200K somewhat unexpectedly is a PITA.

Wait, huh? It will cost you $200k unless you can use your $17k to reduce it to $100k? I'm having a hard time making sense of that, because math.

Wait, huh? It will cost you $200k unless you can use your $17k to reduce it to $100k? I'm having a hard time making sense of that, because math.

We own a Model S. That is how one qualifies for the referral program. Once they lifted the limit of 10 referrals, many accumulated large amounts of credit that will expire in 12 months. I don't need a charging station or rims, so if I added up every accessory possible for my Model S, I get to $4500 of possible spend. So there is no way to spend that money without buying another car.

Great, I get a FbR Model X at my level of referrals so problem solved, but NO use on the purchase of a Model X is not allowed although unclear in the terms of the program. $115K to buy the Model X, plus extra tax so I am at $120K. Even if I bought accessories for that, I still cannot burn the $17K. So I am buying another Model S for $80K or so.

Now, we might sell the car we like the least or use one for my business. Not sure, but my situation is pretty typical for the best participants in the program.

- - - Updated - - -

Others are doing hokey things like buying adapters, rims, etc. and reselling them to recoup some cash. I'm sorry, there should be logical ways to spend the benefit of a good referral program without resorting to buying two cars or setting up a store on eBay.

We own a Model S. That is how one qualifies for the referral program. Once they lifted the limit of 10 referrals, many accumulated large amounts of credit that will expire in 12 months. I don't need a charging station or rims, so if I added up every accessory possible for my Model S, I get to $4500 of possible spend. So there is no way to spend that money without buying another car.

Great, I get a FbR Model X at my level of referrals so problem solved, but NO use on the purchase of a Model X is not allowed although unclear in the terms of the program. $115K to buy the Model X, plus extra tax so I am at $120K. Even if I bought accessories for that, I still cannot burn the $17K. So I am buying another Model S for $80K or so.

Now, we might sell the car we like the least or use one for my business. Not sure, but my situation is pretty typical for the best participants in the program.

Actually, one qualifies for the referral program if they own ANY Tesla vehicle (Roadster or S), or have configured/confirmed a reservation for S or X.

I guess I would have bought the new S using credits & flipped it for a profit. Then I'd take that same money and apply towards the X. Or another option would have been to trade in the existing S, use your credits, and upgrade the car. You also end up with the $7500 tax credit. But doesn't matter -- no matter what scenario it is, it doesn't end up costing you $100k if you can't apply your $17k credit to an X.

I *only* have $13k in credits. And I'm not worried about how to spend it ... chademo, extended warranty, HPWC, service plan, set of winter tires.

You clearly feel like you were done wrong & I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm thrilled over how it turned out, personally. That's why I don't get why you're upset.

Actually, one qualifies for the referral program if they own ANY Tesla vehicle (Roadster or S), or have configured/confirmed a reservation for S or X.

I guess I would have bought the new S using credits & flipped it for a profit. Then I'd take that same money and apply towards the X. Or another option would have been to trade in the existing S, use your credits, and upgrade the car. You also end up with the $7500 tax credit. But doesn't matter -- no matter what scenario it is, it doesn't end up costing you $100k if you can't apply your $17k credit to an X.

I *only* have $13k in credits. And I'm not worried about how to spend it ... chademo, extended warranty, HPWC, service plan, set of winter tires.

You clearly feel like you were done wrong & I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm thrilled over how it turned out, personally. That's why I don't get why you're upset.

The second program was opened to reservation holders, not the first one. None-the-less, the participant has a car already.

Yes, flipping a car could be done, but the Federal and my state tax break does not allow that do be done and claim the credit.

I believe you cannot use the credit on the service plan. Go through the math and with a single car, you cannot spend $13K with Tesla. Now I think you have more than one Tesla so it might be possible. If not, plan on flipping product on eBay or whatever.

But, that is all besides the point. Tesla should have a little flexibility, especially were the program was ambiguous, and they promised to be fair and reasonable.