Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front doors Damage. Defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lighting was just right yesterday when I park in my garage that I saw a mirror reflection on the car. Then to freakout when I saw huge distortion in front driver door. First though was someone hit it in parking lot, but when closer review the dents are pushed outward not inwards. Something inside door push out? Out of curiosity I looked at the other side to discover same damage in same place on passenger side too. All though it was less severe then the driver side. The fact that it is in same place on both doors and the damage is pressing outwards. It tells me that it's something to do with car and not someone hitting or denting the doors.

Damage is ~13 inches over from front fender/door seem and ~3 inches down from mid door body line. It is in about same spot on both sides of car.

Please Model X owners check their cars out to see if theirs has same issue. I have already informed Tesla of my finding and have an appointment next week.

My Model X has ~16K on it. It is a 2016 Model X P90DL multi layer pearl white.

Photos of dents are hard to take in photo form. Here some that show the distortion. Look at pole in background. One photo for reference of what pole normally looks like vs distortion in door skin.
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6771.JPG
IMG_6770.JPG
IMG_6769.JPG

This is what happens when you keep your vehicle too clean. A layer of grime would hide that dent in no time. :cool:

More seriously, I'll check my door and let you know what I see...

--Update--
I don't see any aberrations on my door. Curious, can you feel the bulges with your hand? I'll wash my vehicle this weekend and see if that brings out any "bulges"

Last edited:
shadowing shows how they are dented outwards not inwards. Same place on both front doors. The question lies with what in there on the door and was is it pressing against the door skin. View attachment 216730 View attachment 216731

Holy crap. Now THAT'S unusual. I wonder what's happening there, especially that you said it's on both front doors. If this is a production issue and if it affects the entire model x line than this will be HUGE. If it is related to your car only, Tesla will make it right and replace both front doors. Make sure that alignment and color matching (esp with pearl white) is achieved and if not, complain and complain and complain until it is resolved...

Might want to be careful, there is an alien from another dimension trying to pass through :p

Seriously though, that is weird. Definitely not normal. Take it to the service center and have them remove the inner panel to see what is going on. Let us know what you find.

I had a similar issue on my passenger side door. I think this was caused by Tesla trying to fix the door rattle issue that I had reported. I noticed the bump long after the car was serviced. But, Tesla took care of it. My car was in service for a week or so and I was given a MX loaner. So no complaints.

I had a similar issue on my passenger side door. I think this was caused by Tesla trying to fix the door rattle issue that I had reported. I noticed the bump long after the car was serviced. But, Tesla took care of it. My car was in service for a week or so and I was given a MX loaner. So no complaints.

Yeah, interesting. Was anything done to repair your door at any time, @GSD Rides? Looks like dents from the inside.

Have you noticed any sounds like, say, from a squirrel trapped in your door? :p

Model X is in the service center. They were left scratching their heads when they saw it. They were confused as I was of how the dents where pushing outwards. They are currently looking into it. Blizzard here in Massachusetts lost a day. So I'll give an update here once they give me word of their findings.