Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost of UL certification is negligible? Really?

As was pointed out, there would have to be a cooling system, whether installed indoors or outdoors. (Listen to the fans going when charging outdoors in 40 degree (104 F) weather...)

I think you're waving away some rather significant costs.

for small electronic devices like desktop computers and TVs, it's under $10K. This is a little bigger, but not all that much, and all the components are already certified in other contexts, including the cooling system. they need to be tested in their new configuration and UL will probably require a few units for destructive testing (what happens if a big truck runs over it?), which will probably end up being most of the cost...especially if something does go wrong the first time out.

Here's a thought that ties in to the "2 new features that the Model X has that will surprise you"...

Those of us in the EV motorcycle world are familiar with one of the early legends of the electric motorcycle world (Terry Hershner) who bought one of the first Zero Motorcycles that came with the capability to add additional external chargers. He built up his motorcycle with a fairing and added chargers lining the fairing so that he could eventually use up to 2 standard J1772 chargers for a total of 14kW of charging (and later up to 4 for 24kW of charging). It allowed him to set a number of world records that you can read about on the Wikipedia page I linked to above.

Some of the mule shots showed that the X might have an extra charge port on the passenger side. Most of the common EVSEs top out at 7.2kW. One of them doesn't quite max out the standard 10kW charger in the S, but 2 of them would be too much for it. If the X has a 60A charger for a total of 15kW then it could charge off of 2 standard EV plugs at their full 14.4kW output - Terry style.

So, one of the "hidden features" is the ability to plug it in to 2 J1772 EVSE chargers (one on each side) for a total of 14.4kW of charging at standard J1772 charging stations... ;)

Here's a thought that ties in to the "2 new features that the Model X has that will surprise you"...

Those of us in the EV motorcycle world are familiar with one of the early legends of the electric motorcycle world (Terry Hershner) who bought one of the first Zero Motorcycles that came with the capability to add additional external chargers. He built up his motorcycle with a fairing and added chargers lining the fairing so that he could eventually use up to 2 standard J1772 chargers for a total of 14kW of charging (and later up to 4 for 24kW of charging). It allowed him to set a number of world records that you can read about on the Wikipedia page I linked to above.

Some of the mule shots showed that the X might have an extra charge port on the passenger side. Most of the common EVSEs top out at 7.2kW. One of them doesn't quite max out the standard 10kW charger in the S, but 2 of them would be too much for it. If the X has a 60A charger for a total of 15kW then it could charge off of 2 standard EV plugs at their full 14.4kW output - Terry style.

So, one of the "hidden features" is the ability to plug it in to 2 J1772 EVSE chargers (one on each side) for a total of 14.4kW of charging at standard J1772 charging stations... ;)
Interesting idea. But that would make Tesla Model X rather unpopular as they'd be blocking two charging spots... and Blink would happily bill you twice...

Very interesting idea!

Depending of the availability of J1772 chargers at a location, if there are plenty of them, it certainly is very useful feature. For example we have a parking with almost 100% J1772 chargers (total of 125 units).

For what it's worth, my car has 60,000 miles on it; I never charge at home with currents less than 80A;

Do you do this because you can, or you have to? Realistically you'd have to be driving something like 550 miles in 2 days, while stopping at home for only 5 hours. That seems insane. I'm justing wondering who really needs 80A other than some commercial operation, like a taxi fleet.

Those of us in the EV motorcycle world are familiar with one of the early legends of the electric motorcycle world (Terry Hershner) who bought one of the first Zero Motorcycles that came with the capability to add additional external chargers. He built up his motorcycle.....

Cool trivia and history, thx for sharing it!

Interesting idea. But that would make Tesla Model X rather unpopular as they'd be blocking two charging spots... and Blink would happily bill you twice...

Indeed, and unlike Terry's "from the looks of this it's pretty clear I've rolled my own system here" setup, this would have the disadvantage of looking more like "we've designed our cars to hog the chargers".

On the other hand, and while I've only read a couple of Terry's blogs and talked to him twice in person mostly about the engineering of it all - it did seem like he easily found a bunch of charging spots he could cobble together to keep his system full here and there when he was going on some of his record setting runs. So, in practice, 2 would be easy to find in many situations. In theory, I don't think a manufacturer would want to encourage the practice...

Do you do this because you can, or you have to? Realistically you'd have to be driving something like 550 miles in 2 days, while stopping at home for only 5 hours. That seems insane. I'm justing wondering who really needs 80A other than some commercial operation, like a taxi fleet.

I do it because there's no reason not to. I have the HPWC, I have the room on my electrical service, and I don't feel like screwing with the charge current all the time. The goal is simplicity - plug it in, don't worry.

Before supercharging arrived, and before chargers were installed at the airport, I thought that occasionally I might have to return from the airport, take on a 1-2 hour 80A charge, then zoom off to my in-laws' for the weekend. Superchargers along the way, along with the chargers at the airport have made that a moot point.

Today, if I did a new install I'd still get the HPWC for the convenience of it.

Seeing as we're back to discussing twin charge ports again, I'll throw in that I think many folks are missing the cost/benefit point. Putting in additional charge ports is going to cost and it makes no sense to do that (certainly not as a standard item) to benefit a small number of people on an intermittent basis. It'd almost certainly be cheaper to carry around a ChaDeMo adapter for example. The potential for blocking multiple spaces/chargepoints/superchargers is horrendous and to be avoided IMO.

The only good option I can see for double charge ports would be if there was an ability to plug in from 2 different 120v receptacles at once; that would allow charging in an environment where owners are currently limited to trickle charging only.

There are advantages to home 80A charging, which I have for my S. My off peak price electricity time runs from 12 to 7. I also have a Roadster. Charging my S at 80A means I always can charge it to full at the cheapest price and do not have to overlap my S charging with my Roadster charging.

A CHAdeMO port would be used *instead of* the standard port, not as well as.

In some markets, like Japan and parts of the EU where SC coverage is light, this would be massively convenient - the alternative is to use the annoying adapter almost all the time.

Tesla have already done all the hard integration work with the adapter, so why not?

In some markets, like Japan and parts of the EU where SC coverage is light, this would be massively convenient - the alternative is to use the annoying adapter almost all the time.

Tesla have already done all the hard integration work with the adapter, so why not?

Why don't they ship MacBooks with Windows 8?

Also with economies of scale, maybe they could offer it as a built-in option for ~$250 instead of having to use a clumsy adapter cable that costs $500. I would definitely go for such an option!

When I first heard of the possibility of a second charge port several months ago, I posted the idea but others thought that there wouldn't be room since the CHAdeMO port is so much larger.

18 days until we know for sure ...

- - - Updated - - -

By default, it probably wouldn't be used by everyone but if they offered it as an option, I'm sure lots of people would opt to have a VM of Windows installed. Where I work, everyone that has a Mac ends up installing Windows on it in a VM.

The same would go for a CHAdeMO port. Offer it as a built-in option and I'm sure lots would choose to have it installed.

That... would definitely be a "BAM!" moment for Tesla at the reveal. The stand-alone adapter needs to be brought into a TM Service Center to do any firmware updates... Aside from the obvious exponential boost in convenience for the driver, and an almost certain efficiency of cost from integrating it into the vehicle build, it could receive over-the-air updates via the car as TM improves the interface with the DCFC chargers.

(Speculate Harder!) And if Model S (new coming off the assembly line) get it too, or can be ordered with a CHAdeMO Option...

Haaave you heard of Apple BootCamp? Included. Just bring your own Windows license.
Just like, Tesla wouldn't be paying your EvGO or Blinque membership but the hardware could be there in case it helps your travels.

Last edited:
Haaave you heard of Apple BootCamp? Included. Just bring your own Windows license.
Just like, Tesla wouldn't be paying your EvGO or Blinque membership but the hardware could be there in case it helps your travels.

Bootcamp and VMware/Parallels/whatever are perfectly analogous to an adapter. I run Windows in a VM on Mac when necessary. Macs ship with Mac OS. You want to use a different proprietary OS? Use an adapter.

Tesla's charge ports are proprietary to them. I don't see the point in making you use an adapter to use their own charge stations.

J1mbo said:
Why do they ship 2 charging ports on the Leaf?

Also don't see how this is a proper analogy considering the proprietary nature of Tesla's connector.

Tesla's charge ports are proprietary to them. I don't see the point in making you use an adapter to use their own charge stations.

Also don't see how this is a proper analogy considering the proprietary nature of Tesla's connector.

On the left of the car is Tesla's normal port, whether proprietary (US) or standard Type 2 (pretty much the rest of the world). No change here.

A second, CHAdeMO, port *could be* on the right of the car. Which would be awesome for those who rely on CHAdeMO.