Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the left of the car is Tesla's normal port, whether proprietary (US) or standard Type 2 (pretty much the rest of the world). No change here.

A second, CHAdeMO, port *could be* on the right of the car. Which would be awesome for those who rely on CHAdeMO.

CHAdeMO ports are much bigger than that door we've been seeing on the mules.

I'm not sure. Been looking at chademo ports, might be able to bodge 1 into tesla somehow.

Best bet is that its another supercharger port, so you can use 2 superchargers at once. Or Tesla going to release charging stations with 2 leads each, so you can charge twice as fast, so can compete with fossil fuel refuelling.

On the left of the car is Tesla's normal port, whether proprietary (US) or standard Type 2 (pretty much the rest of the world). No change here.

Interesting view of "pretty much the rest of the world". There are slightly over 100 Mennekes chargers listed on Plugshare in countries outside of Europe...a number of them in the US. There are thousands in Europe...and only in Europe. As a comparison, there are 84 superchargers in East Asia--by any standard a minority charger--and 33 Mennekes.

the US is often stupid about going its own way on standards, no doubt, but this is not an example of that.

Your larger point, about building the most popular charge adapters into the car, appropriate to parochial region, does make sense. The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter does seem to me like an accident waiting to happen. CHAdeMO is by far the most popular fast charger format around the world, including in assertively nonconforming Europe and the US. It's an unfortunately disappointing standard, although recent 100kw demos show some promise for improvement.

--Snortybartfast

A CHAdeMO port would be used *instead of* the standard port, not as well as.

In some markets, like Japan and parts of the EU where SC coverage is light, this would be massively convenient - the alternative is to use the annoying adapter almost all the time.

Tesla have already done all the hard integration work with the adapter, so why not?

Even in my area which has plenty CHAdeMO stations, I would consider it a clunky unnecessary complexity on the base product vs an add on adapter I can tuck in the frunk . As much as I like standards Tesla has a IMO better default solution for charging power and ergonomics.

Bootcamp and VMware/Parallels/whatever are perfectly analogous to an adapter. I run Windows in a VM on Mac when necessary. Macs ship with Mac OS. You want to use a different proprietary OS? Use an adapter.

What he said. ohmman is absolutely right on this. I can't believe people are even thinking that Tesla would subvert their own standard by adding a CHAdeMO port on the car. Besides, measure it! It won't fit. Also: Ewwwwwww! Get that clunky crappy standard away from my car!

As for why (some) LEAFs have two charge ports - one is AC, one is DC. They are completely different standards. In order to be able to provide quick charging they had to add a second port (CHAdeMO). Which, by the way, does not come with the base model LEAF, even today. I had a LEAF which had a J1772 port and no CHAdeMO port.

Last edited:
Interesting view of "pretty much the rest of the world". There are slightly over 100 Mennekes chargers listed on Plugshare in countries outside of Europe...a number of them in the US. There are thousands in Europe...and only in Europe. As a comparison, there are 84 superchargers in East Asia--by any standard a minority charger--and 33 Mennekes.

They ship their proprietary plug to:

US

They ship cars fitted with Type 2 to:

Australia
Europe
Norway
Switzerland
Hong Kong
Japan
China (modified)

I think that counts as "pretty much the rest of the world" for now?

As I'm a newbie to the EV world, I wanted to see what the two charge ports looked like and I found the following image.

image.jpeg

Chademo charging socket (left) on a Nissan LEAF. An SAE J1772 socket is also shown on the right.

As I'm a newbie to the EV world, I wanted to see what the two charge ports looked like and I found the following image.

View attachment 93876
Chademo charging socket (left) on a Nissan LEAF. An SAE J1772 socket is also shown on the right.

Yes, and if you've ever looked at the size of the J1772 adapter for the Tesla charge port (hint: the J1772 is bigger) you'll appreciate that there is no way a CHAdeMO port is going to fit on the side of a Model X unless they have radically altered the space available for the charge port. CHAdeMO is huge! (And the CApiTAliZaTioN is sTUpiD.)

One more thing worth mentioning. I don't believe Tesla can remove their charge port from the vehicle if they ever want that vehicle to have the ability to supercharge. There is communication between the car and Tesla that I don't imagine would survive the adapter process.

A CHAdeMO port would be used *instead of* the standard port, not as well as.

In some markets, like Japan and parts of the EU where SC coverage is light, this would be massively convenient - the alternative is to use the annoying adapter almost all the time.

Tesla have already done all the hard integration work with the adapter, so why not?
Well, in the EU they could even have one inlet which can both to AC, CCS and SuperCharging. I already proposed this for Model 3: CCS Charging options for Model 3

It *could* be that Tesla already did this for Model X though. We don't know. I hope they did and also offer this on Model S.

That would make life very easy with a Tesla in Europe.

One more thing worth mentioning. I don't believe Tesla can remove their charge port from the vehicle if they ever want that vehicle to have the ability to supercharge. There is communication between the car and Tesla that I don't imagine would survive the adapter process.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Tesla would remove the existing port - just that they would add another as well.

Having said that, I also don't see any reason Tesla couldn't design an adapter that would allow them to continue whatever communication they have and need (but Tesla also talks directly to the car over 3G/LTE, and directly to the Supercharger as well, so I'm not sure what you think they'd lose...)
Walter

They ship their proprietary plug to:

US

They ship cars fitted with Type 2 to:

Australia
Europe
Norway
Switzerland
Hong Kong
Japan
China (modified)

I think that counts as "pretty much the rest of the world" for now?

Are you sure about Japan? Their grid structure is a lot more like the US one than the European one, and a while with Google didn't give me a definitive answer.

Here's a photo from a Chinese news source (crediting Bloomberg, though,) that says it is a Model S charging outside a hotel in Tokyo, and clearly shows a US style connector (glowing ring around the smaller plug.)

It certainly isn't "U.S. vs the world" for electrical standards - they vary widely and seem to be mostly based on whether a US company or a German one built the initial equipment back in the day. If the country doesn't have easy consumer access to three phase power, there's no reason for a EU type connecter, as far as I can tell.
Walter

[rumor] MX Single 60A charger

Do you do this because you can, or you have to? Realistically you'd have to be driving something like 550 miles in 2 days, while stopping at home for only 5 hours. That seems insane. I'm justing wondering who really needs 80A other than some commercial operation, like a taxi fleet.

I charge at home regularly at 65A, and occasionally at 80A. My EV plan only provides a 4 hour window to charge.

Japanese Model S has US style connector. Superchargers are the same, as HPWCs are too. Our voltage is lower 100V/200V but that's the only difference from the US version.

BTW CHAdeMO is DC only standard, and if Model X has a CHAdeMO native connector, it has to have a Tesla connector as well for AC home charging. With combo, there are smaller connector with AC and lower-amp DC charging, and larger connector with separate DC pins for higher-amp DC charging. The bigger one is bigger than CHAdeMO and it won't fit even Model X...

I have another idea. In many outdoor locations in Japan, like camping and outdoor BBQ, there are no outlets. So Outlander PHEV's 100V outlet is very convenient and people praise about it, like wife and kids dry hair with hair dryer in the car or cooking rice near the river etc. So built in outlet is also one possibility.

With CHAdeMO Vehicle-to-Home support, the car's battery and CHAdeMO port can work as Powerwall - Leafs and Outlanders already have this feature, for emergencies and some electricity peak shaving.

Do you do this because you can, or you have to? Realistically you'd have to be driving something like 550 miles in 2 days, while stopping at home for only 5 hours. That seems insane. I'm justing wondering who really needs 80A other than some commercial operation, like a taxi fleet.

For me it's not about driving 550 miles -- it's about recovering the range I need to make my next trip. Sometimes I arrive home from work with 180 miles and I need 240 in order to begin my weekend trip. Charging at 60 MPH makes that much easier. Other times it's about arriving home from a trip with 10 RM but I need to drive 30 ASAP. Again, the speed of charging is what's important here -- not about recovering 100% of the battery.

Yes, and if you've ever looked at the size of the J1772 adapter for the Tesla charge port (hint: the J1772 is bigger) you'll appreciate that there is no way a CHAdeMO port is going to fit on the side of a Model X unless they have radically altered the space available for the charge port. CHAdeMO is huge! (And the CApiTAliZaTioN is sTUpiD.)

How big is the Menekkes Type 2 plug used by Tesla outside North America and Japan?

Last edited: