Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me to order the wall charger from the model S page. I ordered two, one for home and one for the weekend house. I was going to wire them for 80 amp, max 60 amp charging based upon the information on the MX. Much lower cost than wiring for the full 80 amp charge if not necessary. Today, a tesla rep said that the "single" charger on the MX was the "gen 3" charger and would draw up to 72 amps. Any info on this? I need to get moving on installing chargers but would hate to do it wrong, either too little or too much. Anyone have any additional info?

I think you've likely got just as much info on the Model X charger as anyone. This is the first we've heard of 72amps but that would be much more in line with Tesla trying to innovate. Given your particular situation it might make sense to wire for 80amps in order to get the max draw. They really should be able to tell you more. Also, is 72amps one of the outputs the HPWC is able to provide?

@de704 Your garage is wider than the average house in the UK. I'm not joking, the stats are somewhere on the internet. You're not going for a bamboo floor? like Elon has at the Tesla factory to quality check the Tesla's.

I think you've likely got just as much info on the Model X charger as anyone. This is the first we've heard of 72amps but that would be much more in line with Tesla trying to innovate. Given your particular situation it might make sense to wire for 80amps in order to get the max draw. They really should be able to tell you more. Also, is 72amps one of the outputs the HPWC is able to provide?

According to the HPWC install guide there are options for 64 A and 80 A charging (80 A and 100 A breakers). There are other options down to as low as a 15 A breaker.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf

Tesla could modify this for the X rollout if they decide to. An option for a 90 A breaker would provide 72 A to the car.

GSP

That can make sense - it would be a 24 amps-per-phase charger for 3-phase countries (16.5 kW at nominal EU voltage) and 72 amps for single-phase (17.3 kW at nominal US voltage).

The current WC cannot do 72 amps, although the old one can. That's the 90A breaker setting. The current one can only do 64A or 80A charging (80/100A breaker).

According to the HPWC install guide there are options for 64 A and 80 A charging (80 A and 100 A breakers). There are other options down to as low as a 15 A breaker.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf

Tesla could modify this for the X rollout if they decide to. An option for a 90 A breaker would provide 72 A to the car.

GSP

The original HPWC had options for 90A. You can still find the manual on the net. At some point they stopped supporting it. You can set the dip switches to 90A, but it ignores it and defaults to 30, I think. Odd change by Tesla.

That can make sense - it would be a 24 amps-per-phase charger for 3-phase countries (16.5 kW at nominal EU voltage) and 72 amps for single-phase (17.3 kW at nominal US voltage).

The current WC cannot do 72 amps, although the old one can. That's the 90A breaker setting. The current one can only do 64A or 80A charging (80/100A breaker).

I don't have a HPWC so I don't know if it works the same way but with the MC I can select the amperage one at a time up to 40. I've used a HPWC for max charging but never tried to draw only 72amps. Isn't it possible for an HPWC wired to provide 80 amps, would just simply deliver 72 if that's all the car could draw?

I don't have a HPWC so I don't know if it works the same way but with the MC I can select the amperage one at a time up to 40. I've used a HPWC for max charging but never tried to draw only 72amps. Isn't it possible for an HPWC wired to provide 80 amps, would just simply deliver 72 if that's all the car could draw?
Yes. And also will be very nice for your Model S dual charger friends who can get the full 80 amps. :)

Yes. And also will be very nice for your Model S dual charger friends who can get the full 80 amps. :)

My Model S has dual chargers and I'm thinking that, when we get Model X, I'll swap one of my 2 NEMA 14-50s for a HPWC wired for an 80a draw. It would be nice to be able to fast charge some days.

I've had a forum member come charge at the house back in the early days but now we have a Supercharger in town and it's become apparent that my sparkling personality wasn't the reason he came to visit us.

My Model S has dual chargers and I'm thinking that, when we get Model X, I'll swap one of my 2 NEMA 14-50s for a HPWC wired for an 80a draw. It would be nice to be able to fast charge some days.

I've had a forum member come charge at the house back in the early days but now we have a Supercharger in town and it's become apparent that my sparkling personality wasn't the reason he came to visit us.
Its totally not your fault. Superchargers give off a pheromone that attracts most Model S drivers. Tesla may turn the power a little sour in the near future and your friend may return. Make some cookies to console them while they nurse a little slower. All will be well. ;)

Its totally not your fault. Superchargers give off a pheromone that attracts most Model S drivers. Tesla may turn the power a little sour in the near future and your friend may return. Make some cookies to console them while they nurse a little slower. All will be well. ;)

I even got a Roadster HPC adaptor because we have one in town... I think I still have it somewhere but I'm not totally sure.

Also, the Supercharger is next to a pretty good microbrew pub. I don't stand a chance.

GSP
I do not believe there is a 90 amp breaker option. 60, 80, or 100. The wire has to be sized to the breaker regardless of the actual draw of the device. So, if you want the 80 amp (or "up to" 72 amps as described by the tesla rep), you have to do the full 100 amp breaker with #3 copper or I believe #1 aluminum.

I do not believe there is a 90 amp breaker option. 60, 80, or 100. The wire has to be sized to the breaker regardless of the actual draw of the device. So, if you want the 80 amp (or "up to" 72 amps as described by the tesla rep), you have to do the full 100 amp breaker with #3 copper or I believe #1 aluminum.

I think that's accurate. Is the price difference for installation really that different between the 100a and 80a fuse/wire setup? Are you comfortable sharing the quotes you got?

I think that's accurate. Is the price difference for installation really that different between the 100a and 80a fuse/wire setup? Are you comfortable sharing the quotes you got?

I'm working with an electrician friend to do the work myself so I don't really have bid numbers but it is a big difference. The #3 copper is not available in an "insulated" cover with two wires plus ground the way you would think of an extension cord. As such, you have to run conduit and pull the individual wires in the conduit. A lot more work. The #4 wire can be purchased all three together, again like an extension cord, so it can be run point to point without conduit. #3 wire is really heavy and hard to work with. If you were having an electrician do all the work, it would not surprise me at all to be double the price. The wire alone is way more expensive.

I'm working with an electrician friend to do the work myself so I don't really have bid numbers but it is a big difference. The #3 copper is not available in an "insulated" cover with two wires plus ground the way you would think of an extension cord. As such, you have to run conduit and pull the individual wires in the conduit. A lot more work. The #4 wire can be purchased all three together, again like an extension cord, so it can be run point to point without conduit. #3 wire is really heavy and hard to work with. If you were having an electrician do all the work, it would not surprise me at all to be double the price. The wire alone is way more expensive.

Okay, gotcha. If you can confirm the 72amp thing with Tesla, your preferred setup (at least at home, maybe not at vacation house) would be the HPWC wired for 80amp continuous draw... even though it's a PITA. That said, it's going to be a value judgement for you: faster charge time v. more challenging/expensive installation.

Yes, right, I have an older one at home and a newer one at my cabin. Here's the old one dip switch settings:

HPWC DIP Switches old.png

New one's settings:

HPWC new (2).jpg

Now, you can always select any amps you want from the car (up to the dip switch settings) so really the changes don't make much of a difference, but if you do set the dips too high for the wire, and then dial it down in the car, but have someone else charge or, your car is reset so it defaults, the car will take what the dips are set for, and that would present a fire hazard so I don't recommend it.

You can get #2 AWG copper in a cable-style (NM), but there's a caveat -- you can't even use it for 100A setting. Even though the conductors inside the jacket are rated individually for 100A, the cable assembly itself is good to only 95A because of the NEC provision 334.62. This means that 2/3 cable cannot be used for the 100A setting. You must use #2 or #3 (copper) wire-in-conduit, or an aluminum SER cable of sufficient size with a transition to copper into the HPWC (since the lugs won't accept the size of AL wire required to carry 100A). This will have to be done in a junction box or disconnect.

- - - Updated - - -

Im trying to find out if 1/0-3 aluminum is an option. That might eliminate the need for conduit using service entrance wire. I was looking for copper and could not find anything in #3 copper.

You may use 1/0-1/0-1/0 AL service-entrance cable. 338.10(B)(4) says that if at any point the cable goes through insulation / thermal insulation, then you must use the 60 degC column of 310.15 annex B. If it never travels through insulation, you can use the 75 degC column and that means #1 AL could be used. In most cases, passing through a wall into the garage is going to mean thermal insulation, though. As mentioned previously, you'll need to use a junction box with proper CO-AL connectors to convert to #2 copper for the final few feet into the HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

As such, you have to run conduit and pull the individual wires in the conduit. A lot more work.

For what it's worth, I find it to be less work to do conduit, then pull conductors through. Getting cable (originally spooled/coiled) through walls and joists and such is a pain!

@de704 Your garage is wider than the average house in the UK. I'm not joking, the stats are somewhere on the internet. You're not going for a bamboo floor? like Elon has at the Tesla factory to quality check the Tesla's.

:) Our house is 4000 Square feet plus an unfinished basement.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to wire them for 80 amp, max 60 amp charging based upon the information on the MX.

I wouldn't wire your HPWC for the Model X based on an internet rumor. Until I see the specs for the Model X directly from Tesla Motors Inc it's not a fact.

When have you ever know Tesla to slow charging down?