Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't wire your HPWC for the Model X based on an internet rumor. Until I see the specs for the Model X directly from Tesla Motors Inc it's not a fact.

When have you ever know Tesla to slow charging down?

I can see it happening in this case. They increase the charging capacity of the single charger by 50% and eliminate the dual-charger option. It makes the code simpler and gives us less components to fail. For people at home, 6 hours full charge from 0% is a reasonable time frame, and for those commercial organizations that need faster charging there are options for the mini-superchargers and/or CHAdeMO chargers.

At the time I configured, I obtained dual chargers because there were no superchargers at the time and the public charger footprint was rather sad. There were times I would need to come back from the airport on a business trip and turn around to a 140-mile trip within an hour or two - I accomplish that today with chargers at the airport and a supercharger between me and the typical destination.

One really interesting part of this, as mentioned upthread, is that it provides some flexibility for them in Supercharger buildout. Use 2/3 of the charger hardware for the same output, or potentially scale up a bit, depending on the limiting factors in the battery. Also, they could upgrade the Superchargers so that when both stalls are occupied, there's more capacity.

Regardless it'll be interesting to see how these play into that side of the business, if at all.

One really interesting part of this, as mentioned upthread, is that it provides some flexibility for them in Supercharger buildout. Use 2/3 of the charger hardware for the same output, or potentially scale up a bit, depending on the limiting factors in the battery. Also, they could upgrade the Superchargers so that when both stalls are occupied, there's more capacity.

Regardless it'll be interesting to see how these play into that side of the business, if at all.

Sorry, you lost me here.

The onboard charger is by-passed when plugged in at a Supercharger.

Sorry, you lost me here.

The onboard charger is by-passed when plugged in at a Supercharger.

Superchargers are made of chargers. A 50% (or whatever) more capable onboard charger could be an upgrade component of a Supercharger stack.

"How it Works

Superchargers consist of multiple Model S chargers working in parallel to deliver up to 120 kW of direct current (DC) power directly to the battery."

Last edited:
Superchargers are made of chargers. A 50% (or whatever) more capable onboard charger could be an upgrade component of a Supercharger stack.

"How it Works

Superchargers consist of multiple Model S chargers working in parallel to deliver up to 120 kW of direct current (DC) power directly to the battery."

Ah, ok thanks. I was looking at it from the car perspective not the other way round.:redface:

Single 60A onboard charger was confirmed to me verbally. No other details.

Interesting.

I'm still not understanding the logic on spending more to design and build a 60A charger for the car when 60A charging opportunities are virtually non-existent - but maybe if the Superchargers are driving the development instead the cost difference for hardware in the car is minimal, especially if it means they only have to build/spare one part number instead of two or three (which would presumably only be the case if the new 60A module is a viable replacement for the 40A in all cases, including existing Model Ss...)

However, I had thought that Tesla was going to EU style triple charger modules for all the superchargers...

Interesting discussion. Learning more about electrical charges than I probably needed to know. But I have a confession to make. Installed the HPWC in garage more than 2 years ago for Sig MS not because I needed quicker charge but because thought the HPWC charger looked so cool on wall. And set it to charge the MS at 60 amps so when receive the low production reservation MX the 60 amp limitation of no effect to me. But the HPWC charger does look nice on garage wall. Cheers.

I'm still not understanding the logic on spending more to design and build a 60A charger for the car when 60A charging opportunities are virtually non-existent...

Non-existent? I see tons of HPWC's out there on the map below and I just used one recently when staying at a hotel...

Destination Charging | Tesla Motors

If the rumour is true, Tesla is going backward in my opinion by going to 60 amp. I need the full 80 Amps when I arrive at my cabin just for the day or I can't make it back home without staying longer than I need if I'm just going to cut the grass or do other work. Plus, at hotels, we like to check in, unpack, have a quick shower or whatever then go out on the town before coming back to sleep. So those extra 20 amps are also important when using destination chargers.

If the rumour is true, I predict the Model S will also be changed to a single 60 amp and that will eliminate upgrades being available at the service centers, except for the older Model S's with the single chargers. That would be too bad.

Non-existent? I see tons of HPWC's out there on the map below and I just used one recently when staying at a hotel...

Destination Charging | Tesla Motors

If the rumour is true, Tesla is going backward in my opinion by going to 60 amp. I need the full 80 Amps when I arrive at my cabin just for the day or I can't make it back home without staying longer than I need if I'm just going to cut the grass or do other work. Plus, at hotels, we like to check in, unpack, have a quick shower or whatever then go out on the town before coming back to sleep. So those extra 20 amps are also important when using destination chargers.

If the rumour is true, I predict the Model S will also be changed to a single 60 amp and that will eliminate upgrades being available at the service centers, except for the older Model S's with the single chargers. That would be too bad.

I wasn't suggesting that HPWCs were going to remain rare - Tesla is certainly trying to roll them out as destination chargers in lots of places. But how many of those are set to allow only 60A? I expect/assume that the majority are set to 80A...

That's my point - from purely the car's perspective, the original 40/80 combo made the most sense - 40A is the most you can take from any standard outlet, and 80A is the most you can get from any J1772 compliant charger.

60A is neither here nor there - more capacity than you can use most of the time, and less than you can get sometimes. That's why I say "60A" charging is an odd choice - it requires a redesign and presumably more expensive components for capacity that most cars won't be able to use most of the time - and doesn't provide the additional capacity some people really want and were ready to pay for.

The Supercharger driven logic makes some sense, and if they've already done the redesign and the component cost isn't much more, then it might make sense for economy of scale or standardization reasons - but it's still a choice I wouldn't have expected from Tesla.
Walter

Last edited:

60A (read 15kW) was confirmed to me. I did also think that would slow down destination charging but the majority of S owners I know have single 10kW chargers anyway so I'd always be faster than them; in addition Model X should encourage more EV owners which in turn will encourage more destination charging.

BTW, I asked today if my existing HPWC would be fine for use on Model X and received an affirmative reply.