Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you find this?

In another thread Russ posted his order. I didn't see anything about AC charging so I asked him if it was on his "paperwork". He said it wasn't discussed anywhere and the next day he called the production configuration hotline to specifically inquire. It was then a Tesla rep revealed this profoundly stupid hidden ordering process.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use this term lightly, but Telsa's decision to do charger-by-easter-egg is literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me started on the dual charger/HPWC thing. That was when I ordered my car, so I didn't get that option. Then I ended up buying an HPWC anyway, when the cut the prices on those. So now I have a single charger car and an 80W HPWC. Lame.

Very true.

As you may know it is still possible to retrofit a second on-board charger on your Model S, whereas according to the hidden Model X ordering option, retrofitting a Model X is not possible. Tesla must have anticipated negative customer reactions to eliminating the dual charger factory option for Model Ss, because they reduced the initial cost to retrofit from $3,600 to $2,000. Of course the original factory option that was eliminated was only $1,500.

Larry

So is the general consensus that going for the 72A option will delay or speed up your delivery? At first I thought it might speed it up, since all Sigs are 72A, and the lines will have those. But if the odd handling of this option is due to supplier constraints then it might delay. I don't NEED it, but am considering it (I just submitted my order WITH it, but can change that within the week) I don't want to do anything that would delay it further beyond the already delayed "mid-2016" mark.

I'm a big TMC supporter, but we excel in speculation. People here are SPECULATING that this stupid ordering policy must be due to a supply issue. It's a logical thought process, but it ain't true until the "Fat Lady Sings".

My suggestion would be for you to talk to the production configuration hotline and get a definitive answer as to whether your order of the high capacity on-board charger will actually delay your order. I think that you will be surprised to learn that it won't.

With regard to the advisibility of ordering the high capacity charger, I think that individual Sales representatives are doing cutomers a disservice because they are looking back historically and declaring that most people didn't need it. However, if they were smart they would be looking forward. In a few years there will be more than an order of magnitude increase in the number of Teslas on the road. Destination charging congestion may be radically different. It's true that you may not need high capacity AC charging all the time, but on those occasions when you need it, you REALLY DO NEED IT. For those who elect to go with the default 48 amp charging fine, but you will be very happy when you are in line behind a bunch of other Teslas and they decided to select charging almost twice the speed of your car. :wink:

Larry

Last edited:
Larry, here is to looking forward ... 2016 is just around the corner :cool:

2016.png

View attachment 102330
The 2104 map didn't happen in 2014. The 2015 map isn't happening in 2015. What makes you think the 2016 map will happen in 2016? And even if it does, there will be plenty of circumstances when people will want higher amp destination charging for various reasons, and be really upset when they find out they could have had it for $1000 extra if the fact wasn't kept secret from them by Tesla in some sort of weird paternalistic way.

View attachment 102330

If Tesla meets its production targets are those dots going to be enough?

When Tesla is producing hundreds of thousands of Teslas year after year is that enough?

In answer to my question, if Tesla thought those number of Superchargers were sufficient then there would be no Tesla Destination Charging Program.

Elon likes multiple options.

That's all many of us are saying here. If Tesla has already provided the customer with an option, don't hide it.

Let the customers decide whether it makes sense to them and allow them to hedge their bets regarding AC charger congestion in the future.

Larry

View attachment 102330
See all those big gaps out West? I like going to those areas. The ones in Washington at least have Sun Country Highway EVSE's that are more than 48 amps.

Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

I'll also drop this here too...

Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers

If they didn't want us to use high amp AC charging, why would they start this Destination Charging program?

Cheers!

Seriously? Is this what "journalism" has evolved to? Maybe FlasherZ should be working directly for gas2.org and eliminating the middle-man. I'm sure FlasherZ won't see 1 cent from that article. Something doesn't feel right to me when users on TMC do all the ground investigative work, and some guy comes in and uses it all for a profit.

I don't see it as bad journalism. I thought the article was informative and made good points. Not everyone comes to TMC to get news on the Model X, and even if they do, boiling down this thread is not an easy thing to do for someone looking for information. I thought Steve Hanley did a good job of summarizing this issue.

Flasher, you should be flattered that out of everyone here, and all the posts, you were quoted. Also, I doubt Steve Hanley made much, if anything, for that article and gas2.org probably barely makes enough from the ads on that page to pay the server fees. I don't think Flasher will want to quit his day job.

Flasher, you should be flattered that out of everyone here, and all the posts, you were quoted. Also, I doubt Steve Hanley made much, if anything, for that article and gas2.org probably barely makes enough from the ads on that page to pay the server fees. I don't think Flasher will want to quit his day job.

Meh, not a big deal. I've always been frustrated with the press after having my words and intentions twisted long ago in an article that suggested I took an anti commercialization position on the internet, when I just wanted an idiot to stop using a limited university run resource for his company's commercial interest.

So I don't mind.

Good luck getting a straight answer. There is no rule that says a company has to disclose the whys and wherefores of their decisions.

There's no rule that says a company has to avoid bankruptcy, either. I think a lot of investors would like to know why they're acting incredibly stupid and what they will do to avoid doing so in future.

What would the cost and timeline of development and sales of a hand-carry 80A AC-DC charger be? Essentially, a mini-SC, but vastly slower than an SC. Would require amazing cooling to be safe. Could either be standards-based, or Tesla-proprietary interface.

1. 100A twist lock connectors are unwieldy. Imagine a CHAdeMO, but larger. Good luck finding a single phase one, too.
2. The Tesla onboard chargers are about the size of two large/old laptops put together and they weigh even more.
3. 72A x 240VAC = 17kW. If this portable charger is 98% efficient, it's going to be giving off ~350w of heat that needs to be dissipated. That comes to about 1200BTUs. The components needed to safely remove that heat from the charger adds weight and bulk, and will need to draw even more watts to operate.

When is Tesla going to bring the price and size of SC equipment down, so they can bring some reasonable smaller-sized and lower-level DC charging to destinations?

It would be neat to have a "half SC" that can do ~60kWh. It would be similar to a CHAdeMO. If that's the case, why not just have destination charger location install a CHAdeMO and have a Tesla adapter at the front desk for use. This wouldn't be needed at a hotel since overnight stays should be able to fill a drained battery overnight with the HPWCs. There are options here, for sure.