Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.. the EPA ratings which mentions Model X charging at 80 Amps basically kill this silly "MX Single 60A charger" rumor. Now this thread can be deleted. :smile::tongue:

I'm willing to bet that this information is simply copied from Model S because the EPA needed to fill in the box. The "rumor" that the car will have a 60A charger has been confirmed by Tesla reps to several folks here on more than one occasion. We'll know more tomorrow but I think it's premature to delete the thread just yet.

I've changed my view on this since 3 years ago, as I noted up-thread. The need for me to turn around and do the 80A charging has basically gone away with superchargers and a higher density of lower-current chargers. Would I like to get a higher-current charging capability to charge? Sure. But given my usage patterns I would happily trade 20A for a higher reliability factor and lower cost (and I guess more room).

I'm of the opinion that greater numbers of level 2 charging spots, instead of fewer/higher power chargers, at destination locations is preferable. Seems 20A might be a bit on the low side... I'd suggest 240V/30A might be a good compromise.

I'd rather be able to use one open 30A spot among 6 over night at a hotel, rather than have to wait for one of the two occupied 80A spots to get freed up.

I'm of the opinion that greater numbers of level 2 charging spots, instead of fewer/higher power chargers, at destination locations is preferable. Seems 20A might be a bit on the low side... I'd suggest 240V/30A might be a good compromise.

Actually, what I was saying was that I'd give up 20A of charging (making it 60A instead of 80A) for that trade-off... *not* charging at 20A. I think 40A charging is the minimum for my type of turnaround. During my family's trip to Florida this year, we pulled into the Atlanta-Westin Peachtree at 2 am with 26 miles, and planned to depart between 8 and 9 am. Their HPWC @ 48A charging got us full just in time.

I'm willing to bet that this information is simply copied from Model S because the EPA needed to fill in the box. The "rumor" that the car will have a 60A charger has been confirmed by Tesla reps to several folks here on more than one occasion. We'll know more tomorrow but I think it's premature to delete the thread just yet.

Confirming a thing on a message board does not make it so.

Confirming a thing on a message board does not make it so.

That information you quoted from the EPA web site does not make it "not so". In particular, that site is known to typically contain copy/paste errors from related models that get corrected over time (someone even mentioned a specific precedent that he corrected in previous Model S listings). The same table claims that the interior volumes of the S and the X are identical which we can be quite confident in knowing is incorrect and will be corrected when the actual information is made public. The fact that it claims that the amperage of the chargers is identical is just as likely to be a simple transfer of missing data from the nearest related existing model.

So, your conclusion of "delete the thread" is quite a bit premature and unwarranted until the specs are published by Tesla (which is hopefully less than a day away).

That information you quoted from the EPA web site does not make it "not so". In particular, that site is known to typically contain copy/paste errors from related models that get corrected over time (someone even mentioned a specific precedent that he corrected in previous Model S listings). The same table claims that the interior volumes of the S and the X are identical which we can be quite confident in knowing is incorrect and will be corrected when the actual information is made public. The fact that it claims that the amperage of the chargers is identical is just as likely to be a simple transfer of missing data from the nearest related existing model.

So, your conclusion of "delete the thread" is quite a bit premature and unwarranted until the specs are published by Tesla (which is hopefully less than a day away).

Only Captain Picard can "Make it so". :rolleyes:

Actually, I can confirm it. :)

From my charging contacts at Tesla:

Model X will have a single on-board charger, capable of a 72 amp AC operating current. For the fastest charging, install the Wall Connector for an 80 operating current (100 amp circuit breaker) to allow the vehicle to draw the maximum of 72 amps.

The vehicle will also include the same Mobile Connector bundle as Model S.

Pardon my ignorance. How does that compare with a Model S? either 1 or 2 20 amp chargers correct ?

The Model S has capacity to charge at up to 80A; 40A is the limit if you have the single charger, 80A is the limit if you have the two parallel chargers.
The Model X has capacity to charge at up to 72A; a single charger, with no option for more.

So we just "lose" 8amps? I wonder if this was due to overheating issues with Model Ss charging at 80?

I don't have any indication as to why. I suspect that it's not due to heat, but rather the room in the vehicle for two units and the complexity of multiple chargers.

And yes, this means the cap is ~17.3 kW. For Europe, I imagine that it means 24A per phase charging (or 16.6 kW @ 230V EU nominal) @ 3 phase -- but I can't confirm this.