Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL X - HOW TO PURCHASE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is time that I am interested in purchasing a Tesla Model X.
However, due to pricing, I am looking for a used vehicle in the California or Nevada area.

I have been doing some research for the past month and I still get confused about what version is what, so I am asking people on the forum to please try and help me out.

My questions:

1. How can you tell from browsing the internet if a Tesla Model X 100D is Long Range, Performance, Performance w/ Ludicrous or even Standard? (Without contacting each dealer)

2. Have there been known maintenance issues with any Model X's/ Is it easy to maintain?

3. Why do the car selling websites have minimal information on Model X's? Are there sites that help compare the models easier? (Such as if it has autopilot)

4. Is there a better way to find 2018-2019 used Tesla Model X's for sale? Tesla's website goes from 2016 to 2018, and has a very small selection of 2018's.

Would also love to hear feedback on comfortability. I am in a stage where I am deciding on a sports car (Mercedes Benz C63 Coupe) or the Model X. If you have been in the same boat or even own the car, I would love to hear your feedback.​

1. How can you tell from browsing the internet if a Tesla Model X 100D is Long Range, Performance, Performance w/ Ludicrous or even Standard? (Without contacting each dealer)

It should say what battery pack it has. Previous years had 75D, 90D, P90D, P90DL, 100D and P100D. Tesla stopped making 90D, P90D in late 2017. For 2019, they no longer make anything but 100D (standard 250 miles, long range 325 miles) and P100D (performance 305 miles) models. The 100D long range has a range of 325 miles (Model X | Tesla)

2. Have there been known maintenance issues with any Model X's/ Is it easy to maintain?

Speaking only from anecdotal evidence, I have heard some previous issues with the door operation on pre-2017 cars. Tesla has addressed many QC issues from 2017-
I have a HW 2.5 and personally, I have not encountered any issues other than some noise rattle which was immediately fixed by Tesla. Model X from 2017- has been pretty solid from my opinion and again, from what I've heard from others.

3. Why do the car selling websites have minimal information on Model X's? Are there sites that help compare the models easier? (Such as if it has autopilot)
Unknown.

4. Is there a better way to find 2018-2019 used Tesla Model X's for sale? Tesla's website goes from 2016 to 2018, and has a very small selection of 2018's.

I would suggest that you contact Tesla for their used X inventory. Personally, I believe buying from Tesla directly will be less stress and hassle free.
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Would also love to hear feedback on comfortability. I am in a stage where I am deciding on a sports car (Mercedes Benz C63 Coupe) or the Model X. If you have been in the same boat or even own the car, I would love to hear your feedback.

Model X is a very comfortable, stylish ride in my opinion and very quick and torquey for an big SUV. You can't go wrong. It's a great car. People love the X.
If you get that Benz, you will need to pay for expensive gas all day and that's no fun.

Reactions: Sg911
It is time that I am interested in purchasing a Tesla Model X.
However, due to pricing, I am looking for a used vehicle in the California or Nevada area.

I have been doing some research for the past month and I still get confused about what version is what, so I am asking people on the forum to please try and help me out.

My questions:

Would also love to hear feedback on comfortability. I am in a stage where I am deciding on a sports car (Mercedes Benz C63 Coupe) or the Model X. If you have been in the same boat or even own the car, I would love to hear your feedback.​

1. 100D = Long Range. P100D = Performance. Most P100D have Ludicrous Mode. Recently they unbundled Ludicrous Mode but if you're buying a used P100D it most likely has Ludicrous Mode. You can ask the dealer to take a picture of the settings -> drive page which will have the Ludicrous Mode option to confirm.
2. Yes, most Model X have an issue with acceleration shudder where after about 10,000 miles the car will vibrate under hard acceleration. The temporary solution is to replace the front half shafts, but it's unclear if there is or will be a permanent solution.
3. All Model X have some form of autopilot. Those built before October 2016 have Autopilot Hardware 1 which comes with Autopilot convenience features of traffic aware cruise control, autosteer, and basic summon and auto park. Those built after October 2016 have Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or 2.5 which is the current sensor suite which will be upgradable to the Tesla Full-Self Driving Computer. Note that the hardware is standard, but the software convenience (aka Enhanced Autopilot) features are not, so there will be some cars where it wasn't activated and you would have to pay to turn it on.
4. The for sale section of this forum. Craigslist. Ebay. Cars.com. Onlyusedtesla.com. Also keep an eye on ev-cpo.com.

Have a friend (stock broker) that owns a Mercedes S AMG 65. Says it is a great car, but is the fastest depreciating vehicle he has ever owned. Please consider that if you are trying to save some $$, Used AMG vehicles depreciate so much because they are so expensive to maintain.

Tesla Model years occurs differently than for other manufacturers. A 2019 Mercedes could have been produced late Summer in 2018, and labeled as a 2019. For Tesla they change over on the first of the year, so the 2019 Tesla could end up being a much less used car.

Hard part about shopping for a used Tesla is that they have a policy of continous improvement. They do not wait until the next model year if they have an improved part, but instead install it on the next cars going down the line, maybe even in mid day. Makes it harder to compare. Only thing to do is focus on the car you want and dig in to find out how it is configured.

Some Tesla even have customer upgradable components. It may have been built with a software limited battery pack, but one that can be upgraded to longer range at a later date if the customer desires.

If it was me, shopping right now for an X, I would buy a new one. The charging speed has just been speeded up on Superchargers, the range has been extended about 30 miles per charge with newer components, the Autopilot computer has just been upgraded and is many times faster than the previous one, the suspension has just been upgraded to an adjustable one for superior handling and ride, as well as other improvements. The prices have come down a bit and they are really quite remarkable vehicles.

If you drive much in LA traffic, you are going to Love the Autopilot.

If you own a business, and can take advantage of the IRS Section 179 accelerated deductions. This, along with other EV rebates will make your car cost about 1/2 of the purchase price.

Every car will have it's own maintenance costs, but you can expect your Tesla to cost far less to maintain and fuel than the Mercedes.

If it was me, shopping right now for an X, I would buy a new one. The charging speed has just been speeded up on Superchargers, the range has been extended about 30 miles per charge with newer components, the Autopilot computer has just been upgraded and is many times faster than the previous one, the suspension has just been upgraded to an adjustable one for superior handling and ride, as well as other improvements.

With tax credits, state rebates, and possibly rebates from your utility provider, you are so much better off buying new. Since Tesla JUST recently upgraded the suspension, supercharging speed, and range, you can feel confident you have the best available today. Used prices probably have not fully caught up with these recent upgrades so best to buy new.

With tax credits, state rebates, and possibly rebates from your utility provider, you are so much better off buying new. Since Tesla JUST recently upgraded the suspension, supercharging speed, and range, you can feel confident you have the best available today. Used prices probably have not fully caught up with these recent upgrades so best to buy new.

I forgot how to quote all three postings, but thank you all for the responses.

What first intrigued me was the tax credits. I had not known about the IRS tax deduction, state rebates, and etc., but a friend was telling me that I am not eligible for the tax credits that were listed on the website (forgot his reasoning). This initially strayed me further away from purchasing a new Tesla. However, I would like to learn more about this before making the step to purchase a new vehicle.

As a person working in the technology industry, I understand how quickly things move for the better and I would absolutely like the newest tech possible. I may have to just give up my dreams of owning a Ludicrous Mode Tesla Model X since the price range is at least $125,000+.

At this point, I would say that I would like to know the process of how you guys earned the tax credits, IRS tax deductions, state rebates, and etc., and try to see if that will apply to me. Instead of the ludicrous mode vehicle, I am more focused on a long-range one. The reason the AMG was in the ballpark was that I owned a 2012 C63 AMG and loved it, but overall my budget for the vehicle was aimed towards $90,000. I hope I can find something out there for me soon.

1. 100D = Long Range. P100D = Performance. Most P100D have Ludicrous Mode. Recently they unbundled Ludicrous Mode but if you're buying a used P100D it most likely has Ludicrous Mode. You can ask the dealer to take a picture of the settings -> drive page which will have the Ludicrous Mode option to confirm.
2. Yes, most Model X have an issue with acceleration shudder where after about 10,000 miles the car will vibrate under hard acceleration. The temporary solution is to replace the front half shafts, but it's unclear if there is or will be a permanent solution.
3. All Model X have some form of autopilot. Those built before October 2016 have Autopilot Hardware 1 which comes with Autopilot convenience features of traffic aware cruise control, autosteer, and basic summon and auto park. Those built after October 2016 have Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or 2.5 which is the current sensor suite which will be upgradable to the Tesla Full-Self Driving Computer. Note that the hardware is standard, but the software convenience (aka Enhanced Autopilot) features are not, so there will be some cars where it wasn't activated and you would have to pay to turn it on.
4. The for sale section of this forum. Craigslist. Ebay. Cars.com. Onlyusedtesla.com. Also keep an eye on ev-cpo.com.

I just checked all the sites, and EV-CPO.com really helps show comparisons which I love.
However, it says all 100D's have ludicrous which I kind of doubt.

If the vehicle is made in around 2017/2018, besides the electric range would you say that there is a difference between it and the 2019?
For example options 2 and 3 (attached picture) have what seems like every package. Any information regarding why a newer is better or an older at a more affordable price is better would greatly help make my decision!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 2.28.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 2.28.51 PM.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 87
I just checked all the sites, and EV-CPO.com really helps show comparisons which I love.

If the vehicle is made in around 2017/2018, besides the electric range would you say that there is a difference between it and the 2019?
For example options 2 and 3 (attached picture) have what seems like every package. Any information regarding why a newer is better or an older at a more affordable price is better would greatly help make my decision!

Yeah. 100D definitely does not have Ludicrous Mode. Only P100D have that option.

September 2017 and newer have AP Hardware 2.5 which has some improvements compared to 2.0 (currently sentry mode and dashcam recording require 2.5). March 2018 and newer have MCU2 which means a much more responsive touchscreen and UI (new Chromium web browser requires MCU2). And then March 2019 and newer come with the new Tesla Full Self Driving Computer, though all HW2 and HW2.5 cars will be able to upgrade to the new FSD computer later this year. So keep those cutoff dates in mind. If it were me, I’d get a brand new 2019 Model X 100D as the newer ones have longer range (325 miles vs 295 miles), the new fully adaptive suspension, FSD computer, and MCU2. After incentives, your net cost would be close to $90k. And then factor in about $2000-$3000 per year in gas and maintenance savings, so your 5 year total cost of ownership will be about the same as an $80k gas car.

I'm not sure what you doubt, the data is accurate (as accurate as Tesla reports it, that is). It is what commasign said.. only P100Ds can have Ludicrous... but there are currently 6 P100Ds on EV-CPO that do not have Ludicrous and 6 with Ludicrous. See below. If you have any questions about EV-CPO, just let me now. Good luck in your search.

upload_2019-5-9_18-34-9.png

I'm not sure what you doubt, the data is accurate (as accurate as Tesla reports it, that is). It is what commasign said.. only P100Ds can have Ludicrous... but there are currently 6 P100Ds on EV-CPO that do not have Ludicrous and 6 with Ludicrous. See below. If you have any questions about EV-CPO, just let me now. Good luck in your search.

View attachment 405988

Those were 100Ds with the 72 dual charger back when they offered that as an option. It just allows you to charge at home faster if you invest in the high powered wall charger.

Those were 100Ds with the 72 dual charger back when they offered that as an option. It just allows you to charge at home faster if you invest in the high powered wall charger.

We were talking about cars with or without Ludicrous mode, not the on-board charger.

In reviewing all 12 P100D Model Xs inventory currently listed for sale, they all have 48 amp chargers.

Last edited:
We were talking about cars with or without Ludicrous mode, not the on-board charger.

In reviewing all 12 P100D Model Xs inventory currently listed for sale, they all have 48 amp chargers.
Sorry for any confusion - when the OP shared a file in post #8 it was a screen shot of 100Ds and he was stating they came with Ludicrous. My assumption was he was confused by the Lightning bolt icon...

Reactions: EV-CPO

I was wondering because when I type 100D, and then click a drop down menu it says Ludicrous. That is the confusing part. I attached a photo for you to see...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 1.42.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 1.42.46 PM.png
    196 KB · Views: 52
What you’re seeing is the column label for Ludicrous, not Ludicrous enabled. If Ludicrous was enabled, it would look like the image below with an icon.

View attachment 407384

Got it, thank you both. When I look on other sites it says there is a 100D and then there is a Long Range. I feel like different websites have different filters and make it complicated to shop for the correct vehicle.

To be exact I am looking for a 2019 Tesla Model X (with Long Range 325 Miles) for under $90,000.
It has been a long mission trying to find this. I have run into 2019 Tesla Model X Long Range w/ 295 miles a lot, which kind of throws me off and makes me want to lean towards a Mercedes.

100D=Long Range
P100D=Long Range Performance

The difference in range you see is likely the new, more efficient front drive unit in new cars built after sometime in mid April. I think the official date is May 1st. I’m on a train now so hopefully someone else can provide you with more details.