Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No such thing as an "additional glass replacement rider".. You either have Comprehensive (which covers all physical damage except collision), which includes glass, or not. You do have a choice of deductible on the Comprehensive and regardless of the deductible you can opt for FULL glass (no deductible) with most carriers in most states. The coverage will replace the windshield, no matter how big it is. I have to believe that once the carriers get some experience paying a fortune for these windshields they will raise the comprehensive rates substantially, or possibly refuse to insure MX's (not too likely). BTW, I am a retired NY insurance broker.

*** Sorry - forgot that I had already said this upthread. Forgive the duplicate post. won't let me delete it for some reason.

Last edited:
I am getting super high quotes too. I have 1 accident in last 5 years. Relatively minor. I am with USAA now and they want to increase me by $2800/yr over my Mercedes GL450. It doubles the insurance and makes it almost $6000. I got a quote from Geico for $3800, but something tells me they will jack it up within 60 days. I live in NYC, so i expect high rates. This is higher than expected and way higher than a Model S P90D. I am being told it's because there is no data on the car and that it should come down. I was really turned off by the hard sell of the Geico guy on the phone. I don't really want to go with them, but it's $1800 cheaper. It seems dumb not to go with them.

Just got my quote from my carrier - Ace. $500K Liability, $1,000 Deductible Comp & Coll, Full Glass (no deductible) $1,800 +/- per year. Much better than I expected. No under age drivers, clean driving records, no claims - preferred rating tier.

If you or your spouse are 55 (50?) or over, AARP has great rates. The best I've seen so far

Not necessarily - you need to shop it. They often don't use the best or least expensive carrier, but rather the one that kicks back more revenue to them. Same with their Medicare Supplement program. They can be competitive in some situations, but not always.

Just got my insurance on a fully loaded Founders X, $783 a year with Auto Owners 500K coverage, $500 ded

The devil is in the details. Originally I got a similar quote. But then I asked what the replacement value was. Because it wasn't in their system yet, my broker looked it up on the website and saw it as 80k. When I told him my car was 150k, the premium went up 2 1/2 times. So be aware.

I just talked to our MetLife Property and Casualty Insurance.

250/500 coverage $1000 deductible was $877 / 6 months

They could not look up the VIN but used the purchase price. They also said any amount over $100,000 needs to be manually reviewed by underwriting and I'll get a response within 5 days.

MetLife 'glass coverage' (Glass buyback) was another $46 / 6 months. So that covers windshield and you don't pay the deductible. Hmm. $1000/($46*2)=10.9 years so I said no but considered it.

Amica 'glass coverage' was another $246 / 12 months. $1000 / $246 = 4.06 years.

Last edited:
Their 'glass coverage' (Glass buyback) was another $46 / 6 months. So that covers windshield and you don't pay the deductible. Hmm. $1000/($46*2)=10.9 years so I said no.

Help me understand your calculation. I just replaced my second S windshield in the past 3 months, and they were $1,203.04. each, so I figured my X would be a no brainer.
Are you figuring that 1) the X windshield is cheaper than the S, and 2) you will not need to replace it more than once a decade?

Last edited:
I just talked to our MetLife Property and Casualty Insurance.

250/500 coverage $1000 deductible was $877 / 6 months

They could not look up the VIN but used the purchase price. They also said any amount over $100,000 needs to be manually reviewed by underwriting and I'll get a response within 5 days.

MetLife 'glass coverage' (Glass buyback) was another $46 / 6 months. So that covers windshield and you don't pay the deductible. Hmm. $1000/($46*2)=10.9 years so I said no but considered it.

Amica 'glass coverage' was another $246 / 12 months. $1000 / $246 = 4.06 years.
According to this post, a Model X replacement windshield is currently $3,800. Would that change your math?

Help me understand your calculation. I just replaced my second S windshield in the past 3 months, and they were $1,203.04. each, so I figured my X would be a no brainer.
Are you figuring that 1) the X windshield is cheaper than the S, and 2) you will not need to replace it more than once a decade?
I have not replaced a windshield in any of our 3 vehicles in 20 years that I recall. I have had a chip fixed but insurance covered it without a deductible.

According to this post, a Model X replacement windshield is currently $3,800. Would that change your math?
My thought was/is that even if the windshield is $3,800 that I would only have to pay the $1,000 deductible.

Now you guys have me thinking more about whether $46 (semi) is a pretty reasonable deal considering that is almost 11 years (equivalent to a $1000) deductible.

Perhaps the big factors is the types of roads you drive on and if it is "common" to have flying debris. I may be doing more roadtrips in the X than I have in the past. I certainly have had rocks bounce off my windshield quite a few times but without chips or cracks. Maybe I was just lucky and my luck may run out.

Perhaps the big factors is the types of roads you drive on and if it is "common" to have flying debris. I may be doing more roadtrips in the X than I have in the past. I certainly have had rocks bounce off my windshield quite a few times but without chips or cracks. Maybe I was just lucky and my luck may run out.

I hope the glass is better on the X. I don't think the second rock that cracked the windshield on the S would have even pitted the glass on my BMW.