Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Interior Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few people actually burst my bubble by saying that the X interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. Thoughts?

It is not a "luxury" vehicle. Where they take basically a Camry and plaster it with cheap leather and horrible looking wood and useless bells and whistles.

It is a real, state of the art innovative electric vehicle. First of its kind.

The way to look at it is:

It is an iPhone. Minimal design. Clean and crisp. World changing.

It is not a leather wrapped, gold painted rotary phone.

Reactions: madodel
It is not a "luxury" vehicle. Where they take basically a Camry and plaster it with cheap leather and horrible looking wood and useless bells and whistles.

It is a real, state of the art innovative electric vehicle. First of its kind.

The way to look at it is:

It is an iPhone. Minimal design. Clean and crisp. World changing.

It is not a leather wrapped, gold painted rotary phone.

But a Tesla interior is not iPhone's premium simplicity, every detail carefully obsessed over and manufactured to an exacting standard. Tesla interior is more like cheap Android with some mismatching parts from last year's version and wrapped in Chinese third-party leather cover.

There is nothing wrong with the simple design ethos of Tesla's interior, but the execution is seriously lacking. Model X five-seater is a good example of that.

Reactions: metier
I know that Mercedes provides a very impressive vehicle in their S-Class, but you still need to fill it up with smelly and environmentally poisonous gasoline or diesel every few days. :cool:

HeHaw!
A3FC147A-3FFC-4ACE-B349-766B23848548.JPG

But that gi-nourmous windshield certainly screams "high-end", despite the intense glare from the sun when above the level of the visor. For that, consider adding interior window tint everywhere for heat block, plus a darker "sunglass" tint above the visor level.
The visor can be angled to block out the sun pretty much anywhere where it is likely to cause glare! A problem I have is reflection in the screen caused by the sun on the top of the dash, even though it's dark grey Alcantara. I would consider polarising sunglasses but the last pair I had (now lost) made the satnav screen on my Discovery go black! Thoughts anyone?

The visor can be angled to block out the sun pretty much anywhere where it is likely to cause glare! A problem I have is reflection in the screen caused by the sun on the top of the dash, even though it's dark grey Alcantara. I would consider polarising sunglasses but the last pair I had (now lost) made the satnav screen on my Discovery go black! Thoughts anyone?
Slant your head just slightly and you should be able to read your sat-nav. With polarized lenses, if angle is slightly off horizontal, you'll be out-of-phase with the sat-nav and it will go black.

I have polarized lenses (Revo) and have had no issues seeing the screen. My sister was riding for a while in the passenger seat with some Maui Jim polarized lenses and had no trouble seeing anything on the screen either.

Polarized sunglasses are a must in my opinion, and in some vehicles, the polarity of the screen blocks out the image, but not in a Tesla.

My complaint is the glare from the screen in the upper windshield at night, almost need clear polarized glasses.

Polarized sunglasses are a must in my opinion, and in some vehicles, the polarity of the screen blocks out the image, but not in a Tesla.

My complaint is the glare from the screen in the upper windshield at night, almost need clear polarized glasses.
Unfortunately, the fact that they're polarized immediately means that half the light is blocked, hence you can never have clear polarized lenses.

Therefore, polarized lenses can't be the solution for night-time ghosting issues because they're too dark.

Reactions: Cowby
Unfortunately, the fact that they're polarized immediately means that half the light is blocked, hence you can never have clear polarized lenses.

Therefore, polarized lenses can't be the solution for night-time ghosting issues because they're too dark.

Vandacca, WHAT??? That's not how polarized glass works. The lines that make the polarization process work are so small, need a microscope to see them. Most of them are a light-enhancing yellow, fully functional for night driving.

I have plenty of almost clear polarized lenses for cameras.

Amazon.com : Knight Visor Polarized Anti Glare HD Night Vision Glasses for Driving - Sport Bike Riders Protection Sunglasses - With Flexible Frame and FREE Car Clip Holder - Designed in Milano Italy (Black Metal) : Sports & Outdoors

I follow you the other forum, you are typically brilliant... or are you just kidding me????

I get you a pair for Christmas...

Reactions: madodel
Vandacca, WHAT??? That's not how polarized glass works. The lines that make the polarization process work are so small, need a microscope to see them. Most of them are a light-enhancing yellow, fully functional for night driving.

Amazon.com : Knight Visor Polarized Anti Glare HD Night Vision Glasses for Driving - Sport Bike Riders Protection Sunglasses - With Flexible Frame and FREE Car Clip Holder - Designed in Milano Italy (Black Metal) : Sports & Outdoors

I follow you the other forum, you are typically brilliant... or are you just kidding me????

Yeah don't bother sending me a pair for xmas, they don't work. However, a "Polarizing Filter" does exactly that. It filters out all light that is not aligned with the polarizing filter. That's why you can rotate those lenses 90º and some screens go black (screen is out-of-phase with lenses).

About 6 months ago I did an extensive search on Amazon for polarized glasses and none of those yellow tinted glasses were actually polarized. All false advertising (be aware). If you have a pair of true polarized glasses and these yellow tint glasses, check out any modern car's rear window (with polarized film). You'll see a checkered patterned with the polarized glasses, and nothing with those yellow tinted glass.

Sorry.

I fell for this concept, too. But, unfortunately, the yellow tint does reduce the amount of light which reaches your eyes, decreasing visibility.

Shedding Some Light on Night Driving Challenges and Solutions, Part 2

My mom just observed today, when sitting in the second row, that there are no hooks for dry cleaning and no grab handles above the rear door windows. Then my dad kept standing in front of the FWD waiting for me to open them, and I had to instruct him to stand away or else the sensors wouldn't allow the door to open properly.

I love the car, but it does have a lot of quirks which non-Tesla fans find make no sense for a car. OK, the FWD are cool so I'll forgive the extra complications, but I do think the front doors should have been simplified without the fancy closing latches and motors to open and close them. I just feel that there's a high chance that they will fail at some point.

I mentioned these in another thread... if you have a Costco nearby, you might see if you could borrow their sample for a minute and try it out on the screen: Transitions Drivewear I love them and they work great on everything I've tested them on (but haven't had a chance to test on a Tesla yet). We're trying to do an overnight demo in a week or so, and I'll definitely test them thoroughly then.

My mom just observed today, when sitting in the second row, that there are no hooks for dry cleaning and no grab handles above the rear door windows. Then my dad kept standing in front of the FWD waiting for me to open them, and I had to instruct him to stand away or else the sensors wouldn't allow the door to open properly.

I love the car, but it does have a lot of quirks which non-Tesla fans find make no sense for a car. OK, the FWD are cool so I'll forgive the extra complications, but I do think the front doors should have been simplified without the fancy closing latches and motors to open and close them. I just feel that there's a high chance that they will fail at some point.

If it helps, not even Model S without falcon wings has coat hooks or grab handles... :) Yeah, Tesla's are very short on practicality a lot of them time, unfortunately...

Has anyone tested, by the way, if the Evannex or other after-market coat hooks work with the Model X? I get it that the falcon wings going up would also lift up any coats, so one would have to be careful, but theoretically...?