Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Issues and Answers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggesting a sticky thread of interesting issues that have been encountered with the Model X.

Here's my two:

1. Charge port would not open when I pressed the front of it.
There is a small "bumper" in the front corner of the charge port. That is where the switch for the press to open function resides. It is adjustable! The car had left factory with the switch turned to the farthest outer adjustment which blocks the switch fron working. The tech twisted this little grey stud and now the port opens when I press it.​

2. Software update failed twice in a row. Service states:
The connector on the right falcon door inductive sensor is unplugged and the left falcon door rear pinch strip had a poor connection at the connector. This caused the firmware to fail. Connected both connectors and loaded latest firmware 2.26.150 with no failures.​

Air Conditioning poor, cooling resources redirected to cool high voltage battery. From user Gravity:

Last monday going from Phoenix to san diego, it was 125 at the el centro supercharger when we stopped there, was plugged in for about an hour while we ate. Used the app to have the ac on well before we had to leave, but the ac blew nothing but hot air for about 45 min, and had an alert for awhile that said the battery was redirecting resources to cool the battery. When we head back we will try to avoid a long time plugged in at superchargers in extreme temps and perhaps let it sit a bit after unplugging it.. Have a service appt set up for when we are back. Its a model x 90d.

The service center pulled the logs from when the issue happened and wanted to bring the car in because this shouldnt ever happen. they found that the A/C lines were installed incorrectly at the factory. they fixed this, and now the A/C works great. It used to work ok and i just thought that was how it was supposed to be, but now its noticeably better. The car cools much quicker than it used to, the auto temperature setting is much more effective and i'd be surprised if there were any issues in extreme heat again.

More on AC issues from DrComputer:

There are two known issues with the Model X A/C that the service center should check. Here's what they wrote in the service notes.

Corrections: Cabin HVAC General Diagnosis
This MX was flagged as having High Refrigerant Discharger Pressure
(THC_w0253_rfrgDisPressHi warning). The discharge pressure can be high if the A/C
condenser lines weren't installed correctly.
Verified A/C lines are installed incorrectly at Condenser. Lines need to be swapped so
that the Compressor Discharge Line is mounted on the top of Condenser.
Corrections: Condenser
Removed and replaced condenser. Recharged AC system
Part Quantity
MX COOLING FAN MODULE (1031401-00-E) 1

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd

There are two known issues with the Model X A/C that the service center should check. Here's what they wrote in the service notes.

(THC_w0253_rfrgDisPressHi warning). The discharge pressure can be high if the A/C
Verified A/C lines are installed incorrectly at Condenser. Lines need to be swapped so
Part Quantity

Please note that this exact same solution (swap lower/upper) corrected a low speed (15-20 mph) rattle type noise. The lower A/C line contacted the sway bar.

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
My most recent set of issues:

1. Driver-side window rattles - makes the inside noisy; some water leakage at the car wash
2. Navigation location destination flag on the driver console (not the center 17" screen) is always on the wrong side of the road - first world problems, but should be an easy fix. The 17" screen map flag is always correct btw.
3. Recently, my 3rd row of seats will not unlock+flip back up - had to renege an offer to give some folks a ride because of this; must be a software issue (?) because i haven't had this problem before
4. My car alignment pulls to the right (into the right lane) - had to take the car in once already to fix this; they couldn't figure out, but switching the wheels fixed the problem. It's happening again, same side which makes me think it's something with the autopilot or steering wheel calibration.
5. My driver's side door has gone schizophrenic after the last software update (2.21.60?) - i was in the back seat with my kid and for 20 mins, the door would open and close multiple times a minute. This didn't happen before
6. The same update is affecting the falcon wing doors too - they are detecting obstacles that aren't there, and being finicky on open close (requiring multiple open/close touches).

Anyways, mostly first world problems, but since most of these are software-related, I'm hoping they get resolved soon. I'm taking the car into the shop next week just in case.

For ref: Model X Signature #764

Oh i almost forgot, the most annoying of all:

7. The rear trunk does not open fully anymore! - even when the location is set to full open, the trunk stops short. Really frustrating since i've banged my head on it 20 times already
I believe the location setting applies only to the FWDs. Perhaps your trunk is set to only open so far? Manually raise then press and hold the close button until it beeps to remember the new height.

Reactions: FarmerDave

Part Quantity
I would imagine this is something that has been resolved with later models at the factory?