Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-X life-hacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note I had some quality time yesterday with the Model 3 phone doc and I must say it is in a much better position than the MX but still suffers from the same basic connection issue.

I just use the short cord directly in the USB connector loose and let my phone flop around. And when my wife is with me we have to swap cables because she is iPhone and I am Android. The Model 3 has side by side placement so you can live in the mixed world.:)

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I wonder if this Topfit Accessory would prevent cards from sliding into the abyss? At this price I'm not sure I'd buy one for myself, but if I get one for xmas, I'll let you know what I think.
81cOYixoKcL._SL1500_.jpg
FYI: After having to pull my console apart to get to a lost credit card, I did end up buying the above accessory. I modified it slightly by using 3M tape to connect a strip of foam weatherstripping (exact same width as console door) to the bottom of this accessory. It now prevents any cards from sliding into the abyss.

I hope this can help others from having to pull apart their consoles.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
It may be here somewhere but for our 3 which GF uses as daily driver, first I ordered a second lightning cord to replace the USB-C one and then found neither of us want to keep phones in the dock.

So I removed both of them, use one for the dashcam mini-USB, and plugged in a normal black lightning cable from Monoprice for her to use when stopped at lights, etc. She can lay the phone on the non-skid mat when not using it. Works great. And if I’m in the passenger seat, I can plug in to the back row.

PS: I’d rather have a ProClip mount but I’m not sure if or when they will ever make one for the 3 as it’s hard to snap one in anywhere!

I just got back from Symbiosis Gathering, a music festival in the middle of hot California. We danced until late in the night and slept in until well after sunrise. If you've ever done this, you know how hot your tent can get once the sun comes up, even in shade. Well, problem solved with the Model X (and I suppose Model S, too). Behold a $30 Do It Yourself tent AC using the Model X climate control. Here is how:

Buy an $18 flexible/collapsible dryer vent hose and an L-shaped connector (and some gorilla tape). Check out pictures below and you can see how to do it:

Mold the opening of the L connector to match the right driver's side air vent (use clamps and pliers)
Tape over the edges of the L connector opening
Connect the dryer vent hose to other end of L connector
Expand the hose out the partially open driver's window
Mark, then cut an opening in the vent hose over the left driver's vent and shape some cardboard around vent, extending to the cut hose opening.
Tape the cardboard to the vent hose
Wedge apparatus with steering column to its highest and closest setting. Make tighter with a towel.
Use painter's tape for better seal at the vents if you want
Seal the driver's window with come cardboard
Close all the other vents in the car and turn off rear climate control
Set fan manually to high setting on front climate control
Snake the dryer vent into your tent
When you need it, use your smart phone to turn on AC in climate control tab of your Tesla App.

There you have a super quiet and strong air conditioning with no loud stinky generator. Over 4 days, I used it for about 5 hours worth and used 15 miles of range. 3 miles of range per hour use is very efficient. AC turns off after about an hour. Just restart it if needed.

WTH...

It may be here somewhere but for our 3 which GF uses as daily driver, first I ordered a second lightning cord to replace the USB-C one and then found neither of us want to keep phones in the dock.

So I removed both of them, use one for the dashcam mini-USB, and plugged in a normal black lightning cable from Monoprice for her to use when stopped at lights, etc. She can lay the phone on the non-skid mat when not using it. Works great. And if I’m in the passenger seat, I can plug in to the back row.

PS: I’d rather have a ProClip mount but I’m not sure if or when they will ever make one for the 3 as it’s hard to snap one in anywhere!

Why not install Qi charging? Works great in our 3. I ended up getting the Jeda and while it is not fast charging at least the phone gets some charge whenever it is sitting on the rubber mat. Wish my S and X had something like this, can't give up the big cup holders though.

Why not install Qi charging? Works great in our 3. I ended up getting the Jeda and while it is not fast charging at least the phone gets some charge whenever it is sitting on the rubber mat. Wish my S and X had something like this, can't give up the big cup holders though.
Everyone seems to love wireless charging. Never see the point. Need to put the phone in a particular spot and be sure it stays there, right? And it’s not as efficient? If it worked anywhere on the lad, great, but I’ve not seen that yet.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem so far. Like the car wireless charging.

Reactions: scottf200
Everyone seems to love wireless charging. Never see the point. Need to put the phone in a particular spot and be sure it stays there, right? And it’s not as efficient? If it worked anywhere on the lad, great, but I’ve not seen that yet.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem so far. Like the car wireless charging.

I can understand that, but in this case in the Model 3 you just put the phone in the same spot you put it without a charger installed and it charges the phone. Have not had any issues with fussy positioning, just put it on either side and it charges. The design of the Model 3 phone position is just ideal for wireless charging, really surprised they did not just include it.

I would also be the first to buy a car induction charger for the garage too, if I could get one :)

I have PUP but there’s no light in the console so added a USB port cluster and a USB light stick. An upgrade would be to get a dimmable light; this prototype version is too bright (so I just turn it towards the inner wall a bit more)
View attachment 188438 View attachment 188439

I have that same usb hub, use it in the front so i can use dashcam drive/interior lighting and still have ports. The power toggles are convienant for turning both the light and dashcam off/on

Can you show a photo of your set up please and what you're using specifically? I'd like to do something similar to this as well. Thanks!
15422502179078427440819002894229.jpg
first usb, goes to the usb "data" hub, the 2nd goes to the wireless charger tray, the usb hub has the dashcam drive, and backseat lighting plugged into it, i often add more drives so i switch between them at the press of a button for dashcam.
15422504163243101801619944912919.jpg
hard to see the lighting with this pic, but thats the back seat, 2 strips behind 2nd row seats, 2 strips below middle console (front)

And just for fun..
Flux Capacitor.. fluxing...
20181114_184807.jpg
20181114_184757.jpg

Attachments

• 20181114_184803.jpg
    20181114_184803.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 35
View attachment 352719first usb, goes to the usb "data" hub, the 2nd goes to the wireless charger tray, the usb hub has the dashcam drive, and backseat lighting plugged into it, i often add more drives so i switch between them at the press of a button for dashcam.View attachment 352721hard to see the lighting with this pic, but thats the back seat, 2 strips behind 2nd row seats, 2 strips below middle console (front)

And just for fun..
Flux Capacitor.. fluxing...
View attachment 352722 View attachment 352724

Awesome thank you. Do you also have a light inside the area between the driver and passenger? What kind of light are you using?

Awesome thank you. Do you also have a light inside the area between the driver and passenger? What kind of light are you using?
I cant remember the "brand" off hand but i searched "car led lighting" on amazon, and got 2 sets (different brands) one with an app to change colors/bluetooth one with just remote.

The bluetooth one was far superior, spend the extra 10$ or so difference, i ended up throwing other away.

I did not put one between driver/pass, but it does have them behind that console. I did originally plan on adding them under all seats, but didnt.
Reason being:
I also bought the interior light upgrade to replace the factory lights, and they are so much brighter that the "mood" led wasnt visible. Mainly due to the switched out floor light for driver/pass

Speaking of lightning, my most mentioned lighting is my Welcome/Puddle light logo
15423279385696517268477887083106.jpg
1542327991397997333133312026871.jpg