Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mirror!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It's Mobileye. Here's a the detailed presentation. The entire 38 minutes is worth watching. However, the more advanced technology is demonstrated at the 23:00 mark. And the comment that a "manufacturer" will have this technology in their car in Q3 2015 is at the 28:00 Mark:

The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube

It is also worth noting that if the Model X has this technology, it will require multiple cameras (for depth monitoring), which the current Model S lineup does not have.

Last edited:
It's Mobileye. Here's a the detailed presentation. The entire 38 minutes is worth watching. However, the more advanced technology is demonstrated at the 23:00 mark. And the comment that a "manufacturer" will have this technology in their car in Q3 2015 is at the 28:00 Mark:

The Future of Computer Vision and Automated Driving by Prof. Amnon Shashua - YouTube

It is also worth noting that if the Model X has this technology, it will require multiple cameras (for depth monitoring), which the current Model S lineup does not.

It is also worth noting that the YouTube link you post and comment thread is full of speculation about the level of co-operation between nVidia DRIVE PX and Mobileye and running the same concepts/software/whatnot. There are some company-related experts nodding and providing detail.

But most importantly even has nVidia posting this comment!

We realize that our CES demo of deep learning for auto-piloted cars amazed Professor Shashua. Many were amazed at what we showed. And it all ran on NVIDIA technology.

The demo introduced NVIDIA DRIVE PX, our auto-pilot car computer.

Of course this thread is all about the extra cameras on Model X mules, which are in the DRIVE PX marked locations, but of course could be run by some other chip as well:

attachment.php?attachmentid=76871&d=1428086545.jpg

Thanks for sharing the Model S catch.

The latest black Model X mule does not show the suspect cameras:
Model X Mule Sightings - Page 37

That's not necessarily true. Two cameras are typically mounted in front of the review mirror (the current Model S line up has one). Mobileye typically positions the Sideview cameras by the head lights. And the rear camera will most likely replace the current "dumb" back up camera with a Smart camera. The most recent Model X screen shots do not display enough detail to determine it either way.

That's not necessarily true. Two cameras are typically mounted in front of the review mirror (the current Model S line up has one). Mobileye typically positions the Sideview cameras by the head lights. And the rear camera will most likely replace the current "dumb" back up camera with a Smart camera. The most recent Model X screen shots do not display enough detail to determine it either way.

My point was, the B pillar and fog light cameras are not there on this mule, or so it seems - and this mule has a rear view mirror. This is in contrast to the white-clad mule that had all-around cameras in DRIVE PX locations (B pillar and fog light area) and no rear view mirror.

So, I think if this is proof of anything, Tesla is testing cars without the camera suite we've seen before. They, of course, may still have the regular auto-pilot camera looking forward.

Perhaps the all-around camera is an option (or coming later) and this latest mule doesn't have that.

If that is indeed testing a future Tesla auto-pilot, be it based on DRIVE PX or Mobileye, or even both (there is talk DRIVE PX could run Mobileye software), here is a wildly speculative guess on what the elements might be:

model_s_camera_setup.jpg

Some of those cameras don't seem to be placed logically, which might suggest they are meant to go outside once the driving starts. It is also possible the cameras marked as front bumper cameras could be side cameras of some sort. Just a guess.

I wonder if there are pictures of the front bumper, sides and rear window of this Model S "mule"? It would be interesting to see if there are more cameras.

OK, so apparently there ARE lots more pictures of this Model S "mule". Big thanks to the poster/taker of them!

- Album on Imgur

Compare to the DRIVE PX camera setup - of course there could be many ways to position the cameras in practice, I'm sure:

attachment.php?attachmentid=76869&d=1428086422.jpg

Showing a very clear "rear view mirror" replacement camera on the back, however there are also side (C pillar) and other areas where the cameras differ from that layout above. OIn the bumpers, around fog lights, there is a suspect square but it could be just dirt.

There are at least 8-9 cameras on this car (DRIVE PX allows 12). How many do the latest Mobileye chips run?

model_s_camera_setup_2.jpg

It also shows all the three separate cameras in front "shooting" to the front, not towards the driver. Of course a driver-pointing camera could be behind the stereo forward camera setup - if one exists at all.

If someone wants to research this being the 3rd iteration Mobileye instead of DRIVE PX, the latest Audi Q7 is supposed to have that, so feel free to check its frontal camera setup for example! I haven't gotten around to that yet.

The one in the top right corner labeled driver monitoring is actually pointed out towards the corner.

Agreed, I noted that later too. At the time I hadn't seen the wider image. If there is anything pointed at the driver, it isn't showing in these photos.

There is a tell-tale mules shut-off button in the images that show part of the interior, so seems like a manufacturer mule of some sort...

A couple of Elon Musk video point with nVidia - time points to check about limits of current Model S platform and future needs:

GTC 2015: NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang Interviews Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk (part 9) - YouTube

- 6:30
- 15:00

It could be something else than DRIVE PX - this video from DRIVE PX launch makes, in my mind, pretty clear that there is an extended sensor suite and more processing power coming to Tesla's - but what it is and when it will be, who knows. However, it is not conclusive it would be necessarily be DRIVE PX.

nVidia PR: That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.

If it were Mobileye EyeQ3, here are some general notes on that:

Surround View Systems - Mobileye

Processing Platforms - Mobileye

Also on TMC:

Mobileye and Tesla working together?

I would assume current Model S has the EyeQ2 or EyeQ3?

What I haven't been able to figure out is what relationship nVidia and Mobileye may have, have either's hardware and software been integrated vice-versa or what is going on there.

For example, on this Mobileye related video nVidia DRIVE PX is mentioned in the YouTube comments many times, even nVidia participates:

Tesla is mentioned around 6:10 and at 13:00.

A good post by DaveT:

Alright I did some more research on Mobileye and this is what I found out.

Originally, I was under the impression that Mobileye relied on STMicroelectronics to make the chips that process the images to look for moving objects (and annotate moving objects as geometric shapes that can be quickly interpreted by whatever software program). However, after reading more it looks like Mobileye is doing two main things:
1. They've designed a vision-processor System-On-Chip together with STMicroelectronics, Mobileye and STMicroelectronics Deploy One-Millionth Driver Safety Device . This is the chip inside the camera that processes the images and translates moving objects into geometric shapes. They've released the EyeQ1 and the EyeQ2 chips and they are currently working on the EyeQ3 chip.
2. They've designed software to analyze the output of their EyeQ chips and integrate it into a driver safety system, ie., their Mobileye 560 product

Now a lot of OEMs have integrated Mobileye's EyeQ1 and EyeQ2 chips into their cars to provide for lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, etc. My guess is that Mobileye is providing them with their EyeQ2 chip (probably bundled with a camera) and also is providing some software on top of that as well to integrate into safety features. I also think OEMs can just buy the EyeQ2 chip and then provide their own software to build their own safety systems as well. It's up to the OEMs.

It looks like Mobileye will be releasing their EyeQ3 SoC soon. Here's a very informative article on it: http://can-newsletter.org/uploads/media/raw/5b1ebaa50b50a1e7fa4b6043de56dd5f.pdf

The same article link also shows an eyetracking system Mobileye has developed, which I think Tesla could use as well.

So, my speculation is that Tesla is going to use Mobileye's EyeQ3 chip and camera system, as well as their Eyetracking module as well. Then, rather than relying on the software safety system the Mobileye is building on top of the EyeQ3 chip, Tesla is choosing to build their own software system. So, Tesla's cars will take the data from the EyeQ3 chip/camera system and interpret it, and basically create their own autopilot system.

To oversimplify it, I think Tesla will use Mobileye's hardware (video-processor chip and camera system) but will develop their own software for their auto pilot system.

Last edited:
Continue previous:

- "A car manufacturer" mentioned around 28:30
- 28:55 mentions EyeQ3 on Tesla last year and Audi Q7
- At 29:40 two Tegra X1 chipped design is shown, to be launched in 2016 on Audi
- DRIVE PX has an EyeQ3 on card around 30:00
- Tegra X1 used for parking (advanced all-around view video processing?)
- Comparison of EyeQ3 and Tegra X1 starting around 30:30
- EyeQ4 mentioned 34:00 coming out as samples in October this year

He does not mention DRIVE PX itself, but talks only of Tegra X1 which DRIVE PX has two.

I think it seems likely Model X has both nVidia and Mobileye chip(s). The big question, how do they differ from what is in Model S at the moment...

The YouTube thread has interesting debate on nVidia vs. Mobileye.

It seems to be unclear how much, if any, Mobileye software/hardware is present in Drive PX. Prof. Shashua says in that video that the NVidia's demo was actually running on EyeQ hardware. Danny Shapiro, who seems to be NVidia's Senior Director of Automotive, says it was running on a Tegra X1, but he doesn't say if the software was all or partly Mobileye's. It looks awfully similar to what Mobileye shows in their video.

From https://plus.google.com/wm/4/104775673788613058876/posts/6S71BTiU4vH
To set the record straight, the NVIDIA CES deep learning demos used the NVIDIA DRIVE PX auto-pilot computer powered exclusively by Tegra X1.

Audi ZFAS has NVIDIA Tegra K1 and Mobileye. NVIDIA DRIVE PX which was shown at CES has two NVIDIA Tegra X1 and NO Mobileye.

favo: Good points/questions. I got the impression that Mobileye chip is being used in conjunction with nVidia's Tegra by many applications, including at least Audi's dual-Tegra K1 setup. It also seems nVidia may be with DRIVE PX aiming at doing the same thing as Mobileye's hardware has been doing so far, in color rather than black and white. I felt a bit of competitive zing there in the presentation and YouTube comments...

Currently I'm leaning on Tesla using Mobileye with many cameras and upgraded nVidia Tegra on Model X (better than current Model S) but not necessarily DRIVE PX.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting comment explaining the relationship of older Tegra and Mobileye:

Juan Fco. Calero1 month ago
+Danny Shapiro Interesting stuff. However, as far as I understand, Tegra K1 is not ASIL rated (just QM), and therefore is just delivering surround camera rendering in zFAS, while EyeQ3 is in charge of the safety related image processing. Has it changed for DRIVE PX or is it just doing automated driving at research level with no chance for future series production (at least on this platform)?

Danny Shapiro3 months ago
I have seen the video and can assure you that the NVIDIA DRIVE PX does not have a Mobileye chip on it. Because the professor says it and annotates a Powerpoint slide, does not make it true. There is one however on the Audi ZFAS board along with our Tegra K1. Based on the work we do with Audi, I believe an erroneous assumption was made about the DRIVE PX solution. Our deep learning demos and DRIVE PX will be on display at the GPU Technology Conference in San Jose this March. Please join us.

Last edited:
Their lenses do look awfully similar to the Model S rear view camera, though? Could be any kind of testing rig, no?
The white cams have a logitech logo, and look identical to the 930e. There's no doubt they have other driving tech related cams (especially the center stack, which looks like a stereo setup), but I can't imagine Tesla testing their driving algorithms using off-the-shelf webcams for various technical reasons.

The white cams have a logitech logo, and look identical to the 930e. There's no doubt they have other driving tech related cams (especially the center stack, which looks like a stereo setup), but I can't imagine Tesla testing their driving algorithms using off-the-shelf webcams for various technical reasons.

They definitely look like off-the-shelf Logitech cameras. My point was, could they be comparable enough for Tesla to use in testing whatever all-around rigging they are doing, be it using Mobileye or DRIVE PX or Tegra K1 or other all-around-capable technology. If they are 2MP cameras they could suffice for early testing?