TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Mule Sightings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Paul Carter, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

LOL. Gosh I may have to setup camp next to a bent highway sign to get something more juicy. On another note, the GPU is having difficulty with my Southern White Pine. I'm almost afraid to try it on some northern mountain pine that has been affected by the mountain pine beetle. We literately will have to get the bugs out of that.

2. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

There are no concerns over cannibalization of sales. When you compare sales of high end SUVs/CUVs to their brand siblings that are sedans, the bigguns win, hands down. Cayenne outsells Panamera. X5 outsells 7-Series. Q7 outsells A8. RX outsells LS. This is typically at least 2:1, and often as much as 3:1 or 4:1. In terms of worldwide sales, expect Model S to reach around 50,000+ per year and Model X to climb to perhaps 150,000 per year. The highest percentage of Model X will be sold in North America.

3. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

I sure hope they aren't just realizing this. I know I have posted this concern long time back (somewhere buried in the 'Model X Falcon Doors' thread). I certainly couldn't have been the only one with this concer/questionn.

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a European perspective talking, but I'm not sure if that is the correct comparison (excluding Porsche). I wouldn't compare Q7 sales to A8 sales, for example.

Audi and BMW compare Q7 and X5 more to A6 and the 5 series than to A8 and the 7 series, this is evident both in length, features and naming - hence the numbers too Q7's 7 beneath A8, X5's 5 same as 5 Series. They are planning (for China) even bigger and luxurious SUVs that would compare more with A8/7 Series level...

As for sedan vs. SUV sales, those of course depend a lot on the region, but A6 and 5 Series do sell quite a bit more than A8 and 7 Series anywhere. Same with Q7 and X5 of course.

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I just did a scan of the posts here and it has been 95 posts since there has been an actual of a Model X spotting and a fresh picture posted, Model X Mule Spottings - Page 11.

Let's see more pictures of the Model X!

6. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I trust in Bonnie so maybe all testing is really done:smile: Or maybe not, we'll just have to wait and see!

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

The problem with waiting so long is that your expectations build and I'm afraid that when I do see the production Model X I will be somewhat deflated. I hope that is not the case.

8. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

I hate suv's with a passion and I have a feeling the Model X is gonna make me want to trade our S in on it.

9. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Its only day 1166. My cake for hitting the max button has since fully decomposed. Don't know how I'll react when I first get the email to configure. I guess I'll start with first searching for a phishing attempt. LOL.

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

There won't be a "max" button for the X. It'll be a "Sooner" button. It nudges you slightly afore the queue, but there are no metrics. So while everyone else gets it soon, you'll get it sooner. That's the only promise.

11. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

#211 qwertzy, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Crash avoidance

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#212 AnOutsider, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Good to see another legit spotting. It does look like some sort of collision avoidance, but I guess it could also have been an over-tired/bored driver, or maybe he was just swerving to test stability.

13. yngwie_2012

yngwie_2012 Member

Is it just me or does the model x look sportier and more flat compared to before??

14. Dutchie

Dutchie Active Member

i noticed that too. Looks great!

15. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Automatic lane-keeping test? Or maybe was just waving at the camera.

16. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Looked like an automatic lane keeping test. And it was being done just prior to and during the exit from the freeway. Pretty impressive if that is what was actually going on. The car was in the "exit only" lane for a good bit before exiting. And even after exiting, the driver looked to be trying to get the car to go over the solid white line on the right.

RT

17. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

What stuck out to me was the lack of damage behind the front left wheel, better alignment of the doors, and the blacked out area of windshield where one would expect a mirror to mount.

18. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Wow, cool, finally another sighting. I think the driver realizes he is being filmed (shortly glances in the direction of the camera in the beginning of the video), so I don´t think whatever we are seeing happened by accident. I think it is in fact the extension of the vibrating steering wheel (that the Model S has now) when you get to the side your lane: just steer back into the lane automatically.

19. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Screen shot 2015-04-21 at 10.17.25 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-04-21 at 10.15.22 PM.png

New pic looks better, but not that much to find if you look for actual differences... the black stripe at the lower edge seems to be gone, but could also be invisible because of the lighting.

- - - Updated - - -

...how could I miss that: no plaid shirt this time :)!

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#220 NigelM, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    It's the exact same car..... even the black stripe is still there, and note the (infamous) LCD/transparent/aluminum A pillar.

Even the cuts/misalignment around the headlight/hood are identical:
    Untitled2.jpg Untitled.jpg