Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bet is what we see is what we get. There is some camo, yes, but nothing too drastic.. It's not like on reveal day Elon going to walk up and rip the sheet off the car, revealing something like this.
No, this is the car, more or less. Slight nose job, slight tail lift, but I'd say more then 95% of the car is clearly visible. 98%. And the dash will essentially be the same as the Model S dash, like 90% identical.

I wager NigelM and Bonnie a Matchbox Model S. (Which is apparently on the same shipping schedule as the Model X, so who knows when we will see them on shelves.)

I already have both a Matchbox Model S and also the Hotwheels Model S. You're going to have to up your game. :)

I already have both a Matchbox Model S and also the Hotwheels Model S. You're going to have to up your game. :)

Bah! Where did you acquire this unicorn!? I've been searching all over!

/edit Searching for the Matchbox Model S, the hot wheels one looks too out there..

/edit 2 How about we wager for the Matchbox Model X that we know is sure to come at some point? (may take a year or 2)

Unless you are in the camp that believes the final model X has been shown (These mule sightings). Some people just can't believe that's what it really looks like. :cool:

Or those people have been around long enough to know that when Elon publicly states the X won't be revealed until the first is delivered, then it won't be. After he makes a statement like that, employees aren't about to go cruising around Palo Alto, waving at cameras. :)

Just my opinion, of course. The interesting thing about this particular *discussion* is that we'll all know soon enough if this forum has been led down the proverbial garden path of speculation or not.

The interesting thing about this particular *discussion* is that we'll all know soon enough if this forum has been led down the proverbial garden path of speculation or not.

Totally agree, which makes it fun. I guess really the question is: Just how radically different from the mules/demo vehicle we have seen do you expect the final product to be? Radically different? Modestly different? Essentially the exact same?
I'm interested in how economies of scale will play into this CUV. For example how much of the proven MS interior dash will be in the final product of the MX. It's a way to save money because, business is business. The X isn't a new platform (as different as it is), so they should be using the tech, tools, and knowhow as much as possible from the MS while maintaining profitability.

Unless you are in the camp that believes the final model X has been shown (These mule sightings). Some people just can't believe that's what it really looks like. :cool:

Perhaps some folks just can't believe that what they've seen are test mules and not the final car. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

...when Elon publicly states the X won't be revealed until the first is delivered, then it won't be. After he makes a statement like that, employees aren't about to go cruising around Palo Alto, waving at cameras. :)

Exactly. I don't think Elon's not going to pull the cover off at a reveal and show us all the car that TMCers and spy websites have been dissecting for 1/2 a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in how economies of scale will play into this CUV. For example how much of the proven MS interior dash will be in the final product of the MX. It's a way to save money because, business is business. The X isn't a new platform (as different as it is), so they should be using the tech, tools, and knowhow as much as possible from the MS while maintaining profitability.

Consider the possibility that your thinking could be backwards. The Model X interior could be quite different, even radical, and then Tesla can update Model S to get the economies of scale.

Totally agree, which makes it fun. I guess really the question is: Just how radically different from the mules/demo vehicle we have seen do you expect the final product to be? Radically different? Modestly different? Essentially the exact same?

Indeed. It is all and well to suggest we have or have not seen the production Model X. That's a given. Not even someone claiming this to be the final car can mean it literally (well, not unless they're completely ignorant), since obviously the cars are missing trim and are in a camo-wrap.

The much more interesting question - and the one far fewer people seem to be willing to post their views on ;) - is, as you put it: Just how radically different from the mules/demo vehicle we have seen do you expect the final product to be? Radically different? Modestly different? Essentially the exact same?

It is easy to claim these cars are not final. Much harder to say how far from final.

- - - Updated - - -

That's just an artifact of the camera shutter, not visible in-person (temporal aliasing).

It does suggest the rear-lights are LED, though, although that's a given I guess.

I don't know if this is 'radically different' or 'moderate' - but I'm happy to state that I don't believe that we'll see any of the current body panels reused in the final. And by that, to be very specific, I don't believe that any panel we see could be swapped for a body panel on the final Model X and come close to fitting. Not talking 'gaps'. Just won't fit.

To further clarify, this has nothing to do with how close Tesla is to producing the Model X. It has everything to do with how seriously they take an edict from Elon that it will be kept secret. Would you be 'that guy that used to work here because he was in the new vehicle, out waving at photographers'? :) Nothing is leaking. That tells me a lot.

It is easy to claim these cars are not final.

On the contrary, some folks try to bully dissenting opinions into engaging (which means it's actually easier to engage in the pixel level dissection). A couple of pages back it was stated that these mules were 95% the final car, I doubt that very much but it's impossible to speculate on what the true percentage may be because the final car hasn't been seen.

i'm curious as to your top level view on Tesla/Elon saying the car won't be revealed until delivery ready but at the same time have cars driving around waving at the camera. How do you explain that?