Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the testing at this stage have nothing to do with charging to the Vehicle, rather software tweeks, mesurements to get the right data for EPA, NEDC miles, Autopiloten stuff and most importan driving 1000 of miles to verify everything is OK.
The panel tweeking, testing of the aerodynamic, crash tests, roll over..... Is not done on public roads and ready months ago in closed facilities. (Some of the Beta is proberly crashed and burned months ago, for testing purposes.)
And quite normal to se mules/betas all the way up to delivery, guess they would like to have the software ready when the first cars is delivered, not the same problem as D cars where the torque sleep was not ready and energy consume did not match the Custmers measurements.
Remember Tesla is not as other cars, software is also changed, tuned after delivery.
We also need teesers.

Sorry to say this but this is starting to get ridiculous. There are still mules driving around and they are still testing!?!? The first MX's are to be delivered in 1.5 months. If they are still testing, how on earth are they going to that? Production line has to be build-up for Tesla and its suppliers, pricing all the approvals from various government agencies...

I would not be surprised I'd they have some huge difficulties with this car and I would not be surprised if another delay is coming, in fact; I would be vey surprised if there would not be a delay. In the mean time no news what so ever from Tesla or Elon.
(Sorry I had to get this off my chest...)
I'm not sure where you get that idea. Car manufacturers routinely run test vehicles even after the production line is running for that vehicle. The only difference is that Tesla's is still camouflaged this late in the game because Elon has indicated they aren't unveiling the production version until release to customers. Most manufacturers unveil their final design at least 3 months before release to customers.

You realize you are basically looking at the production version of the X in all these pics/video's right? I mean there will be some small adjustments to the trim, but for all intents and purposes we have seen the final car. It's not going to drastically change this close to launch. If there is another delay, (long one) perhaps there will be, but I'd wager we are looking at a 95% complete X.

You realize you are basically looking at the production version of the X in all these pics/video's right? I mean there will be some small adjustments to the trim, but for all intents and purposes we have seen the final car. It's not going to drastically change this close to launch. If there is another delay, (long one) perhaps there will be, but I'd wager we are looking at a 95% complete X.

Probably true, but that still does not mean these mules couldn't be missing some final parts and especially hide certain future features still. We can - and you know I do ;) - try and decipher features from these mules, but it won't reveal things that may still be hidden in labs like some final decorative parts or optional features not installed on these mules. Also, these mules still have varying degrees of camo.

Driver has no checkered shirt and is making weird hand gestures. :)

Maybe not the driver, but the guy next to him? :wink:

CheckeredGuy.jpg

I manage to get a checked shirt, behind my wifes back, so I have something to drive my X in. (I would never get a permission to use or own one.)
If I get a early delivery it is posible they have forgotten to remove the, checked shirt protection and the car will not move.
Thats what the inside camera is for, checked shirt detection.

I'll take that wager. I think that Tesla has been road testing various components and FW but the real Model X is still under wraps. Elon would be stupid to insist on no reveal until deliveries but then allow cars to be driven openly around Palo Alto.

Bonnie, could you please make sure that everyone receiving a sig at the delivery event, has on their person a checked shirt in view of the cameras. Bonus points if someone wears one. I think it would be a great joke for the forum. If Elon laughs, we know he's on TMC.

Bonnie, could you please make sure that everyone receiving a sig at the delivery event, has on their person a checked shirt in view of the cameras. Bonus points if someone wears one. I think it would be a great joke for the forum. If Elon laughs, we know he's on TMC.

I'm pretty sure he isn't - but also pretty sure he knows at a high level what owners are saying. And I love the idea of checked shirts.

Are they big checkers or little checkers? What color base? What color checks? Long sleeve or short sleeve? What type of fabric? There are so many unanswered questions here, maybe we should move this to another thread for details analysis. (With blown up photos of course.)

I'll take that wager. I think that Tesla has been road testing various components and FW but the real Model X is still under wraps. Elon would be stupid to insist on no reveal until deliveries but then allow cars to be driven openly around Palo Alto.

These sightings aren't "reveals". The cars have to be tested on the open road to get real world wear and tear feedback. Every car maker does this. The constant cry of "The real X will be revealed to be different" is absurd. Look at the Model S betas and RC vehicles. Almost identical to what was delivered to founders.

These sightings aren't "reveals". The cars have to be tested on the open road to get real world wear and tear feedback. Every car maker does this. The constant cry of "The real X will be revealed to be different" is absurd. Look at the Model S betas and RC vehicles. Almost identical to what was delivered to founders.

I guess, with time, we'll know how absurd it is. (I happen to agree with Nigel.)

That's a given, but also a bit of a cop-out.

Real question is: How much and what exactly will be different in the final version?

That is a much more interesting bet to make.

Here are my thoughts:

The silhouette so to speak is final, windows, doors, probably rear too.

The dash is not final.

Nose is not final.

Roof is camoed but final.

Rear interior is not installed on these mules.

Advanced new features not revealed.

What are your bets?

That is really a fun idea :)!! Even if he isn´t on the forum (meaning having an account), he might still be quietly reading?! Anyway, we and the test driver will get a good laugh out of that!

My bet is what we see is what we get. There is some camo, yes, but nothing too drastic.. It's not like on reveal day Elon going to walk up and rip the sheet off the car, revealing something like this.
No, this is the car, more or less. Slight nose job, slight tail lift, but I'd say more then 95% of the car is clearly visible. 98%. And the dash will essentially be the same as the Model S dash, like 90% identical.

I wager NigelM and Bonnie a Matchbox Model S. (Which is apparently on the same shipping schedule as the Model X, so who knows when we will see them on shelves.)