Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leave me out of it, you up-to-no-good troublemakers. :)

I excused myself from specific interaction quite awhile ago, because I felt like whatever I said was picked apart and other motivations were being assigned to what I said. It was extremely frustrating, especially when my opinions would repeatedly be dismissed as simply 'fanboy' behavior. After asking for that to stop & it continued, the easiest thing was to just stop playing.

Not in my nature, I know. :) But there's a saying that I like: Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? I'm opting for happy.

As this is probably a reference to myself, just to note that this is an example where I fear text communications have let us both down - as I've tried to communicate in a few conciliatory PMs in the past.

For me, it was never people arguing, it was issues with certain topics on TMC. And considering how dominant a voice e.g. bonnie has been on TMC (to this day a fairly common line of thinking here seems to be to avoid disagreement with bonnie), it was inevitable that those issues would come up with bonnie as well. But where words were picked apart or motivations assigned, it probably happened on all sides of the discussion - that is the misunderstanding part. For example, personally I feel many of my long-winded attempts at explanation were often just ignored or not properly answered to, by several members I had critical discussion with. It persists today.

Indeed it is frustrating to see that up to today mistaken mutual understanding remains, although I'd say not simply on any one side - but on both sides. That is the problem with text, no amount of new text can really alter the status quo, once sufficient misunderstanding exists. Those beers might help. :)

Of course there are also many prominent TMC members whom with we've gotten over any disagreement of person and are very well discussing issues. Thank you to those guys, you know who you are.

And you're specifically meaning electrochromic as opposed to photochromic, correct?

Interesting. Maybe Elon's statement that we won't see the X until delivery is a play on words. When the car is parked it could make the glass completely opaque. You won't be able to "see" the inside of the car until the owner sits inside and the glass changes.

Based on the data given in the other thread about Gentex, I'm pretty certain I have the reddit poster's name and information. No benefit in posting it here for obvious reasons, but definitely seems to have taken the shot at Gentex in Zeeland, Michigan. Gentex has three facilities in the area, one in Holland and two in Zeeland. I believe the one where the MX was snapped was the one in this picture.

gentex.png

Last edited:
Based on the data given in the other thread about Gentex, I'm pretty certain I have the reddit poster's name and information. No benefit in posting it here for obvious reasons, but definitely in mechanical engineering at Gentex in Zeeland, Michigan. Gentex has three facilities in the area, one in Holland and two in Zeeland. I believe the one where the MX was snapped was the one in this picture.

View attachment 84057

As an aside, and hopefully not too personal regarding the poster, it appears he drives a 2011 Prius. Perfect time to upgrade to a Model X, assuming (and hoping) he's still employed.

Interesting. When I googled Gentex, their current flagship product is a rear view mirror that uses a camera as an alternative, and they make mention of birdseye technology and replacing side mirrors/reducing side blindspots.

If Tesla loaned them a Model X, presumably there's going to be some interesting "mirror" technology after all. I hadn't attached much significance to the wiring you see hanging by the center mirror in the image - I assumed it was for the front cameras like the Model S. That may not be the case...
Walter

It's impressive detective work, but I have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable with all of these personal details being posted online. This guy (probably) made a bone-headed decision to upload a pic; he was (probably) an idiot for doing so, and he (probably) will be disciplined or fired.

But is there any reason to dox him? I mean, the fact that the car is at a particular supplier is potentially interesting, though what it means is anyone's guess, and I don't think any of us have any more concrete info as a result of the supplier's name than we did beforehand.

I realize some of this is posted on reddit, so it is what it is. But I'd really prefer we confine our detective work to observable details of the car itself, rather than potentially jeopardizing some poor schlub's livelihood by exposing personal details on the Internet.

But is there any reason to dox him? I mean, the fact that the car is at a particular supplier is potentially interesting, though what it means is anyone's guess, and I don't think any of us have any more concrete info as a result of the supplier's name than we did beforehand.

I felt I was pretty discreet, considering the amount of information the guy has online and how much I found. I tried to keep it focused on the location that the photo was taken, which I do think is pertinent and valuable to this thread.

I additionally would argue that my postings do very little to expose the guy in the eyes of people who care. If Tesla cares who he is, they already know from the location the photo was shot. I have no question about that.

Perhaps the car ownership and the job description were unfair. I'll redact that from my posts now, but overall I don't feel like I revealed personal details that aren't clearly available anywhere outside of this forum.

If I did step over the line, my apologies. I may have gotten carried away with the game of trying to decode the secrets in the photo.

It's impressive detective work, but I have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable with all of these personal details being posted online. This guy (probably) made a bone-headed decision to upload a pic; he was (probably) an idiot for doing so, and he (probably) will be disciplined or fired.

I realize some of this is posted on reddit, so it is what it is. But I'd really prefer we confine our detective work to observable details of the car itself, rather than potentially jeopardizing some poor schlub's livelihood by exposing personal details on the Internet.

I agree, although perhaps on a slightly different level as yourself: Finding the source of the leak, someone at Gentex, seems like a fair detail to me but I wouldn't want to see it taken anywhere beyond that when posting. One thing I think could have been left out here is the car the person drives (and has now been redacted), that wasn't pertinent to the discussion and might fall within the sphere of personal details, also I would leave out details on what can be found on the guy and just leave it at the fact that digging points to Gentex, Michigan. Something happening within a company seems fair game, something happening at someone's home or within the realm of personal privacy, is not.

Thus I probably would also leave out, in general, any mentions on what can be found out - on this merely say: "After digging, it seems this leak is from within Gentex." That seems right to my moral compass and is in line what is generally discussed in electronics, say, concerning leaks in Chinese factories. The factory is pointed out, found out, not the person - as it should be. Personally I have not done any digging on this topic, so I don't know if it came from Gentex.

I understand your view is also that might jeopardize the person's job, but I think that is in jeopardy anyway in this case. My angle is more in the sense that there is a certain need to respect privacy in public, and in that sense I would not want to or want us posting such personal information online.

Last edited:
Perhaps the car ownership and the job description were unfair. I'll redact that from my posts now, but overall I don't feel like I revealed personal details that aren't clearly available anywhere outside of this forum.

If I did step over the line, my apologies. I may have gotten carried away with the game of trying to decode the secrets in the photo.

I thought you did a good job keeping info posted to what's relevant (Prius thing aside ;)

But there's a saying that I like: Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? I'm opting for happy.

This has long been of my favourite maxims to live by. Well applied, it saves the feelings of a great many people, including oneself.

While I too appreciate the saying, I have always understood it a little differently than is being applied here. For those unaware, bonnie is referencing to putting myself on the ignore list. That is of course her choice and I respect it. The flipside, of course, no further understanding can be generated between us, so whatever misunderstanding is, remains, which is sad but understandable. I do disagree with her decision to flaunt it in public as she did back then, and got others to join her, but the general idea of hiding conversation that irks oneself certainly I can understand. Personally, if I need to use such measures, I do it without public announcement.

But moving on from that and being philosophical for a moment. I have taken "do you want to be right or do you want to be happy" to not simply mean taking a physical exit from, say, a debate, but taking an inclusive approach on a given situation. Trying to understand other people, instead of trying to force agreement for example. A well-timed, but also genuine agreement to disagree on certain issues, while also offering the other party the courtesy of agreeing where there is agreement, would often seem like a happiness-inducing thing to do. Or perhaps even better, having a discussion that looks at the various opinions out there, without necessarily taking sides, just discussing their merits in general. The kind of thing one would do when hosting a very diverse set of people, not unlike a global audience on TMC. Because when one is able to genuinely appreciate the diversity, the emotional benefit doesn't come from merely looking away, but from peace within.

My approach, for example, has been to try and mend fences, build bridges with my Supercharger summary. There was a point where I thought the discussion wasn't progressing or inducing happiness towards anyone, so I took a couple of iterations to see where we can agree on and for the moment at least left it at that. I personally got peace from that, because I felt a fair kind of closure on the topic.

A) the "use exhaust hose" is funny and ironic
B) how do you guys do it (waiting for the X)? It took 3 months for my S to arrive and I just about had to be committed...!
C) this mule looks exactly like the one on page 1 of this thread...

I guess you haven't been reading this forum very much, huh? There's been quite a run on straitjackets.