Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The close-up of the spoiler only shows two mounting points, one at each end, but we also saw a central depression in the spoiler-less mule. I thought that would be used for the raising/lowering mechanism, but maybe it has been removed now.

The close-up of the spoiler only shows two mounting points, one at each end, but we also saw a central depression in the spoiler-less mule. I thought that would be used for the raising/lowering mechanism, but maybe it has been removed now.

Also interesting that the (auto raising) spoiler should be raised in city stop and go traffic. In my dad's BMW (also with an auto raising spoiler) it raises and come down automatically at a certain set speed (I don't know which one. 70km/h ?)

The logic being that you don't need downforce at low speed, so lowering the spoiler will reduce drag. [Edit : not true. See port #1595]

Of course, there is also a knob to raise the spoiler when stopped in order to show off. :cool:

Last edited:
Huh. First time I've seen the rear door handles taped over. Maybe they thought that would fool people? :D

Also, an array of *six* forward facing cameras at various heights attached on the outside of the body (well, I'm assuming the lower pair have mates on the left side like the top camera does.)

What in the world would those be for? Maybe to evaluate different angles for stereoscopic pothole/speedbump/obstacle detection?
Walter

NVIDIA Drive PX has support for up to 12 cameras. I'm sure Tesla is going to have much better auto pilot technology in Model X. Also, nice to see the nosecone is body coloured and no longer appears to be a separate piece. Just the hint of the nosecone molded into the front plastic.

Also interesting that the (auto raising) spoiler should be raised in city stop and go traffic. In my dad's BMW (also with an auto raising spoiler) it raises and come down automatically at a certain set speed (I don't know which one. 70km/h ?)

The logic being that you don't need downforce at low speed, so lowering the spoiler will reduce drag.

Of course, there is also a knob to raise the spoiler when stopped in order to show off. :cool:

Right. The Boxster has the same thing. I think it's too early to draw any conclusions about what the spoiler's behavior will be in the final production models.

Is it a bad sign that the MX has to be towed by an F-150? :tongue:
I think the Model X tow testing was to actually put that F-150 on the trailer when they got the test site :)

- - - Updated - - -

Image via video: http://i.imgur.com/zvTOqFk.jpg
zvTOqFk.jpg

You've seen under the X camo?

Isn't your position that these aren't production cars with some camouflage? Normally at this stage what you see are polished production cars wrapped with some camo, whereas the front of the X doesn't look anything like a production panel (I don't imagine the production car will have a huge gap at the front of the hood). Nobody can look at that front and say these are final unaltered production cars with some camo on top.

The logic being that you don't need downforce at low speed, so lowering the spoiler will reduce drag.

A car this big and heavy doesn't need additional downforce even at speed. It's much likely that the spoiler is somehow there to change the airflow for range; perhaps by disturbing the vacuum created behind such a large vehicle?

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer or a designer.

That would be a knob in the driver's seat? ;-)

Isn't your position that these aren't production cars with some camouflage?

Yes, more or less. There is also plenty of duct tape and bits that you can call camouflage if you want. It was AnOutsider who made an aethetics call on what's under the camo.

Normally at this stage what you see are polished production cars wrapped with some camo, whereas the front of the X doesn't look anything like a production panel (I don't imagine the production car will have a huge gap at the front of the hood). Nobody can look at that front and say these are final unaltered production cars with some camo on top.

Agreed.

A car this big and heavy doesn't need additional downforce even at speed. It's much likely that the spoiler is somehow there to change the airflow for range; perhaps by disturbing the vacuum created behind such a large vehicle?

Humm… Your post intrigued me, so I google a bit. All I can find is that it "reduces lift", and "helps maintain the BMW feel in turns at touring speeds" (does that even mean something ?) No mention of efficiency or reduced drag. But there is nothing really credible either.
I did find that the speed for auto raising is actually 70km/h, so I was right on the money on that one.

That would be a knob in the driver's seat? ;-)

Well played, sir. :)

The shape of Model X is quite like a airplain wing going the wrong way.
Quite possible it get a good downlforce on the front, cause sloop of the hood, then at high speeds you will get a lift in the back.
The air have longer way to travel abow than below, spesially around the back of the car.
Higher air speed on one side gives a lift, it is quite possible this is enouch to make it miss behave when you driving abow 200km/h.
Guess it will have the same topp speed as Model S. (250km/h)
Since it AWD you will not loose traction, but a car that get over or under stearing at high speed is not fun. ;-)

Quite possible it get a good downlforce on the front, cause sloop of the hood, then at high speeds you will get a lift in the back.
Yes, there will be aerodynamic lift in the back. About 30 pounds.

Higher air speed on one side gives a lift, it is quite possible this is enouch to make it miss behave when you driving abow 200km/h.
No. Lift would have to be at least 5x bigger to be noticable.

Its all about the drag.

;-)

I am a Naval Architect. Boats through water, planes through the air, or cars over land... its all about friction/drag. As air flows over the vehicle, the longer you can keep that flow "stuck" to the surface of the car/boat/plane, the better. this is called a "boundary layer". When that boundary layer is there and stuck, you have "laminar flow". https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/boundlay.html When the layer breaks down, you get turbulent flow.
All that turbulence is weight being pulled along with the vehicle. This is why hypermiling/drafting works.
In motor sports, they use the spoiler for two reasons, one of which is to increase drag. First is to slow things down and make the cars safer. Much higher speeds than even highway speeds. The other reason is to avoid a wing shape at the rear of the car. The car (NASCAR) looks and acts like a wing at high speed, lifting it off the ground slightly. This all the upside down wings in F1, Indy, etc.

Why does a SUV have an adaptive spoiler then ? Wouldn't a spoiler create a turbulent layer and more drag? Yes. The reason for the spoiler is to create a controlled/known turbulent layer that is smaller than what would be created without the spoiler.
Think about the F150 going down the highway. The spoiler is the rear tail gate. Open the gate and NO, you DONT decrease drag. You are now creating a larger turbulent layer. Keep the tailgate closed and the air flows over the front and is trapped by the tailgate. You have a smaller turbulent layer in the truck bed and behind the truck.

Yes, more or less. There is also plenty of duct tape and bits that you can call camouflage if you want. It was AnOutsider who made an aethetics call on what's under the camo.

...I've said a number of times that I don't think what we're seeing is the final version, and, as you say, the mules look slapped together. So why take issue with my comment that the mules other manufacturers are running about are more polished? I think I can make a call as to the level of polish based on what we HAVE seen. Missing trim and duct tape does not indicate polish to me. Polish, to me, are the finishing touches (including trim) put on a car.

Isn't your position that these aren't production cars with some camouflage? Normally at this stage what you see are polished production cars wrapped with some camo, whereas the front of the X doesn't look anything like a production panel (I don't imagine the production car will have a huge gap at the front of the hood). Nobody can look at that front and say these are final unaltered production cars with some camo on top.

1) I can.

2) As to the gap, it seems likely that gap won't be present, but we don't know for sure because we haven't seen the final nose design. It's very possible that there's a single missing trim piece that fills in that gap, which has been left off for testing/access purposes.

3) At the same time, it's possible that the gap *will* be present on production cars, since we haven't seen the final nose design. There are plenty of heat exchangers on the front of the S; I'm sure the X will have as many or more. It might also be an active shutter, like the S has on the lower left and right quarter panels.

It's interesting how ambiguous evidence confirms pre-existing biases. I look at this raft of prototypes, including some shot in HD video, and I think "how could anyone believe that these aren't final, production spec cars with some minimal vinyl wrapping and a few missing trim pieces?"

Others apparently see such poor fit and finish that these must be mules assembled from old, obsolete panels.

We see what we expect to see.

And we'll see who is right in...who knows? "2 months"?

EDIT:

The more I look at shots like this one, the more I think that gap might actually be a design feature. We might be looking at the new "face" of Tesla, replacing the black nose cone.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88196&d=1437539591

...I've said a number of times that I don't think what we're seeing is the final version, and, as you say, the mules look slapped together. So why take issue with my comment that the mules other manufacturers are running about are more polished? I think I can make a call as to the level of polish based on what we HAVE seen. Missing trim and duct tape does not indicate polish to me. Polish, to me, are the finishing touches (including trim) put on a car.

Whoa there, nobody's taking issue. You made a statement about how the X looks under the camo; I asked if you'd seen under the camo, that's all.

I am a Naval Architect. Boats through water, planes through the air, or cars over land... its all about friction/drag. As air flows over the vehicle, the longer you can keep that flow "stuck" to the surface of the car/boat/plane, the better. this is called a "boundary layer". When that boundary layer is there and stuck, you have "laminar flow". https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/boundlay.html When the layer breaks down, you get turbulent flow.
All that turbulence is weight being pulled along with the vehicle. This is why hypermiling/drafting works.
In motor sports, they use the spoiler for two reasons, one of which is to increase drag. First is to slow things down and make the cars safer. Much higher speeds than even highway speeds. The other reason is to avoid a wing shape at the rear of the car. The car (NASCAR) looks and acts like a wing at high speed, lifting it off the ground slightly. This all the upside down wings in F1, Indy, etc.

Why does a SUV have an adaptive spoiler then ? Wouldn't a spoiler create a turbulent layer and more drag? Yes. The reason for the spoiler is to create a controlled/known turbulent layer that is smaller than what would be created without the spoiler.
Think about the F150 going down the highway. The spoiler is the rear tail gate. Open the gate and NO, you DONT decrease drag. You are now creating a larger turbulent layer. Keep the tailgate closed and the air flows over the front and is trapped by the tailgate. You have a smaller turbulent layer in the truck bed and behind the truck.

Very interesting. Thanks.

NigelM, it seems you were right about the spoiler not being there for downforce.