Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has been my biggest concern. Just seems like the battery technology has not improved enough, not as much as had been hoped/expected a few years ago, and that nothing with aerodynamics could make up for it. In fact, I have the hunch that some of the design changes that many of us are not thrilled with were made to try to do as much as possible to improve the range (via aerodynamics) because of that issue.

Chiming in regarding the topics I've just spent way too much reading debates about:

I agree with JST & others that we are seeing release candidates that will not be drastically different than the final product. A) Elon has indicated a couple of times that the X is on schedule and now ~2 months away. B) In May, he said they had "hundreds" of release candidates going through final testing rounds. C) Hundreds of release candidates are being hidden away while so many "mules" are on the road? Meh, I don't think so. D) Elon said they wouldn't "show" the Model X before deliveries began. I agree with the person who emphasized that this meant "have an unveiling." There's a difference between "showing" it and testing it in places where it can be spotted with camo. E) NigelM presents some interesting theories about how they could be cheaply producing the body panels, but I just don't see Tesla doing this. They are working their asses off trying to get this out the door "on time" (if we can call it that), get the Gigafactory rolling, get Tesla Energy rolling, get the Model 3 on track... I just don't see them messing around with wildly different decoys to throw people off. F) Some of the cars in recent pics (like ones in San Fran and the one with the wipers hidden) look pretty darn sharp to me. As AnxietyRanger has pointed out, they've gotten better and better. Why would Tesla keep improving on decoy mules like this? I just don't see it. G) Of course, we'll see minor trim, bumper, etc improvements that will make the X look a lot hotter (don't think anyone disagrees with that). H) I voted in the poll and will join the bet if it's still that thing about putting something in our signatures for a month.

As far as "ugly," I think the X looks great so far, one of the best SUVs if not the best on the market (I do like the Cayenne a bit, though). Of course, ugly or beautiful is completely subjective and it irks me when people use these terms about cars as if they are a matter of fact. I do really, really wish that people expressing their opinions about aesthetics would preface them with "I think...." Please. Your opinion on aesthetics is not fact, and you just look ridiculous when you speak like it is.

Looking forward to an awesome X reveal with all kinds of fun interior surprises! And a much better-looking X with the camo off... but not much else different.

We'll see. :D

Good post, ZachShahan on both pondering the state of the mule from so many sides and also bringing needed subjectivity to the ugliness discussion. Thank you.

I wonder if the alleged three looks Tesla is still undecided on for Model X, if that info is true, are front bumper/mask looks? Because that is the area where the mules have always looked most unfinished and also most camoed.

p.s. I think Cayenne is ugly as heck. :D

- - - Updated - - -

What's going on with the rear panels and hitch area? They look different from time to time ...

Rear center radar/laser as well as folding hitch mechanism work have been the speculations I've seen.

First(?) pic of a Model X mule with fitted tow hitch:
attachment.php?attachmentid=88435&d=1437751249.jpg

I agree, great shot on the tow hitch. Technically I guess it isn't the first, though - a different two hitch was present on the very first Model X mule sighting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70956&d=1422736394.jpg

By the way, since the tow hitch on that docks car looks European or Asian style the way it curves, I wonder has anyone speculated they were about to ship that car for testing in outside of country.

60 to 70 was done with more of the same cells. 85 to 90 used the same number of cells with a new chemistry.

With only 30% shared parts with Model X, as we heard from Elon recently, it wouldn't be impossible the battery pack size for Model X could be different, say higher in physical size - allowing more of those new chemistry cells? Wasn't there some extra space beneath the passenger area in at least Model X prototype (2012-2013)? The area where the second-row rails run in? Maybe they could expand the battery pack to that area in Model X, which they couldn't do in Model S.

Hard to say, mere speculation at this point. Tesla kept those 60/85 kW references on Model X page at teslamotors.com, but the PR side of the operation may merely be in the dark so doesn't tell much either I guess.

The heck with the the red circle around the bumper, what the heck is going on with the crooked TESLA chrome on the rear end of this X? Surely that is not a camera/optical illusion, that is a genuine crooked piece of chrome?

View attachment 88518

Where did you get this picture?

It looks like one we had a several pages back where a poster took the blacked out picture and quickly/roughly photoshopped in the bar off of a Model S to get a general impression, stating that it was a Photoshop and not perfect. I haven't seen any real pictures with chrome on them yet...
Walter

The heck with the the red circle around the bumper, what the heck is going on with the crooked TESLA chrome on the rear end of this X? Surely that is not a camera/optical illusion, that is a genuine crooked piece of chrome?

View attachment 88518

Someone photoshopped in Model S chrome to see what it looks like, but did it slightly crooked?

We still haven't seen any unedited shots with the chrome not wrapped in tape, AFAIK.

I should probably clarify a couple of points I made:

1) I don't think a slightly lower range than the Model S is an issue. (I'm in the camp of 99% of a normal person's driving days can be accomplished on 100 miles of range, and Superchargers work for the rest.) I just know that Elon has made very strong statements about minimum range & also about the X needing to be as good as or better than the S in all ways. So I basically think he'd hold the range up to a higher standard than necessary. (Of course, Elon may be in the right on that, and especially in the premium, high-end categories.)

2) I do think a higher-capacity option for a higher price is a strong possibility, and hope for it. I wouldn't be surprised if a 105 kWh (or whatever) option for the Model S were added when the Model X comes out. For better or worse, Elon seems to hold his hints better these days, thus surprising us more. But we'll see.

And now 2 responses to this...

Good post, ZachShahan on both pondering the state of the mule from so many sides and also bringing needed subjectivity to the ugliness discussion. Thank you.

I wonder if the alleged three looks Tesla is still undecided on for Model X, if that info is true, are front bumper/mask looks? Because that is the area where the mules have always looked most unfinished and also most camoed.

p.s. I think Cayenne is ugly as heck. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Rear center radar/laser as well as folding hitch mechanism work have been the speculations I've seen.

3) Yeah, my guess would be that it is the front bumper/mask that is still up in the air. And perhaps some other slight things to go with it, of course. They obviously aren't choosing between 3 very different body styles at the last minute.

4) Cayenne: Haha. :D

Based on the latest pics, I do think the X is the best-looking SUV on the market, and one of the best-looking vehicles in general. Such a subjective matter, but I think it looks similar enough to other SUVs and sleek/slick/cool enough to not have any real problem on the market in that regard. :D