Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prius-likeness aside, vent reflections on the image conspire to make the rear diffuser look quite wild... ;)

gordo: Thank you. Cameras in those locations of course make sense and keep the hope of high-quality all-around view parking (or even replaced rear-view mirror and/or improved auto-pilot with such cameras) alive.

Rear "cam" is in the same location as the green light. Could the green light actually be a visible light laser as part of the autopilot update?

Do you think or hope that they are testing these with families? So that they know how it operates IRL with kids getting in and out of it and closing the falcon door without them being mutilated etc.

Should have offered one up as the family car in the new vacation movie...

FullSizeRender-32.jpg

Looks they did want a plug-in vehicle!
1330520026572904226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, no photos, but I was excited to have my first Model X sighting this morning at 0630 in the Los Gatos CA area. I was on 280 southbound and briefly glimpsed a black X going northbound just past the Hwy 17 interchange. I even think I detected the strange front hood gap that others have commented about. Obviously not a final production vehicle.

:redface: and I was thinking that I'd hadn't missed a single page in this topic the past few weeks :biggrin:

Still one of the best shots of the X mules in my opinion, giving quite a nice impression of what the real deal might look like from the rear (apart from the obvious camo and preproduction panels here and there).

Okay, so not a sighting but something close. I was in the Bay Area this week and bumped into a Tesla staffer. He indicated he'd recently been getting training on the X, that the design studio was coming very very soon, but that there were 3 last looks they were experimenting with and hadn't decided upon. These must be quite minor at this point I'd think, but it does show the situation would seem to be fluid still. He said no matter which is picked they are all spectacular. BUT...he said they are worried about a negative reaction due to the range of the X being less than what we're used to with the S. That would imply that no magic 100kWh is going to be jumping out of the cake...

Okay, so not a sighting but something close. I was in the Bay Area this week and bumped into a Tesla staffer. He indicated he'd recently been getting training on the X, that the design studio was coming very very soon, but that there were 3 last looks they were experimenting with and hadn't decided upon. These must be quite minor at this point I'd think, but it does show the situation would seem to be fluid still. He said no matter which is picked they are all spectacular. BUT...he said they are worried about a negative reaction due to the range of the X being less than what we're used to with the S. That would imply that no magic 100kWh is going to be jumping out of the cake...
Do you think this person is in a position to have actual credible info, if so this is good news. Hopefully the looks will compare to the 2012 prototype, no so concerned on the range as long as the 90 is available.

That has been my biggest concern. Just seems like the battery technology has not improved enough, not as much as had been hoped/expected a few years ago, and that nothing with aerodynamics could make up for it. In fact, I have the hunch that some of the design changes that many of us are not thrilled with were made to try to do as much as possible to improve the range (via aerodynamics) because of that issue.

Chiming in regarding the topics I've just spent way too much reading debates about:

I agree with JST & others that we are seeing release candidates that will not be drastically different than the final product. A) Elon has indicated a couple of times that the X is on schedule and now ~2 months away. B) In May, he said they had "hundreds" of release candidates going through final testing rounds. C) Hundreds of release candidates are being hidden away while so many "mules" are on the road? Meh, I don't think so. D) Elon said they wouldn't "show" the Model X before deliveries began. I agree with the person who emphasized that this meant "have an unveiling." There's a difference between "showing" it and testing it in places where it can be spotted with camo. E) NigelM presents some interesting theories about how they could be cheaply producing the body panels, but I just don't see Tesla doing this. They are working their asses off trying to get this out the door "on time" (if we can call it that), get the Gigafactory rolling, get Tesla Energy rolling, get the Model 3 on track... I just don't see them messing around with wildly different decoys to throw people off. F) Some of the cars in recent pics (like ones in San Fran and the one with the wipers hidden) look pretty darn sharp to me. As AnxietyRanger has pointed out, they've gotten better and better. Why would Tesla keep improving on decoy mules like this? I just don't see it. G) Of course, we'll see minor trim, bumper, etc improvements that will make the X look a lot hotter (don't think anyone disagrees with that). H) I voted in the poll and will join the bet if it's still that thing about putting something in our signatures for a month.

As far as "ugly," I think the X looks great so far, one of the best SUVs if not the best on the market (I do like the Cayenne a bit, though). Of course, ugly or beautiful is completely subjective and it irks me when people use these terms about cars as if they are a matter of fact. I do really, really wish that people expressing their opinions about aesthetics would preface them with "I think...." Please. Your opinion on aesthetics is not fact, and you just look ridiculous when you speak like it is.

Looking forward to an awesome X reveal with all kinds of fun interior surprises! And a much better-looking X with the camo off... but not much else different.

We'll see. :D

If range does turn out to be an issue, I would take some solace in the fact that TM seems to be allowing battery upgrades now as tech advances.

As for range, I've got a lowly old P85. If we're talking a 10% hit on what a P90D gets today, it would still about match the range I'm used to from my S.

First(?) pic of a Model X mule with fitted tow hitch:
View attachment 88435

The sticker on the rear quarter window says "MX38". 38th vehicle in the fleet?

Okay, so not a sighting but something close. I was in the Bay Area this week and bumped into a Tesla staffer. He indicated he'd recently been getting training on the X, that the design studio was coming very very soon,

BUT...he said they are worried about a negative reaction due to the range of the X being less than what we're used to with the S. That would imply that no magic 100kWh is going to be jumping out of the cake...

I'm thinking that there will either be 70 and 90 kWh offered, OR only 90 kWh.

I for one will not have a negative reaction from the X having lower range than the S. A heavier car with larger cross section is expected to have lower efficiency. Customers will expect this because they will have had similar experiences with petrol cars. The SUV variety always has lower fuel economy than the sedan (compare a Honda Civic to a CR-V, for example. Same platform, vastly different efficiency).

The one positive effect is that Model S will still have an advantage over Model X, and that S sales are therefore less likely to tank. I have been concerned that a slow X ramp and possibly decreased demand for the S as a result of the X, could damage overall deliveries in 2015.

Rear panels / hitch

What's going on with the rear panels and hitch area? They look different from time to time ...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 930
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 941
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 934
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 938
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 948
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 946
What if it's offered with a 90 as the base and a larger battery as the top end?

I wonder what will happen to the TMS sales if the TMX actually can be delivered with a higher pack than 90kWh? Don't get me wrong, I really want a 200kWh battery pack :)biggrin:), but why wouldn't they give the option to the Model S as well? They just announced the 90kWh.

Guess we'll see in a couple of weeks ...

What if it's offered with a 90 as the base and a larger battery as the top end?

That's my theory.

Don't forget that 60 going to 70 was a 16.6% increase.

85 going to 90 is only a 5.8% increase. If the batteries are really a new chemistry you should jump up by the same percentage.

85 x 1.16 = 99. (i.e. it should have been a 100kWh pack, using the same increase)

In the back of my mind, is that the 90 will replace the 85 altogether, and they will have a 105 or 110 announced at the time the Model X is revealed. So, 70, 90 and 110.

The "no longer showing our cards" quote comes to mind. They are keeping this until the last possible minute. Other manufacturers e.g. Audi will just have to scramble faster than they are already scrambling.