Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to what timf wrote, the circumstances are also very different now. The Model-S didn't have as much pre-testing and there wasn't really a previous model (Roadster doesn't count) to compete with. Tesla was in more of a financial strain back then and they were desperate for Model-S sales to keep the company afloat (in fact, they briefly considered selling Tesla to Google).

Today, they are in a better position and can release a more polished vehicle. Plus, they don't want to jeopardize Model-S sales by pre-announcing the Model-X. Both these two reasons mean that there would likely be more pre-testing in secret and hence more opportunity for spy shots.

I think one important detail was missed on the most recent black x picture. If you look closely in the side mirror you can confirm that the driver does in fact have a checked shirt

I think everybody missed the most important reveal last night when EM said they will copy Subaru's success and offer the MX in a special, limited edition, "Tablecloth Red" LL Bean Edition.
So much for Sig Red being the one to own....

I think everybody missed the most important reveal last night when EM said they will copy Subaru's success and offer the MX in a special, limited edition, "Tablecloth Red" LL Bean Edition.
So much for Sig Red being the one to own....

Oh oh, me me... That is sure to have collector's value added all over it. Just ask any Model S Signature owner. *ducks*

Probably not, since they don't sell cars there. However they certainly do sell cars and have stores and service centers in Australia. However, in reality I'm not convinced they are testing the cars anywhere except California.

I had offered Tesla to test the Model-X in Canadian winter conditions 6 months ago, and they never took me up on it. Too late now. :wink:

There are places in the U.S. they can still do cold weather testing. Example: Bodie, California has 308 days/year of freezing temperatures. Stanley, Idaho is most often the coldest place in the states outside of Alaska. Mt. Washington, NH average temperature is 27.4. They could be up in the mountains in Colorado, California, Wyoming, etc. hidden away where prying eyes can't see. Baudette, MN has a few cold-weather vehicle testing grounds.

I would not assume we have seen anywhere close to all of the Model X test vehicles (mule, beta, RC, et al.), which apparently number over 100 according to Elon in the most recent investors' conference call. I also would not assume a more recent sighting represents the latest iteration of any particular feature. Note, this does not imply that Tesla is out to confuse us with "fake" mules.

A lot of final fit and finish testing can be done inside on rattle and squeak rigs or indoor tracks or just measuring gaps and alignment. Testing on public roads is (for now) probably focused on vehicle dynamics, handling, ride quality, etc. and doesn't require actual production release candidates. I'm guessing they will drive RCs around on public roads for a few weeks or a month, once everything else is basically done. Some of that may be done in sparsely populated areas, though. It's a big country.

There are places in the U.S. they can still do cold weather testing. Example: Bodie, California has 308 days/year of freezing temperatures. Stanley, Idaho is most often the coldest place in the states outside of Alaska. Mt. Washington, NH average temperature is 27.4. They could be up in the mountains in Colorado, California, Wyoming, etc. hidden away where prying eyes can't see. Baudette, MN has a few cold-weather vehicle testing grounds.
Not this time of year. Mt Washington may have a year-round average of 27 degrees, but now the days are getting into the 60's, and nights are mostly above freezing. Now, Californians may call that cold, but if you want to make sure the car actually works in real winters, then real cold weather testing means sub-zero. To do that this time of year, you have to go to the southern hemisphere.

Elon mentioned some years ago that lakes in North Sweeden was Nice testing ground for winter test.
Used of large numbers of car manufactures since it is closed area, snow and ICE almost all year.
I guess it is possible that some Beta Model X have beeen in Sweden this winter. ;-)

Snowed almost all day Friday here. Our lakes still have 3 feet of ice on them - even at the marge, the ice hasn't yet begun to separate from the land, and still 12-20" remnant snow on the ground.

Not true in the rest of Alaska, of course - where sane Alaskans (he he) live, it's full spring, but here in the Alaska Range we can and have gotten snow every single week of the year.