Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlikely, seeing as Tesla/Elon had previously said that release candidates (RCs) would be built in March (IIRC, wasn't Jerome supposed to have one by now?). If Tesla has been building RCs then they are extremely unlikely to produce any more mules.

I'm curious about what they'll say at the earnings call... they should have RCs by now, based on their own words, yet they are still driving these ill-fitting mules around...

Maybe I should consider taking bets on "production cars slip into 2016"?

Oh, you mean different from the mules that some have been drawing wild conclusions about? :)

I haven't been following this thread, and don't know what wild conclusions others are batting around about the mule(s). Looking at the video and pictures that have been posted, the one I saw today sure looks like the pictures and video posted, and was driving on the exact same route. That much I can confirm. As for everything else, my 20 seconds of driving next to it and passing it were hampered by trying to keep my eyes on the road and on surrounding cars. Anyway, the rear of the car is really what got my attention when I first saw it -- and this was before I even looked at any of the pictures others have posted. My first reaction was -- is this really the way the production cars are going to look? The rear of this car just looked really odd and made me think that the driver would not have much if any visibility through the rear hatch. It wasn't ugly or anything, but it just looked odd. My impression might have been amplified as a result of part of the rear window being covered up (?)(just speculating based on one of the pictures posted).

@satheesh.net
Så legal to use camera instead of mirrors since 2003. :)
EUR-Lex - l21056 - EN - EUR-Lex

US is slower have not seen it introduced yet. :-(
(Side mirrors replacement)

Indeed!

I noticed at least these two remarks that caught my attention:
- adaptations to technical progress (e.g. the curvature of the surface of rear-view mirrors);
- the replacement of some rear-view mirrors with other indirect vision systems (e.g. camera-monitor devices).

So new technology can be used if the systems are better than today's standard.

The biggest problem with cameras is the amount of dirt/debris and the lack of clear sight during bad weather. (Anyone with the rear-view camera on their TMS and experienced bad weather, know what I mean.) So even if this is a step forward in the right direction, it is also vital that both systems and the vision of sight isn't compromised due to liability issues.

I really hope they nail this and come up with something really cool. :smile:

I haven't been following this thread, and don't know what wild conclusions others are batting around about the mule(s). Looking at the video and pictures that have been posted, the one I saw today sure looks like the pictures and video posted, and was driving on the exact same route. That much I can confirm. As for everything else, my 20 seconds of driving next to it and passing it were hampered by trying to keep my eyes on the road and on surrounding cars. Anyway, the rear of the car is really what got my attention when I first saw it -- and this was before I even looked at any of the pictures others have posted. My first reaction was -- is this really the way the production cars are going to look? The rear of this car just looked really odd and made me think that the driver would not have much if any visibility through the rear hatch. It wasn't ugly or anything, but it just looked odd. My impression might have been amplified as a result of part of the rear window being covered up (?)(just speculating based on one of the pictures posted).

SFOTurtle, your input is greatly appreciated, please don't be discouraged if not all find it as useful as others. To clarify, there are a few different "camps" (for lack of a better word) on the Model X forum, some adopting a wait and see attitude and not wanting to draw conclusions from mules and reminding to be cautious, and another camp (of which I guess I am a prominent example, I find the previous approach overly cautious) who have more interest in dissecting these kinds of details and facts about the mule(s) and then attempting to draw speculative conclusions from those.

Sometimes these views, while both perfectly respectable, clash. IMO it has been a bit of battleground, really. Both sides have, of course, a right to their opinion and view. Time will tell what the Model X will look like, of course, and whether or not the dissecting got us any closer to knowledge any sooner - or not.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I agree with the notion that this is not further proof of production Model X features, but it seems further proof (assuming trust in posters) of features of this particular Model X mule because in addition to photos and video we now have an eyewitness account. What it means for production is, of course, speculative. Absolutely.

As for the mules vs. RCs wording, in my messages above I lumped them together - so when I said mules, I talked about pre-release vehicles of all kinds - excluding 2012-2013 prototype(s). I concede it was a hasty and an inaccurate way to put it, but just to clarify that bit.

Words and text are hard, as can be witnessed above too. :)

Last edited:
One from earlier today...

image.jpg

Courtesy of user johnabreen's sleuthing and link posting over at the teslamotors.com forums.

Google plus link: Google+

Cheers!

From the guy that took the latest photo:

The front end looked like a model S nose with different proportions. You could definitely see the lineage.

Unfortunately couldn't snap one (picture of the front), but it looks like a Model S with a pug nose. This thing was just driving in the open though, so I would be surprised if I was the only one that took a photo of it.

Sounds like we should see the front with little to no camo soon!

The latest sighting is clearly a mule from the look of the panel fit and (apparent) camo on the front. Worth noting that Tesla previously said they were building RCs in March/April so it'll be interesting to see if any of those are allowed out on the road.

No camo on the front.

Was there any camouflage on the front of the car?

None whatsoever. The only attempt at hiding anything are the blacked out rear and side windows.

And the front had the classic black oval from the Model S.

This looks like a new build with the front door and rear hatch slightly ajar. It also ends the speculation that there is no nose cone.

https://plus.google.com/+RonTalain/posts/Vgwh2TLzwxG

Wonder why nobody tried to look near Freemont Fsactory. There is the outdoor test-area.

To obvious? Or did you now, that it's needless, while they don't use this for new cars?

Nearby there seams to be a public road (next to the Comfort Inn Silicon Valley East Hotel):

https://www.google.de/maps/place/37...1.933969,597m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430852430.130854.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430852461.706341.jpg

Can't look right now, beaming is still not released.

(If someone really wants to give it a shot, don't do stupid stuff, respect the law and drive and park safely!)