Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the brown prototype was bad, but knew what it was, a prototype. Things got a lot better with the white star wars version that was being shown at a auto show. These mules are a real step back. I really thought that we would see an improved version of the black and white prototype and could have really got on board with that. This... I am not sure I can commit if this is what we will get plus pin striping...

Maybe the wood paneling will help. :)

The front may be elongated a bit from previous prototypes perhaps for aerodynamic considerations and possibly to provide a reasonable frunk given the front motor taking up some space. The front and back underneath may be angled up to preserve reasonable angle of attack (after all, it's supposed to be more SUVish). I don't think it's ugly, and I think the finished version without camo will look better. I do think they probably had a harder time and had to compromise more on the X to ensure aerodynamics that meet their targets.

I think everyone needs to chill out. With photography, different angles, lenses, lighting, colors, etc. can warp images. Even if you're not ready to consider that it may be photo quality distorting the shape of the car - what's driving on the road isn't the final product. To me, the first version that was unveiled 3.5 years ago still looks like many of these mules. It's always had that "Pontiac Aztec" look to it.

Either way, chill out till you see a finished production model in person, alright?

I think everyone needs to chill out. With photography, different angles, lenses, lighting, colors, etc. can warp images. Even if you're not ready to consider that it may be photo quality distorting the shape of the car - what's driving on the road isn't the final product. To me, the first version that was unveiled 3.5 years ago still looks like many of these mules. It's always had that "Pontiac Aztec" look to it.

Either way, chill out till you see a finished production model in person, alright?
Agree

Not the best side profile, but you can get a good idea.

Modelxcompare.jpg

As I've said on a few occasions, this is what I'm expecting. The new bottom of door latches appear to require the door to swing out as the first motion anyway (only an inch or two,) and at various points we've seen some sensors on the doors. I'm expecting the X to check for overhead clearance and open this way in tight parking garages, too - assuming there's space next to the car.

Doors set up like this would have to be power actuated to handle the multiple options and sensor feedback, of course.

Good point about the bottom door latches. While I noted the latches, it hadn't occurred to me the previous design of B pillar "rails" required the door to go upwards first - the new design allows it to go outwards only, it seems.

However, I'm not absolutely sure they will have cargo connection points on the roof, but having those in the before and aft falcon wings crossbeams would of course be possible and could be disguised by camo wrap.

Not the best side profile, but you can get a good idea.

View attachment 85136

Important to note the white one is two-tone. The black color along its lower panels, particularly at the rear, have the effect of making the car body look slimmer.

Black may not be the best color for Model X. Lighter colors will be more flattering.

The nose on the black test car, however, does look disproportionately long compared to the more pleasing short overhang of the prototype. Here's hoping that's a false nose and not the final sheet metal.

I think the pictures are deceiving and the angles give you a different orientation. The nose looks longer from the front of the wheels to the bumper and the rear 1/4 panels looks shorter and deeper. Having said that when I saw the same color mule at the Petaluma SC I thought it looked much better. So we will see.

You know, after playing with it in photoshop (and being reminded as to how terrible I am with photoshop) I think I've realized all I wanted from the X was a wagon version of the S. Stretched out with a stubby nose and smaller rear.

On the last picture, it looks like the nose cone was borrowed from the parts bin for the model s. I much prefer the first pic. I am sure many will love the model s, for me the model s is much more attractive. But that's me!

I agree. I'm also going to redact my previous comments about how this is the final X design. I'm pretty sure the rear is more or less what it's going to be, but seeing the versions from the side stacked up has made me realize the nose could change quite a bit. I hope it more top two, and less the bottom.

/edit I have a feeling the top pic is the most likely final nose candidate. If they go with that model S nose then there will be blood.