Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading through this thread, I get the distinct impression that many observers are using the same words to refer to different things. For the sake of clarity, could you all be more specific as to what you are commenting about, instead of using verbal shorthand? What I mean is that some seem to use the word 'nose' to refer to the entire front end of the Model X variants we have seen, including frunk hood and front fenders. Many seem to refer to the 'nose' being everything below and forward of the headlights. While others refer to the 'nose' as what would be the removable nose cone/faux grille as compared to Model S. Then some point to pictures and say they are 'the same' when I can spot obvious differences in the shape of the front air dam intakes and placement of turn signals and fog lamps.

Someone needs to photoshop the front wheel moving forward like 6 inches. that will put the nose in the right spot and move the windshield further back in relation to the wheel. In the other SUVs, none of the windshields (except maybe the Acura) start any where near the middle of the front wheel. the proportion is just wrong.
Wow. We'll, I can say that I thoroughly disagree with this assessment. If anything, the recent array of photos for potential competitors to Model X have confirmed for me that they are all hopelessly outclassed by the Tesla. Their hoods are too long. Their stance too erect. The shapes of the windows too disjointed. Their cabins too cramped. I have no interest in owning any of them. Their strong emphasis on maintaining an illusory 'FRONT ENGINE, REAR WHEEL DRIVE' profile limits their actual utility both for interior cargo and passenger space. I much prefer a more cab forward design. Model X delivers that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84681&d=1434737985.jpg

[Concept] Model X image without nose-cone and A pillar cross-beam - Page 4

I see what you did there... c4 cactus rubber sidings. Looks nice, minus on the elegance, plus on the funky side.

There are 2 design cues in the prototype that unfortunately appear to be somewhat lost on the mules. A more aggressive rear wing and a raised hump over the rear wheel. Both, if my eyes don't deceive me, are greatly reduced or eliminated on the mules (the wing is smaller and the hump is gone, replaced by a straight line). And if so, I would bet heavily they were both due to aerodynamics. Regardless, I think people will be pleased when real production models are shown. Musk cares about both style and function, and the X will likely be the best possible compromise of both. If you fail on style, you end up with a functional car that looks like a turd. If you fail on function, you end up with a Fisker. I believe the X will succeed on both as best it can.

...potential competitors to Model X... Their hoods are too long. Their stance too erect. The shapes of the windows too disjointed. Their cabins too cramped. I have no interest in owning any of them. Their strong emphasis on maintaining an illusory 'FRONT ENGINE, REAR WHEEL DRIVE' profile limits their actual utility both for interior cargo and passenger space. I much prefer a more cab forward design. Model X delivers that.

Fair points. For the long hood, blame longitudinal engines, e.g. on the premium Germans - the same engine setup that has its roots in RWD. Most German premiums still use longitudinal engines in their larger cars. Transverse engines may not allow for as elegant (ICE) 4WD, but they surely can do miracles in interior space and keeping that bonnet in check, see e.g. Skoda Superb which is pretty superb for an ICE space-wise.

- - - Updated - - -

There are 2 design cues in the prototype that unfortunately appear to be somewhat lost on the mules. A more aggressive rear wing and a raised hump over the rear wheel. Both, if my eyes don't deceive me, are greatly reduced or eliminated on the mules (the wing is smaller and the hump is gone, replaced by a straight line). And if so, I would bet heavily they were both due to aerodynamics. Regardless, I think people will be pleased when real production models are shown. Musk cares about both style and function, and the X will likely be the best possible compromise of both. If you fail on style, you end up with a functional car that looks like a turd. If you fail on function, you end up with a Fisker. I believe the X will succeed on both as best it can.

Good points. The wing I had noted, but it is true that the very "broad shoulders" of Model S and the 2012-2013 Model X prototype have been toned down on the Model X 2015 mules. Probably for the reason you mention, another may be adding to interior space (also note the rumors that prototype had longer wheelbase than S and production/mule X, a change that may have demanded some concessions). A bit of that nice design is, indeed, lost.

- - - Updated - - -

I see what you did there... c4 cactus rubber sidings. Looks nice, minus on the elegance, plus on the funky side.

Bingo. :) That brown(ish) color wouldn't work on a red Model X, but some other color combo might. ;)

Lastly I think it's time we stop calling these "mules" and adopt "production candidate" as the correct term from now on. Tesla is way past the beta stage now.

I'll second that. Elon said clearly on a conference call earlier this year that they were rolling out a bunch (forget the specific word) of production candidates. These are almost undoubtedly production candidates, so I think we should be referring to them as such.

As far as the most recent spy shot, that is definitely the most unflattering of the bunch so far for me. I'm going to chalk it up to a bad angle for the photo and effective camo. Compared to other SUVs/CUVs, putting all the spy shots together (theoretically), I still think this is one of the very best looking SUVs/CUVs on the market. However, I agree that the stretching of some of the dimensions has had a negative aesthetic effect. I can only imagine Elon & crew decided that the improved aerodynamics or functionality made that worthwhile... or they just messed up and can't fix the aesthetics at this stage. In any case, I think the vehicle is set to be one of the best looking SUVs/CUVs out there, with performance, handling, and interior bonuses that nothing else on the market can touch, so I'm not worrying too much.

Not sure if this has been posted yet. I can't tell if this is a different front end or just a better angle:

View attachment 85306
That's a good angle... :)

I hope that Tesla doesn't just continue using the same design and modifying it to different platforms. The X should have been a larger depart from the Model S - not a stretched (vertically) version of the sedan. The Model 3 should be a new/fresh design - not just a mini Model S.

Last edited:
For all the kvetching about the various mules, and camera distortion, there is no way in the universe that any version of the X actually looks in the least like an Aztec. I kept close company with a black Aztec for a while that a friend had on a short lease at seriously giveaway rates because no-one would purchase it. (he took pity on the dealer). Aztec-y is definitely isn't; don't use that term even in jest. Any version is IMO is sleeker than just about all the competition. Absolutely perfect design? No, but in form and function as an SUV its is pretty darn close, and close to darn pretty.

For all the kvetching about the various mules, and camera distortion, there is no way in the universe that any version of the X actually looks in the least like an Aztec. I kept close company with a black Aztec for a while that a friend had on a short lease at seriously giveaway rates because no-one would purchase it. (he took pity on the dealer). Aztec-y is definitely isn't; don't use that term even in jest. Any version is IMO is sleeker than just about all the competition. Absolutely perfect design? No, but in form and function as an SUV its is pretty darn close, and close to darn pretty.

Agreed. Aztec - and certainly some cars like the first generation Fiat Multipla - are to weird-mobiles of sort. Even if Model X would turn out to be failed or controversial in styling (which I think in final paint and trimmings probably won't be), that is still a far cry from a weird-mobile.

It's hard to believe that a company with stunning cars like roadster and model s will make their third car a freakshow/awkward looking/aztec and multipla type of vehicle.
So just lay back, get a drink and popcorns and wait for the show. Some exciting times are coming.
But hey, I can say that, I'm not a reservation holder :biggrin:

It's hard to believe that a company with stunning cars like roadster and model s will make their third car a freakshow/awkward looking/aztec and multipla type of vehicle.
So just lay back, get a drink and popcorns and wait for the show. Some exciting times are coming.
But hey, I can say that, I'm not a reservation holder :biggrin:

Agreed that a freak show it won't be.

But it can still be less than more successful as a design, depending on how much practical factors (interior space, aero/range) dictated things.

Could this huge different in the front really come down to just the angle of the photo? I find it hard to believe.

In this image it looks literally like the front wheels are many many inches further back:
x2.jpg

... than in this picutre (flipped for comparison):

x1.jpg

Above pictures are not in disagreement.
Model X will have very 'pointy' nose when looked from above, like an arrow.

From direct side view as in first picture this "pointedness" cannot be seen, but is seen when looked form further back as in second picture above.

Could this huge different in the front really come down to just the angle of the photo? I find it hard to believe.
Yes, it really comes down to just the angle of the photos and the exact nose shape.

{PICS SNIPPED}

I suspect it's a FrankenX that has test body panels, or scavenged from an S or something.

There's a bazillion things they could be testing on the underlying driveline/platform for which the shape of the body doesn't matter...