Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped at Fremont to charge on July 23 and showed my photos to the Tesla showroom guys. They said the rear end of "the mule" (photos taken at Gilroy) has a model S bumper. They are doing everything they can to hide the small details. The new line is almost finished. The showroom folk get their first tour in two weeks. They are going to build model X and S on the same line. In person, the model X is much larger than it looks and is really large over the back end.

NigelM said:
All standard U.S. tow hitches have the same curve. I have three different sizes and they are all like that.
And there are a number of non standard configurations for type 3/4/5 set ups. I have several in the garage.

OK, thank you for the information. The U.S. hitches I've seen have been more straight, but that could be merely due to the average U.S. car riding higher, sedans/cross-overs may have it differently then. ;) In all seriousness, though, I too would expect it more likely to be a U.S. hitch. It just crossed my mind that the particular mule was camouflaged differently and was filmed at the docks, putting two and two together it might be headed abroad. Probably just silly speculation on my part. Maybe it was dressed for the photoshoot merely.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of what we think about the mules, Tesla has decided the look and it's final. There's no way logistically they could make parts for the September launch/reveal if the design wasn't long since put to bed.

Isn't that the claim of the alleged Eds leaker, though, that production tooling for some parts still haven't been finalized, first Model Xs shipping with prototype parts etc.? I mean, it doesn't sound completely impossible - putting this and other speculation and leaks together - that Tesla might still be toying with some aspects of the car, especially the front or back bumpers that might have aero testing still on-going?

I have zero idea if the claims have any merit to them, but I don't see them as impossible. Of course the sales person allegation could be wrong or outdated, maybe that was the situation when he heard it and it has since changed.

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped at Fremont to charge on July 23 and showed my photos to the Tesla showroom guys. They said the rear end of "the mule" (photos taken at Gilroy) has a model S bumper. They are doing everything they can to hide the small details. The new line is almost finished. The showroom folk get their first tour in two weeks. They are going to build model X and S on the same line. In person, the model X is much larger than it looks and is really large over the back end.

While I perfectly well believe Tesla is hiding details, such as the front (obviously camoed and likely not final) and back (at least lights/trim and bumper has had odd variants too, suggesting non-final)... and I think they can well still change the bumpers and diffusers at least compared to the mules... the part about Model X mules using Model S bumpers makes very little sense. The only way this can be a Model S bumper is basically if it is shoehorned between a Model X mule diffuser, Model X mule skirting, Model X wheelwell trim and Model X mule tailgate. The skirting and the diffuser can't be from a Model X size-wise and if the bumper indeed is from Model S, and assuming it would fit dimensions-wise, designing the different tailgate and wheelwell trim to sit over it seems quite a bit of work. I mean, I guess in theory it could look possible, but seems such a minor thing when most of the rear shape comes from the trunk and the diffuser that can't be from a Model S.

What I can believe is the possibility that Tesla would make temporary Model S designed, but Model X sized, rear bumpers and diffusers - and same with front - for the mules. That I can believe and that is the type of minor concealment, camouflage that is easily part of the game (more easily than entirely different exterior panels allthroughout for example). In fact, I'm leaning on this considering how everything else on the mules seems to be improving, but not the front bumper/cone and the rear bumper/diffuser.

I agree Tesla seems to have borrowed from Model S the front interior on the mules, though.

Now, the part about showroom folks getting their first tour makes a lot more sense, considering we've heard of the public tours shutdown for the next two weeks or so.

8e5edad3afa8d076827fde8cd2c97349.jpg

270A8226.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't that the claim of the alleged Eds leaker, though, that production tooling for some parts still haven't been finalized, first Model Xs shipping with prototype parts etc.? I mean, it doesn't sound completely impossible - putting this and other speculation and leaks together - that Tesla might still be toying with some aspects of the car, especially the front or back bumpers that might have aero testing still on-going?

I have zero idea if the claims have any merit to them, but I don't see them as impossible. Of course the sales person allegation could be wrong or outdated, maybe that was the situation when he heard it and it has since changed.

Sure Eds could have a point if he was talking about seat stiching or how long a piece of cable should be; we're talking here though about pressing and molding huge pieces of bodywork to production standard and that requires tooling. As for shipping with prototype parts, the first customers are 'Founders' (that's board members etc) and early Sigs (the majority of whom are repeat customers) and it would be nuts to think that those folks are going to accept cars that do not look production quality. Believe me, you're arguing with the calendar if you think it's still possible that design isn't final yet.

Sure Eds could have a point if he was talking about seat stiching or how long a piece of cable should be; we're talking here though about pressing and molding huge pieces of bodywork to production standard and that requires tooling. As for shipping with prototype parts, the first customers are 'Founders' (that's board members etc) and early Sigs (the majority of whom are repeat customers) and it would be nuts to think that those folks are going to accept cars that do not look production quality. Believe me, you're arguing with the calendar if you think it's still possible that design isn't final yet.

You may be right, of course. I am not qualified to judge what is possible and not for Tesla in this regard nor do I have anything on the veracity of Eds. However, to be clear, I didn't take the three different designs as anything very large - more like the kind of changes the Model S went pre-production in the front bumper area. Perhaps Tesla has already tooled those three variants and is merely testing which to choose. Just a theory, I think it could fit.

I believe the Model S Founders cars shipped with a slightly different nosecone design than later Model S, for example. That type of thing.

Anyway, looking forward to the unveil and the end to speculation and unofficial fact-finding! :)

Dies and molds are finished, anyone with production experience will tell you that it MUST be the case if Tesla wants to put customer cars (even if they are Founders) on the road in September, even if it's late September. Don't forget that prior to 1st production of components there will be engineering work to be finished, specs to be drawn/written then test runs and pilot batches produced, next comes tooling adjustment and refinement, component fit adjustments etc.; factor in even the smallest amount of shipping time and allow for actual vehicle production to actually take place and it's clear that there's actually no way that design wouldn't be finalized yet.

The only way that rumor would be true is if there was another delay in the launch, but just last week Elon indicated that cars will be out this quarter.

Tesla rolled out the Founders series Model S, perhaps some Signatures as well with a different nose cone than the rest of production vehicles. A similar small design element having three options at this point certainly seems possible to me. Things just happen differently at Tesla. My skepticism about this point is more that we've seen all kinds of things posted here attributed to comments from individual Tesla employees that just have not turned out to be correct.

You may be right, of course. I am not qualified to judge what is possible and not for Tesla in this regard nor do I have anything on the veracity of Eds. However, to be clear, I didn't take the three different designs as anything very large - more like the kind of changes the Model S went pre-production in the front bumper area. Perhaps Tesla has already tooled those three variants and is merely testing which to choose. Just a theory, I think it could fit.

Board members (and investors for that matter) would not allow Tesla to tool three different variants just because they couldn't make up their minds on design. You're assuming there's different designs because you're seeing different camos on the mules. Feel free to research tooling leadtimes....:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla rolled out the Founders series Model S, perhaps some Signatures as well with a different nose cone than the rest of production vehicles. A similar small design element having three options at this point certainly seems possible to me. Things just happen differently at Tesla. My skepticism about this point is more that we've seen all kinds of things posted here attributed to comments from individual Tesla employees that just have not turned out to be correct.

I don't recall when the nosecone design changed but IIRC it was on some production cars, not just for the Founders cars and it was on the Sigs; I have one of the original designs. I agree with you on the appropriate skepticism.

Last edited:
Board members (and investors for that matter) would not allow Tesla to tool three different variants just because they couldn't make up their minds on design. You're assuming there's different designs because you're seeing different camos on the mules. Feel free to research tooling leadtimes....:rolleyes:

You are very strict about these things, I've noted. I am - as usual - more open to various possibilities. It may be just one of those cases where these worldviews clash a little, even if our actual opinions don't clash that much. I don't see this as an either-or kind of thing.

Nothing I say about the three designs is based on the Model X mules, either. It is merely musing the allegation made by the Tesla peep someone on TMC (few messages back) talked to who made the claim of three designs. I am considering if that is possible and I see no reason why Tesla couldn't be toying with a few designs still for minor parts that might affect looks or aero - and still be undecided, like they were on the Model S nose (shipped two variants of the cone and tested multiple). Or at least could have been some time ago, if the Tesla employee's information was dated. Together with Eds claim that things are behind schedule for some parts, it doesn't seem impossible at least.

I don't have your confidence in dismissing the claim, that's all.

You are very strict about these things, I've noted. I am - as usual - more open to various possibilities.

But apparently not open to the fact that the calendar is what it is and there are only 7 days in a week and 52 weeks in a year. You're arguing with the calendar my friend and I'm arguing with a brick wall. Kinda crazy on both our parts. :)

Nothing I say about the three designs is based on the Model X mules, either. It is merely musing the allegation made by the Tesla peep someone on TMC (few messages back) talked to who made the claim of three designs.

Somebody want to link that post? I searched all over and couldn't find it.

But apparently not open to the fact that the calendar is what it is and there are only 7 days in a week and 52 weeks in a year. You're arguing with the calendar my friend and I'm arguing with a brick wall. Kinda crazy on both our parts. :)

Somebody want to link that post? I searched all over and couldn't find it.

Here's the post:

Okay, so not a sighting but something close. I was in the Bay Area this week and bumped into a Tesla staffer. He indicated he'd recently been getting training on the X, that the design studio was coming very very soon, but that there were 3 last looks they were experimenting with and hadn't decided upon. These must be quite minor at this point I'd think, but it does show the situation would seem to be fluid still. He said no matter which is picked they are all spectacular. BUT...he said they are worried about a negative reaction due to the range of the X being less than what we're used to with the S. That would imply that no magic 100kWh is going to be jumping out of the cake...

It is perfectly possible the info is wrong, after all I disagreed with another Tesla employee source (in another post a few pages back) that the Model X mules could use Model S bumpers. But I do think they could use a Model S design based decoy bumpers, so it can be subtle things that sources get wrong even if they mean well and actually have been (somewhat) informed... Also, that employee might have gotten their info some time ago, so the design decision and parts ordering may have already happened since. Or it could all be wrong, of course.

Anyway, regarding the three looks, I agree it can't be anything major. It may also be they are spoofing a little towards their team to keep secrets (like who shot J.R. being filmed multiple times with different actors). But also, my calendar doesn't say it is impossible for them to still change something - like they did on the Model S nosecone. Experimenting sounds like maybe aero and small nose or rear changes could play a part there. That something won't be anything big, though, if they want to meet their latest self-imposed deadline. :)

I don't think we disagree on this one much, really. But if we do, it's OK too, it will soon be for naught.

Board members are not going to be involved at this level of detail. Their concern / inquiries are at a completely different level. Would be basically impossible to run a company of this size with BOD members getting involved like this.

Board members are not going to be involved at this level of detail. Their concern / inquiries are at a completely different level. Would be basically impossible to run a company of this size with BOD members getting involved like this.

This is the biggest product launch for Tesla in 3 years and will (probably) remain the biggest for another 3 years; you can be pretty certain that the BOD knows what X will look like and that they've kept an eye on R&D and capital expenditures (including tooling).

This is the biggest product launch for Tesla in 3 years and will (probably) remain the biggest for another 3 years; you can be pretty certain that the BOD knows what X will look like and that they've kept an eye on R&D and capital expenditures (including tooling).

When we look at the setting Sun, the fact is that it set 8 minutes ago and it takes that long for the light rays to reach us.

When we heard about 3 different designs, it could have been a decision that was made 8 weeks ago and it just took that long for us to hear about it. Its possible that the employee was right and the information is just old. Who knows how many people that piece of news travelled before reaching the employee in question and then ElectricFarmBoy.

Here's the post:

It is perfectly possible the info is wrong, after all I disagreed with another Tesla employee source (in another post a few pages back) that the Model X mules could use Model S bumpers. But I do think they could use a Model S design based decoy bumpers, so it can be subtle things that sources get wrong even if they mean well and actually have been (somewhat) informed... Also, that employee might have gotten their info some time ago, so the design decision and parts ordering may have already happened since. Or it could all be wrong, of course.

Anyway, regarding the three looks, I agree it can't be anything major. It may also be they are spoofing a little towards their team to keep secrets (like who shot J.R. being filmed multiple times with different actors). But also, my calendar doesn't say it is impossible for them to still change something - like they did on the Model S nosecone. Experimenting sounds like maybe aero and small nose or rear changes could play a part there. That something won't be anything big, though, if they want to meet their latest self-imposed deadline. :)

I don't think we disagree on this one much, really. But if we do, it's OK too, it will soon be for naught.

When I read the post, I assumed 3 possible interior options they had two decode upon, like banana leaf and tan liner vs. Chocolate leather and walnut. This is what is delaying the design centre, not 3 possible exterior car designs.

When we look at the setting Sun, the fact is that it set 8 minutes ago and it takes that long for the light rays to reach us.

When we heard about 3 different designs, it could have been a decision that was made 8 weeks ago and it just took that long for us to hear about it. Its possible that the employee was right and the information is just old. Who knows how many people that piece of news travelled before reaching the employee in question and then ElectricFarmBoy.

Technically when the sun sets it happens instantly because it is your perception from your POV that defines "set". If it explodes or goes purple then yes, it would take 8min. :)
But it is a good point, and broken telephone+multiple channels+delays makes for a lot of noise even if the original info is accurate.

Interior look changes is, of course, also a possible scenario - or both exterior and interior.

I agree about the employee potentially having old news and said as much "that employee might have gotten their info some time ago".

Really, broken telephone complemented by filling in the blanks with own inventions, is one real problem with any source. We can't really know for sure what they did hear, what they did understand (may be different) and what they added on their own but perhaps don't even realize they are embellishing way beyond facts etc. And the same with their source, did that source hear right, understand right or embellish on their own etc.

Anyway, interesting few tidbits from Tesla people in the recent days. Apparently there is training going on. So you who know them, keep talking to them and report back. Good luck for the hunt. :)