Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
That's a reasonable guess. I'm gonna go a little different on one point, though - I'm betting the "model 3 w/falcon door" is actually half model 3/half Model Y (Model 3X? whatever the Model 3 CUV version ends up being called) clay model that I've heard mentioned a couple times on the forum (I think that tidbit came from an interview, but I'm not sure?)

The "door" section isn't nearly tall/wide enough to have created a viable door opening IMHO (it doesn't stick out from the roof line at all and isn't high enough to have the whole sidewall in it) - and I'm pretty sure we've been told that they have a half and half clay model.
Walter

Didn't that journalist say a while ago that he saw a Model 3 with two different sides for comparison ?

AR,
There will be two vehicles on the 3 platform, a CUV and a sedan. What I was getting at was that when the article described the design studio, it mentioned a team working on a model 3 clay model with a different style on each side.

As for the half uncovered clay model, I definitely think it's the X. And I think the height of the people I frame is what is throwing of the perception of size. I can't put my finger on it, but the shape seems more refined than the mules.

My point was: What if there was no Model 3 CUV clay model there but it was always just Model X? Plenty of folk have confused Model X with Model 3 on TMC. It could happen elsewhere too. Just a theory.

Are we sure there is a Model 3 CUV coming?

Didn't that journalist say a while ago that he saw a Model 3 with two different sides for comparison ?

Yes. I was trying to remember where I'd read something like that. With a little help, here's the quote, from the waitbutwhy interview article:

How Tesla Will Change The World - Wait But Why

The studio, which I described in the last post, is a shiny playroom of art and physics. Von Holzhausen showed me a full-size clay car that was simultaneously testing two different possible designs for the upcoming Model 3 by making the two halves of the model different. He explained how precise everything about car design is and how “a difference of a quarter millimeter can spread itself across the entire car.”

After reviewing the clay model photos, I am amazed that no one has suggested that 3/4 and 7/8 scale models are the norm in the auto industry.

Good point.

I ponder again: Is there really a Model 3 *CUV* clay model or is that just people extrapolating - or confusing a smaller Model X clay model with Model 3? Many have mistaken the Model X mule (!) to Model 3 on TMC over several different spotting threads. Seems to be a common mistake.

Even if we assume CUV will come (is it really sure though?), is Tesla already making and showing clay models of it? Or are they still working mainly to decide on the initial Model 3 design - of which they've been toying with some variants as we know?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it has been confirmed numerous times. What is unclear is what the timing is of the CUV variant versus the sedan/hatchback.

Confirmed officially? Or just hints towards it? How do we know it isn't a variant Tesla is considering but not committed to?

This said, I agree a CUV makes sense. U.S. likes SUVs and Europe might prefer CUVs where stationwagons aren't available. I'm guessing Tesla can't make the latter. ;)

Good point.

I ponder again: Is there really a Model 3 *CUV* clay model or is that just people extrapolating - or confusing a smaller Model X clay model with Model 3? Many have mistaken the Model X mule (!) to Model 3 on TMC over several different spotting threads. Seems to be a common mistake.

Even if we assume CUV will come (is it really sure though?), is Tesla already making and showing clay models of it? Or are they still working mainly to decide on the initial Model 3 design - of which they've been toying with some variants as we know?

Who is stating that the clay model is a Model-3? I thought everyone was in agreement that it was the Model-X? Personally, I think it was a deliberate tease, with the Australian designers coyingly deliberating how much they can show. I felt that Tesla deliberately showed only that portion of the vehicle, because the front is where the biggest impact is going to be.

AnxietyRanger said:
Good point.

Who is stating that the clay model is a Model-3? I thought everyone was in agreement that it was the Model-X? Personally, I think it was a deliberate tease, with the Australian designers coyingly deliberating how much they can show. I felt that Tesla deliberately showed only that portion of the vehicle, because the front is where the biggest impact is going to be.

People up-thread speculated Model 3 clay model was shown. I speculated it might have been merely a smaller-to-scale Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

AnxietyRanger said:
.¥Confirmed officially? Or just hints towards it?
Yes, OFFICIALLY a Model 3 CUV has been talked about numerous times OFFICIALLY as being the plan. Geesh!

A link would have been enough, no need to yell. :)

So, is the TMC concensus it is a *fact* and not speculation a CUV Model 3 is confirmed?

- - - Updated - - -

The one place where it's in print that "Elon said it" is in the Ashlee Vance book.

Thank you ohmman and tom66.

Yes, OFFICIALLY a Model 3 CUV has been talked about numerous times OFFICIALLY as being the plan. Geesh!

Geesh indeed!
"Tesla Gen III Sedan And Crossover"
GenIII.jpg

Last edited: