Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X or Y for our family?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ERt28K7U4AAHWI1

FWD Clearance is not much of an issue. This is my Holiday house's garage. I park the car close to the right wall (left in the photo) so I can get out on the side of that fence in the photo. The FWD cleverly moves up and then folds out, allowing it to open almost fully. It's up high enough that nobody bumps their head. As the second row bench is flat and has a flat floor, folks can simply slide over to the side with the open FWD.

View attachment 515479

Sure. Parking closer to one side works. But, in some newer construction 2-car garages, you won’t have that much room. Fortunately, I don’t have this issue, but some newer build homes these days, the garage can be quite small.

And what happens when you have two kids in car seats in the rear? You need space to open on both sides.

And what happens when you have two kids in car seats in the rear? You need space to open on both sides.

Yes you do. In my particular case, at my normal house (the photo is from our "holiday hut") in our garage I have a wall on one side and my wife's Stationwagon on the other. Quite close.
So I park far away enough from the wall to be able to use that FWD and the FWD on my wife's car side simply moves up, then over her car's roof. It's pure genius.

Yes you do. In my particular case, at my normal house (the photo is from our "holiday hut") in our garage I have a wall on one side and my wife's Stationwagon on the other. Quite close.
So I park far away enough from the wall to be able to use that FWD and the FWD on my wife's car side simply moves up, then over her car's roof. It's pure genius.

Interesting. How tall is your garage ceiling?
My garage ceiling is at 10 feet and with the S next to the X, the FWD never went over the S.

Interesting. How tall is your garage ceiling?
2m70 (8.85 ft).

I left out one little detail. On the wife car side, there is an small electrical conduit that the top-sensor notices. It therefore never opens up that FWD all the way up. So only on that side, I always have to force that FWD open all the way (and there is no "save this height on this location" function in my car, wrote about that in another thread) but it does open all the way, up and over wifey's car and it misses the conduit by 2 inches (5ish centimetres).

Darned Americans stop using that silly, ancient, illogical imperial system! Saves me from having to converting cm-inches etc. etc. all the time. The Canadians did it. Why can't you :D

FWD Clearance is not much of an issue. This is my Holiday house's garage. I park the car close to the right wall (left in the photo) so I can get out on the side of that fence in the photo. The FWD cleverly moves up and then folds out, allowing it to open almost fully. It's up high enough that nobody bumps their head. As the second row bench is flat and has a flat floor, folks can simply slide over to the side with the open FWD.

View attachment 515479
Oh my. I did not even know the FWDs could bend like that. I guess I need to find a tight space to stress test them.

Is a new X this summer confirmed/rumored?
There is no chance they don’t upgrade the S and X soon. They will have more range, redesigned interior and other differentiators from the 3 and Y. Right now there isn’t enough differentiation. Also top of the line cars should be able to take full advantage of V3 supercharge which S and X can’t do currently. Too many signs pointing to refresh imminent. Summer or fall this year.